Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New Player Saying Hello, with Observations and Questions

Hello!

I originally played EverQuest as a teenager around Kunark time, and now with some free time and a dearth of good MMO games to play, I am feeling nostalgic. As a teenager I fell in love with the world of EQ but I never got to higher than about level 30. I had a lot of alts in the range of up to level 10 or so because I couldn't decide on any one. It wasn't until my next games (Dark Age of Camelot, World of WarCraft) that I would mature as a player and reach max levels.

Now I want to see some of what I missed, and I am going to level up to 60 at least. I have some observations from my first look and also some questions. Keep in mind that having played a very long time ago through the eyes of a younger person, I might remember some specific advanced things while at the same time being completely clueless about even the simplest and most obvious things.

Observations/Questions:
1) The interface looks different! I remember some kind of white, stone-like background for all the UI elements and don't remember them being gray and easily moved around. I also seem to remember the spellbook being larger. Do I regenerate mana if I sit down without the spellbook open, or do I need to have it open like I seem to remember?

2) I don't remember being able to zoom out to third-person over the shoulder point of view. Was that always possible? I think I played in first-person perspective all of the time. Am I setting myself at a large disadvantage if I stick to first-person point of view?

3) I can see at night! My first time playing EverQuest, I'm pretty sure that the screen went mostly black at night away from light and I ended up drowning in a shallow pool of water in an elf city, then made a new character. It took me a while before I learned what "gamma correction" was back then. It seems that the default gamma correction setting in Project 1999 is better in that regard? I haven't had to do anything special to be able to see better. I also very vaguely remember having some kind of light source like a torch but I don't know how to get one anymore.

4) There's a Priest of Order? I definitely remember the Priest of Discord and pretty much the first thing I learned in old EQ was to delete that book. It also turns out I had forgotten that punching bats with your fists is harder than it sounds, but thankfully the guards helped me out as I ran screaming back to town. Then I remembered that I could turn in this note I started with for a dagger and am having much better results with that.

5) But no, I don't want any items given to me, or even buffs. I'd like to experience the game as I wish I could have as a teenager, but never had the time, independence, or maturity to really spend in it. Now I have it, and I am amazed at this fan project and how much it has succeeded! But that leads me to my questions.

6) With how successful this Project 1999 server has been, and how many years it has been running, I wonder how different my experience will be than it would have been in 1999, or even starting here in 2010? Is pretty much everyone maximum level and giving their alts amazing gear, or can I still enjoy a reasonably-paced group environment? Either way, I still intend to explore Norrath, even if I have to do it mostly alone, but I'd like to know what the grouping experience will be like.

7) As I was as a teenager, I am very conflicted in what I want to play, but this time I'm going to settle on a single class and avoid the alt-itis. I usually play a spellcaster, so I'm looking at the enchanter, wizard, mage, and necromancer, all of which I remember getting at least to level 10 or so and the mage was what I played to level 30 before. The wizard was what originally appealed to me most as a teenager, but the class seemed very narrowly focused in what it can do. The enchanter is appealing because of its illusions, because I want to be able to explore as much as possible, and it also seems like a desired group member. I also used to play a sorcerer in Dark Age of Camelot if anyone knows that, and it's similar to an enchanter. The necromancer is probably the most interesting to me right now, because I've been playing a warlock in World of WarCraft for the last several years, and being a level 60 Warlock in EverQuest is definitely very appealing, along with being very good at soloing, and being useful for things like corpse recovery later on. Mage is bottom of the list but possible too. Do any fans of these classes, or an entirely different one, have some words of wisdom or recommendations?

8) Assuming I do go with a necromancer, I'd really, really rather play a human necromancer than an Iksar. My old EQ level 10ish necromancer was Iksar and I would just prefer to be human for aesthetic reasons. Being a human follower of Bertoxxullous just really calls to me. In addition I think being human opens up more of the world to me to explore than an Iksar would, correct? In the sense that I can freely enter more cities and have immediate access to the main continents? Will the elf guards in Faydark kill me on sight just for being a necromancer? However I do know that I'm giving up a big advantage from the higher life regen. What I'd really like to know is, can I still be human and be viable, or should I just roll a different class if I don't like Iksar that much? I don't care about being optimal, but I'd still like to be playable once I get to level 60. Will I be?

