Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

2. berserk? With a shaman healing you exclusively you had better hope you're not relying on running low HP. Not to mention Shaman heals are incredibly inefficient except for Torpor which negates your damage dealing ability anyways..
A strategy relying on berserk for an exp group is just dandy, however like the above poster and myself have identified it's just too dangerous a game to play with Shaman heals. That being said, like I identified in the above quote - Torpor may keep you in HP range to stay berserk, but the whole point of being berserk (damage) is immediately negated by Torpor's slow.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

SKs are probably the most versatile melee class in the game. FD (albeit with a cast time and not as fluid as a monk), Invis, IVU, harmshield at 51, self-heals via lifetap (which aren't crappy, you just have to have context), Ogre class choice means bash/slam availability, frontal stun immunity, amazing stats...

However, Fisch - the reason Azeth didn't waste any more time with you is because the Socratic method only works by forcing the other person to do all the real work. You just try to poke holes in someone else's ideas while repeatedly asking "why?"

If you want to really garner something useful, refine your questions after independently investigating what they say, and ask useful questions. Not just "why?" as your standard reply so frequently. Oh, also - insulting people - directly or indirectly - generally drives them away.

"Why?" is the question hundred-page theses and large-scale experiments try to answer. Asking everyone else to distill information for you is unreasonable. That's why the Socratic method is effective - people spend all their time explaining things to you while you repeat to yourself that "i'm not just a lemming, you have to justify your reasoning to me," instead of asking pointed, effective questions.

What you can get from this forum, however, is leads. You can then investigate those leads and ask better questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

Anyone else remember Sk/Sham pretty much being untouchable Velious era? We all know Monk/Sham take the cake during Kunark due to mitigation, and tbh I'm not sure what exactly changes, but I do remember Sk/Sham duoing pretty much anything but raid targets.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Fire Giant

In before this thread keeps going on for the rest of week while people complain about me, even though my questions have been answered and I'm already playing my SK [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Sarnak

could just be item progression started leaning towards melee in velius....
but i know for a fact kunark items are MUCH better for melee than in classic, so it will almost be there.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Kobold

Sk and Shammy are one of the biggest duo staples in EQ. The utility of an SK far outweighs the extra dps and slightly better mitigation of a warrior.

Gearing an SK should be less expensive then a warrior, because it holds agro via spells rather than weapons. In a group situation, a hybrid tank is generally always the preferred tank. They are more consistent and have little upkeep.

FD with be a godsend, and help for pulling things when root-parking isnt feasible. Go with an SK.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Sarnak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey neckbeards talking about your super logic "I must know the truth" crap.

Having played an SK to 60 in a past life I can answer a few of your questions and more:

1. The character will never be played solo.
Your choice of warrior or SK has no implications for this statement. Both classes do well in groups. SKs have better survival and utility (FD, IVU, Invis, Pet, Snare, Fear, Taps) as opposed to warriors which have....well...more hp/AC. SKs have it easy-mode to get aggro and keep it.

2. The vast majority of its playtime will be duo with a shaman.
As it has been highlighted, SK/Shaman are like a staple duo as their ability in large ways complement one another. The extra DPS from both of your pets is also a plus.

3. Once in a while the two of us might get into a full group.
You will be an excellent tank for this full group. Your shaman will also be welcomed for slows/heals/buffs.

4. I will almost certainly never raid with the character.
Good. If you were looking to MT raids then you should go warrior. SKs typically play a backup tank in raids (although there are exceptions).

5. I have a 50 necro to farm gear/plat for my warrior.
This makes me believe that you should definitely go SK. Many of the spells that SKs get you will be familiar with and know how to use effectively.

Lifetaps
It is true that before Kunark SKs have pretty shitty taps (the lvl 49 life leach is pretty good but it has a long reuse timer). However, in the 50's during Kunark, SKs get "Spirit Tap" at lvl 55 and "Drain Spirit" at lvl 57, which correspond to necromancer's lvl 29 and 39 lifetaps respectively. These are pretty nice taps at 150+ to over 200+ hp per cast. Combine these with shaman heals and you're ready to rock.

Deeps
SKs get some fairly nice dots (lvl 39-49 necromancer dots) towards lvl 60 that stack nicely with shaman dots. Although they are not overwhelming strong dots, combine them with your pet (which your max lvl pet is the lvl 44 necro pet), and your melee damage, and suddenly you're dishing out some respectable damage.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Sarnak

I've never seen anyone so proud of being dim as John Savage. JOHN SAVAGE!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_savage1982 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey neckbeards talking about your super logic "I must know the truth" crap.

Having played an SK to 60 in a past life I can answer a few of your questions and more:

1. The character will never be played solo.
Your choice of warrior or SK has no implications for this statement. Both classes do well in groups. SKs have better survival and utility (FD, IVU, Invis, Pet, Snare, Fear, Taps) as opposed to warriors which have....well...more hp/AC. SKs have it easy-mode to get aggro and keep it.

2. The vast majority of its playtime will be duo with a shaman.
As it has been highlighted, SK/Shaman are like a staple duo as their ability in large ways complement one another. The extra DPS from both of your pets is also a plus.

3. Once in a while the two of us might get into a full group.
You will be an excellent tank for this full group. Your shaman will also be welcomed for slows/heals/buffs.

4. I will almost certainly never raid with the character.
Good. If you were looking to MT raids then you should go warrior. SKs typically play a backup tank in raids (although there are exceptions).

5. I have a 50 necro to farm gear/plat for my warrior.
This makes me believe that you should definitely go SK. Many of the spells that SKs get you will be familiar with and know how to use effectively.

Lifetaps
It is true that before Kunark SKs have pretty shitty taps (the lvl 49 life leach is pretty good but it has a long reuse timer). However, in the 50's during Kunark, SKs get "Spirit Tap" at lvl 55 and "Drain Spirit" at lvl 57, which correspond to necromancer's lvl 29 and 39 lifetaps respectively. These are pretty nice taps at 150+ to over 200+ hp per cast. Combine these with shaman heals and you're ready to rock.

Deeps
SKs get some fairly nice dots (lvl 39-49 necromancer dots) towards lvl 60 that stack nicely with shaman dots. Although they are not overwhelming strong dots, combine them with your pet (which your max lvl pet is the lvl 44 necro pet), and your melee damage, and suddenly you're dishing out some respectable damage.
The truth says,

The Amish Mennonite in the photo needs to shave. For you are casting yourself out if you are under the age of 16. Playing Everquest is considered bad for you. Don't get casted out young neckbeard.

The Truth will set you free.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Sarnak

The Rock says know your damn role
Closed Thread