Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-21-2020, 07:33 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Repeatedly going 'linkdead' despite no loss of internet connection

Good Evening,

Thanks for reading this. I've been enjoying P99 immensely, however it's crashing so often at this point it's rendering it unplayable. Namely, I keep 'going linkdead' (when I press f11 the ticker goes down from 100% to 0) and if I let this play out it eventually displays the dreaded 'you have been disconnected' black screen with white text. I have no idea why, since this is not accompanied (from what I can tell) by a loss of my internet connection (I can browse the internet in a separate window successfully literally while I'm 'going linkdead').

I hope this isn't a question asked super often or something obvious I missed. I'll confess that as of right now I have a fresh Windows 7 install without all of the updates installed yet (they're gradually installing and configuring as I turn my computer off and on again). However, this was happening to a lesser extent prior to my new Windows installation.

I'm running Windows 7 on an HP Elitebook 2540p laptop. If there's anything else I should post please let me know.

Thanks and happy hunting
Old 06-21-2020, 08:27 PM
Kobold

P1999 everquest is a UDP application. being able to surf or ping or any other TCP test of your internet will not tell you if you are screwed. If your packets do not flow in a timely matter, you'll be disconnected (no retransmissions like loading a website).
1. Is it when zoning? you could have port issues on your router/modem. try resetting your router/modem
2. Are you doing wireless? try wired connection
3. Are you doing other things on the laptop at the same time as EQ? see if eliminating the other stuff helps
4. Is your ISP AT&T? ruh roh! try a VPN if you have already paid for one
5. I said ping tests wouldn't really help, but you can run continuous pings to project1999.com -t and look at them next time you go linkdead.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:43 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks. I'll try a wired connection for now.

So if I'm understanding this right, I can temporarily (like for a split second) get disconnected from the internet and then I'll go LD in EQ, even if I get reconnected to the internet a moment later? That's been my theory of how this works at any rate. Sorry for being somewhat tech unsavvy/clueless about all this.