Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 12-20-2022, 03:04 AM
Fire Giant

Default What chance does a non-competitive player have on this server?

Honest question that I've been asking for a year now.

I ask during yet another quake, and another rush by the guilds of this server to snipe the juiciest targets from each other using all the most elaborate and sometimes underhanded tactics they know. Why does it have to be like this though? What can a small guild or a new learning player do to try to raid knowing that a guild like Kingdom or Good Guys can just sweep on in, brush them aside, and take what they want?

Not just raids, either. Everything seems to be super competitive. Try to get a set of jboots as a 35 character when you're competing with 60 druids and such? Anything even the tiniest bit worthwhile seems to be contested.

It's just seriously depressing how cutthroat everything is. It honestly feels like you're going to get your head ripped off if you try to do anything more ambitious than a derv camp.
Last edited by tadkins; 12-20-2022 at 03:27 AM..
Old 12-20-2022, 08:07 AM
Fire Giant

Chance for what? I am a total non-competitive player and i am having a great time.
Of course i am not expecting to get killer gear anytime soon. JBoots nowadays are seen as a must have for those classes who can not cast SOW. They are not. Just buy a few potions for the time when you really need SOW and nobody is there to buff you.

There are a lot of other things similar to jboots. Of course all of them are heavily contested, that's the nature of this game. I chose to live with that fact by just not playing that particular sub game. I mean, it's a game, you are supposed to have fun and not rage about it. So i don't.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:16 AM
Kobold

Keep in mind this is coming from a retired player on blue, I don't know if things are different on green, but for my experiences the best way to get stuff you want with limited time is not to try and get the super competitive camps, it's to join the top end raiding guilds and attend raids that coincide with your schedule until you can afford expensive drop-able gear with your DKP, then you sell that gear and use the play for whatever you need.

This is honestly the lowest time commitment method, you could try grinding straight plat but that's much more boring. And you're probably going to be stuck with 1k an hour or less, having to do that for 100 hours to trade for anything. Decent is just depressing.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:55 AM
Banned

If you don't care about high end gear and you are patient enough to deal with psychopaths who won't ever move from their keyboard u can easily get lvl 60 with some decent gear including stuff like bloodforge or deepwater or donals and things like that.

You will spend more time and have to "buy" "with plat" to aquire basic items like jboots and evil eye bags because ppl are insane and you can't camp that stuff yourself unless you are also insane.

Of course most classes are perfectly fine without any such items and no gear. Necro, mage, shaman, druid, ranger, etc. Which will allow u to get money to buy those things for an alt with about a years worth of work. Not sitting at the keyboard every day for 3 months straight.

----

Normally I would just say make friends because (that is the point of the game) and they will shower you in pixels. Butt that isn't an option because no one will be your friend unless you are a psychopath willing to camp fungi tunics for 3 weeks straight without moving from the keyboard with them. And they also don't need you.

----

ALL this said if you have a truly casual mentality none of this matters and u will have tons of fun randomly sniping gnolls for teeth and rerolling alts around lvl 20-30 and doing tradeskills for stuff like banded. And u can get buy really well with a 500p weapon from EC on any class. And people stilll give those away [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And you can offer free counselling and spiritual guidance to any wayward travelers u meet which is far more fun than grinding.

Just go in with zero expectations.

Also red 99 is very anticompetative u can get 60 easy, often times no one is camping fungi lords and ppl will actually just randomly help u if you do not mind having to play an alt every once in a _blue_moon_ (very rarely) and deal with absolute lunatics who also never log off and have alts in every zone (during said blue moons).
Last edited by magnetaress; 12-20-2022 at 11:05 AM..
Old 12-20-2022, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

Just grind plat the way you sit fit and buy items / MQs / loot rights.

If you don't want to raid, don't. Your character will still be capable of doing everything in the game.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honest question that I've been asking for a year now.

I ask during yet another quake, and another rush by the guilds of this server to snipe the juiciest targets from each other using all the most elaborate and sometimes underhanded tactics they know. Why does it have to be like this though? What can a small guild or a new learning player do to try to raid knowing that a guild like Kingdom or Good Guys can just sweep on in, brush them aside, and take what they want?

Not just raids, either. Everything seems to be super competitive. Try to get a set of jboots as a 35 character when you're competing with 60 druids and such? Anything even the tiniest bit worthwhile seems to be contested.

It's just seriously depressing how cutthroat everything is. It honestly feels like you're going to get your head ripped off if you try to do anything more ambitious than a derv camp.
Don't compete poopsocking if you don't enjoy it and aren't good at it.

Need inspiration for unique greatness? Catch my signature below.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you don't want to raid, don't. Your character will still be capable of doing everything in the game.
Succinctly and accurately said, Toxigen. EQ's a loosely-tuned game. High-end items are not necessary. A player can do all group content wearing group gear and most of Velious was beat the day it opened on "Blue" by guilds wearing Kunark equipment. The folks who have a bad time here are the folks who want to do high-end content on a schedule and badly want to have top-end equipment whether they need it or not.

I feel like the OP has posted something to this effect before but I may be mis-rembering and confusing him for someone else. Certainly I've seen the sentiment before. EQ simply doesn't require top-tier or even second-tier equipment to experience the entire game.

(edit) I speak from direct personal experience. My own character is lower-midrange at most and I've done all the smallman/group content and most the raids. I've done more in the non-raid part of the game than even most of the folks with high-end stuff ever try to do. EQ's more about determination and desire to push the limit than about tiers of gear. The game's designed in such a way that a necessary baseline is always reasonably achievable.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 12-20-2022 at 12:05 PM..
Old 12-20-2022, 11:57 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Chance for what? I am a total non-competitive player and i am having a great time.
Same here, one of the nicest things about P99 is you can take a break and the content never moves on; your to-do list stays the same. JBoots MQ is something like 5k on Green, even I would say that's not unobtainable for anyone.
Old 12-20-2022, 12:24 PM
Banned

i lost the gnome race and am mad tier
(lol)
Old 12-20-2022, 01:04 PM
Planar Protector

I saw a dude wearing full golden efreeti, a wizard epic, and a dragon helm the other day.

Pretty sure dreams come true on this server.