9) I'm not currently intending to participate much in the "end game", but I'd like to leave the possibility open if I end up finding this experience very enjoyable. Would I be viable in the end game as a human necromancer, both as a human (lower life regen) and as a necromancer? Are necromancers useful in high level groups, like I've read? What about in raids, though, are necromancers useful in those as well? Do they just give mana (twitch?) to healers and buff (that's okay with me), or do they also add some damage too? Are necromancers useful enough to be desirable in end game activities, or are just a very few friends tolerated and the rest are not really wanted?

10) Speaking of the end game on a very mature server, I've heard that the raiding scene is best described as "crowded". Does this mean that for most people who play more casually, they are liable to be locked out of most end game content? I never got anywhere near to end game in my original EQ experience, and my raiding experience is from World of WarCraft (totally different), so I'm totally clueless in this aspect of EQ. I'm fearing the worst and assuming that it won't be something that I could take part in someday, but that's okay as my primary goal is just to experience EQ as I didn't really get the chance before. It would just be nice if the door was open to more if I wanted it later, but if not, it won't change things for me now.

11) I looked at the Ragefire time-locked progression server that Daybreak is releasing, but all of the differences from original EverQuest turned me away from it. However, I'm used to subscribing to MMOs, so assuming that I stay around once I get started, I'd like to steer a little bit of that money to help maintain the game I'm playing in. What is the norm for donating to maintain the project and pay for its expenses? $10/month, per three months, per year? Yes I know "every little bit helps" but I'm curious what is considered standard by the community that does contribute.

Thanks for reading, I'm looking forward to seeing you in game. Hopefully you found my observations amusing, and some of you can answer my questions, whether to reassure me about my race/class choice or confirm my fears to change it, and what the end game will be like for me eventually.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:31 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikterion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello!

I originally played EverQuest as a teenager around Kunark time, and now with some free time and a dearth of good MMO games to play, I am feeling nostalgic. As a teenager I fell in love with the world of EQ but I never got to higher than about level 30. I had a lot of alts in the range of up to level 10 or so because I couldn't decide on any one. It wasn't until my next games (Dark Age of Camelot, World of WarCraft) that I would mature as a player and reach max levels.

Now I want to see some of what I missed, and I am going to level up to 60 at least. I have some observations from my first look and also some questions. Keep in mind that having played a very long time ago through the eyes of a younger person, I might remember some specific advanced things while at the same time being completely clueless about even the simplest and most obvious things.

Observations/Questions:
1) The interface looks different! I remember some kind of white, stone-like background for all the UI elements and don't remember them being gray and easily moved around. I also seem to remember the spellbook being larger. Do I regenerate mana if I sit down without the spellbook open, or do I need to have it open like I seem to remember?
Your memory is correct. They havnt been able to force old interface. the original spellbook took up the entire screen and you had to open it before level 30 to med back mana. here you only need to sit and have the skill (level 4 for int casters 8 for priests 12 for hybrids)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikterion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2) I don't remember being able to zoom out to third-person over the shoulder point of view. Was that always possible? I think I played in first-person perspective all of the time. Am I setting myself at a large disadvantage if I stick to first-person point of view?
was originally first person or pan camera not third person like we have now.
It's up to you how you play. some classes can benefit alot by third person mode (CC for example)

Quote:
3) I can see at night! My first time playing EverQuest, I'm pretty sure that the screen went mostly black at night away from light and I ended up drowning in a shallow pool of water in an elf city, then made a new character. It took me a while before I learned what "gamma correction" was back then. It seems that the default gamma correction setting in Project 1999 is better in that regard? I haven't had to do anything special to be able to see better. I also very vaguely remember having some kind of light source like a torch but I don't know how to get one anymore.
Originally there was no gamma control. now there is with more modern hardware. They recently did darken it up more than it used to be but it's still not quite there.
There are lanturns on vendors or you can make one. or kill whisps and get a lightstone

Quote:
4) There's a Priest of Order? I definitely remember the Priest of Discord and pretty much the first thing I learned in old EQ was to delete that book. It also turns out I had forgotten that punching bats with your fists is harder than it sounds, but thankfully the guards helped me out as I ran screaming back to town. Then I remembered that I could turn in this note I started with for a dagger and am having much better results with that.
priest of order is the quest npc for removing pvp flag if you turned in the book to the priest of discord

