Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 03:58 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
More so than than the "irrational hatred" is the how do you police permitted boxing? A blanket ban on boxing and requiring IP exemptions for multi-player households is far less overhead than allowing 2 clients per person at a time whether on one computer or two computers.

When you get into allowing people 2 clients per person/computer/connection, then you start running into the issue of GMs having to police whether that is 4 people sitting at a camp, 2 people with 2 computers and 2 clients each, 1 person playing 4 characters across 2 boxes 2 connections.

With boxing, the server population would increase by at least 50% at any given time. EC would be loaded with 400+ people idling a trader character. People would just load up a port bot / heal bot instead of asking for other people's help. People would power level themselves, thereby monopolizing more content. People would be able to lock down two different camps by themselves. People could lock down harder camps by themselves pushing what would otherwise be their duo/trio partners into other camps to hold down themselves. Raid encounters would become even more trivial since raid leaders could bring along a rez cleric to every raid and idle it at character select in the event of a wipe or players bring an extra DPS class and AFK auto attack.

Live was able to disincentivize boxing by requiring players to buy a new copy of EQ + play a monthly fee. If players wanted to box, Verant/Sony got the benefit of it. Here there is no such disincentive besides taking 5 minutes to make a new EMU account and no benefit to P99. Live accounts became inaccessible when no one was paying the monthly fee. Here, accounts live on in perpetuity and get adopted by friends and guild members.
Lots of really good second-level analysis here.

I would pretty quickly leave if P99 allowed boxing. Anyone who mains a cleric can pretty easily see the writing on the wall if boxing is allowed. Cleric isn't a class that requires a lot of attention to play, and groups don't need you if someone is always just boxing their cleric for the group because it's trivial to box a cleric.

Many probably see this as a design flaw, but...aren't we here for the design flaws? =)
Old 09-27-2015, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

You can three box on p2002. The population online is currently 60 characters in game---so 20 real people. Some of which are probably also logged into p99.

If people left for p2002 they don't seem to be doing much playing there.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Aviak

I played on shards of dalaya a couple years ago. Everyone Boxed. It was retarded. End of story.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Banned

Hell no on boxing. I would like to see shared banking across all characters. Would save gms alot if time on scams and reimbursements.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:28 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtip [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hell no on boxing. I would like to see shared banking across all characters. Would save gms alot if time on scams and reimbursements.
You have more then 1 char you play on the same account? Huh? Shared banks are worthless
Old 09-27-2015, 11:48 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
More so than than the "irrational hatred" is the how do you police permitted boxing? A blanket ban on boxing and requiring IP exemptions for multi-player households is far less overhead than allowing 2 clients per person at a time whether on one computer or two computers.

When you get into allowing people 2 clients per person/computer/connection, then you start running into the issue of GMs having to police whether that is 4 people sitting at a camp, 2 people with 2 computers and 2 clients each, 1 person playing 4 characters across 2 boxes 2 connections.

With boxing, the server population would increase by at least 50% at any given time. EC would be loaded with 400+ people idling a trader character. People would just load up a port bot / heal bot instead of asking for other people's help. People would power level themselves, thereby monopolizing more content. People would be able to lock down two different camps by themselves. People could lock down harder camps by themselves pushing what would otherwise be their duo/trio partners into other camps to hold down themselves. Raid encounters would become even more trivial since raid leaders could bring along a rez cleric to every raid and idle it at character select in the event of a wipe or players bring an extra DPS class and AFK auto attack.

Live was able to disincentivize boxing by requiring players to buy a new copy of EQ + play a monthly fee. If players wanted to box, Verant/Sony got the benefit of it. Here there is no such disincentive besides taking 5 minutes to make a new EMU account and no benefit to P99. Live accounts became inaccessible when no one was paying the monthly fee. Here, accounts live on in perpetuity and get adopted by friends and guild members.
+1

This is why people like me get so incensed when someone suggests P99 allow boxing. Fuck that. I'm here specifically because boxing isn't allowed.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:59 PM
Fire Giant

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-28-2015, 01:17 PM
Orc

If you read on the Daybreak forum, the number one complaints for Ragefire and Lockjaw are about boxing. Although people still play there, hordes of boxing definitely makes it less enjoyable for the majority.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymack007 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played on shards of dalaya a couple years ago. Everyone Boxed. It was retarded. End of story.
^^^

Except I didn't think it was that retarded. I had fun, but it did kill certain aspects of this type of game.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^^^

Except I didn't think it was that retarded. I had fun, but it did kill certain aspects of this type of game.
It kills the social aspect. I feel the same way about fast travel, aka PoK.