Quote:
5) But no, I don't want any items given to me, or even buffs. I'd like to experience the game as I wish I could have as a teenager, but never had the time, independence, or maturity to really spend in it. Now I have it, and I am amazed at this fan project and how much it has succeeded! But that leads me to my questions.
good for you. however remember that people on live also gifted items. My wife made a wiz and went to tox (was erudite). some random walked past and gave her 100pp for spells. she was hooked from then on

Quote:
6) With how successful this Project 1999 server has been, and how many years it has been running, I wonder how different my experience will be than it would have been in 1999, or even starting here in 2010? Is pretty much everyone maximum level and giving their alts amazing gear, or can I still enjoy a reasonably-paced group environment? Either way, I still intend to explore Norrath, even if I have to do it mostly alone, but I'd like to know what the grouping experience will be like.
there is alot of grouping. the no boxing rule means people tend to group more. you still get twinks that solo alot, but some of them just like grouping too

Quote:
7) As I was as a teenager, I am very conflicted in what I want to play, but this time I'm going to settle on a single class and avoid the alt-itis. I usually play a spellcaster, so I'm looking at the enchanter, wizard, mage, and necromancer, all of which I remember getting at least to level 10 or so and the mage was what I played to level 30 before. The wizard was what originally appealed to me most as a teenager, but the class seemed very narrowly focused in what it can do. The enchanter is appealing because of its illusions, because I want to be able to explore as much as possible, and it also seems like a desired group member. I also used to play a sorcerer in Dark Age of Camelot if anyone knows that, and it's similar to an enchanter. The necromancer is probably the most interesting to me right now, because I've been playing a warlock in World of WarCraft for the last several years, and being a level 60 Warlock in EverQuest is definitely very appealing, along with being very good at soloing, and being useful for things like corpse recovery later on. Mage is bottom of the list but possible too. Do any fans of these classes, or an entirely different one, have some words of wisdom or recommendations?
play what you want and dot worry about altistis. you will want to experiment.
That said, mage and necro are the easier classes to solo and both are useful to groups. necro often hardr to find a grp than a mage. chanter is a bit hit and miss. sometimes everyone is screaming out for one, then other times groups already have 1 or 2 so dont need another. Wiz will find it the hardest of all to find groups, but once they get to 29 they can quad as an option too. they are the most mobile of the 4 with porting

Quote:
8) Assuming I do go with a necromancer, I'd really, really rather play a human necromancer than an Iksar. My old EQ level 10ish necromancer was Iksar and I would just prefer to be human for aesthetic reasons. Being a human follower of Bertoxxullous just really calls to me. In addition I think being human opens up more of the world to me to explore than an Iksar would, correct? In the sense that I can freely enter more cities and have immediate access to the main continents? Will the elf guards in Faydark kill me on sight just for being a necromancer? However I do know that I'm giving up a big advantage from the higher life regen. What I'd really like to know is, can I still be human and be viable, or should I just roll a different class if I don't like Iksar that much? I don't care about being optimal, but I'd still like to be playable once I get to level 60. Will I be?
necro are geneally hated by goodies everywhere. humans can get into more places than an iksa, but why should a necro care about faction? with FD yu can bank anywhere. only issue is selling. velious is out soon and that's like a faction reset anyway after level 30. Iksar is a far superior race choice due to regen but any race is a viable necro

Quote:
9) I'm not currently intending to participate much in the "end game", but I'd like to leave the possibility open if I end up finding this experience very enjoyable. Would I be viable in the end game as a human necromancer, both as a human (lower life regen) and as a necromancer? Are necromancers useful in high level groups, like I've read? What about in raids, though, are necromancers useful in those as well? Do they just give mana (twitch?) to healers and buff (that's okay with me), or do they also add some damage too? Are necromancers useful enough to be desirable in end game activities, or are just a very few friends tolerated and the rest are not really wanted?
necros are more useful in groups than many give them credit for. especially in zones that have undead. On raids they are generally used as mana batteries for the healers. necro dots dont stack so more than 1 doing DPS isnt viable

Quote:
10) Speaking of the end game on a very mature server, I've heard that the raiding scene is best described as "crowded". Does this mean that for most people who play more casually, they are liable to be locked out of most end game content? I never got anywhere near to end game in my original EQ experience, and my raiding experience is from World of WarCraft (totally different), so I'm totally clueless in this aspect of EQ. I'm fearing the worst and assuming that it won't be something that I could take part in someday, but that's okay as my primary goal is just to experience EQ as I didn't really get the chance before. It would just be nice if the door was open to more if I wanted it later, but if not, it won't change things for me now.
there are semi casual raiding guilds that would take you in so you can get a glimpse at end game

Quote:
11) I looked at the Ragefire time-locked progression server that Daybreak is releasing, but all of the differences from original EverQuest turned me away from it. However, I'm used to subscribing to MMOs, so assuming that I stay around once I get started, I'd like to steer a little bit of that money to help maintain the game I'm playing in. What is the norm for donating to maintain the project and pay for its expenses? $10/month, per three months, per year? Yes I know "every little bit helps" but I'm curious what is considered standard by the community that does contribute.
it's a donation based server. it's entirely up to you what you do here
Old 05-26-2015, 05:42 PM
Kobold

Hello! Welcome back!

To answer some of your questions:
1-3: not entirely classic, but minor in the grand scheme of things. In terms of camera, you will need 3rd person for certain squishy classes. By all means, play 1st person for the immersion - but you will be making life difficult for yourself i.e. getting jumped by mobs. If that appeals, more power to you!

6: given the server's age and 4 years in Kunark, things have changed in terms of loot, plat and raids at the end game. That said, there are LOTS of returning players inc myself, and without progression beyond Velious, there is no rush. Lots of us have additional responsibilities, so you'll have plenty of time to smell the roses. It is never going to be a pristine experience like 1999 - but it damn near captures the spirit and gameplay. CR? Oh yeah! Exp loss? Oh yeah! "Loading. Please Wait .." Oh yeah! Punching bats with your bare fists? Oh yeah! Trains? Oh yeah! Player interdependence? Oh yeah! Forum drama? Hell yeah! All your classic, EQ staples are right here.

The community is super friendly to lowbies.

10: like Live, but with 'roids. Casual raiding in Live would be Naggy/Vox PUGs. Raiding in EQ has never been casual - especially if you have an interest in high-level equipment and raid targets. Velious should ameliorate the stagnant scene, but EQ has always been competitive with congested spawns. If it is your goal - like it is mine, albeit Old World raid content - you will need to find a raid capable guild at some stage and/or grab an invite. Just do not expect many, if any, raid PUGs.
Riotgirl - formerly High Elf Enchanter | Ayonae Ro
Old 05-26-2015, 05:50 PM
Aviak

I just started this weekend, and I have a lot of the same kinds of questions and am working from a pretty similar background.

I wish I had more answers to help you haha.

I can tell you...

1) The interface is definitely different. Not sure exactly whether or not meditation requiring keeping the spellbook open, but I'm doing it anyway. It's not really a big drawback to keep it open with this UI because it doesn't block your view of the game world like it did with the original UI.

2) Can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure there was a 3rd person camera angle for the whole time the game existing.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:16 PM
Aviak

Other questions have been answered, but I'll field this one.

Quote:
2) I don't remember being able to zoom out to third-person over the shoulder point of view. Was that always possible?
Yes. I have screenshots from July 1999, just a few months after release, showing my character in third person.

EDIT: I should say that zooming straight out using mousewheel wasn't possible, but getting a third-person view of your character has been possible from Day 1. In P99, the F9 key cycles between camera views. Don't remember what it was on Live.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:24 PM
Planar Protector

med book was until lvl 35, kender
Old 05-26-2015, 09:11 PM
Planar Protector

Welcome to the server!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Planar Protector

Get in there and play!
Old 05-26-2015, 11:06 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks everyone!

Random things I've learned so far:

Level 2 fire beetles will hand your ass to you at level 1.

Apparently I need to eat and drink? I'm currently looking for a food vendor, but I honestly didn't remember having to eat and drink. I'm running around looking for cheap food and drink but the tavern only had alcohol.

Alligator hides and eggs sell for lots of gold, enough to buy new spells.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:00 AM
Kobold

I joined Live 5/6 months during SoV. Definitely had to eat and drink. Obviously am unable to state if this was the same as 1999.

What class are you? Did you plump for Human Necro in the end? What zone are you in? Guessing Freeport i.e. bats, fire beetles, and thinking Human Necro. It also took me a while [Neriak] to locate the vendor selling food / water supplies. Starting out is a challenge - however, having played before (albeit many years ago) provides a huge head-start compared to brand new players.

It still takes a while to re-learn what you can handle with your current skills and equipment - all part of the fun!
Riotgirl - formerly High Elf Enchanter | Ayonae Ro
Last edited by Riotgirl; 05-27-2015 at 03:03 AM..
Closed Thread