Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 06:42 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New Player, last played 2002

Hello all,

I'm a recovering EQ addict and I just discovered this site. I have many fond memories of playing EQ on my parent's Win98 Pentium II PC in the early days of broadband. I can't say I was a high end player by any means. I was never in a guild and never raided...as you can imagine, I never attained very high levels.

Eventually life got busy and EQ nearly made me flunk out of college. I can't remember how many times I attempted to quit...eventually I went to a zone with a deep pit (I don't recall the name...) and hurled myself in to ensure I couldn't get back to my corpse, then I cancelled my account. Do I dare go back now?

Based on the limited poking around I've done on the forums this may anger some people, which is not my intent. I would just like to know if there are any servers that have Luclin content -- the only reason I ask is because that was the last expansion released when I stopped playing.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:04 AM
Planar Protector

If you're at a point where you can enjoy the game casually, definitely give it a try. Maybe set a time limit or resolve to only play on the weekends etc.

In terms of Luclin content servers, this server will never have it - I'd recommend heading over to https://www.takproject.net (also on EQemulator) although other servers are available.

PS - the deep pit you flung yourself into was "The Hole" ^^
Old 10-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks very much for the reply, and you're right..it was The Hole...haven't thought about that in years. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-14-2018, 01:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by braedan51 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello all,

I'm a recovering EQ addict and I just discovered this site. I have many fond memories of playing EQ on my parent's Win98 Pentium II PC in the early days of broadband. I can't say I was a high end player by any means. I was never in a guild and never raided...as you can imagine, I never attained very high levels.

Eventually life got busy and EQ nearly made me flunk out of college. I can't remember how many times I attempted to quit...eventually I went to a zone with a deep pit (I don't recall the name...) and hurled myself in to ensure I couldn't get back to my corpse, then I cancelled my account. Do I dare go back now?

Based on the limited poking around I've done on the forums this may anger some people, which is not my intent. I would just like to know if there are any servers that have Luclin content -- the only reason I ask is because that was the last expansion released when I stopped playing.

Welcome! Once you win your first item roll again you'll be hooked all over again. Nothing like that first hit tho.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 10-14-2018, 02:22 PM
Fire Giant

You will love to come play brother, hope to see you ingame =)
Old 10-14-2018, 02:36 PM
Banned

This server is akin to an ex-heroin addict stumbling onto a warehouse full of heroin.

Take that as you will.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:27 PM
Fire Giant

As Swish mentioned, https://www.takproject.net/ is currently up to Luclin, but will go to PoP which IMO is the best "non"-classic expansion. I play there more than P99, simply b/c of my time constraints. You can multi-box on TAKP (up to 3 accounts), which makes EQ more approachable for those of us that may only have a few hours to play a week and need frequent AFKs (damn kids). TAKP's community is pretty awesome, but finding groups while leveling can be tedious. Grouping for AA grinds on the other hand is pretty common.

That being said, I prefer P99 when I have time to group b/c to me the best part about EQ was(is) grouping. As Swish also noted, P99 only goes up to the last patch of Velious (yet to be implemented). While there is tons of inflation on the server and nothing will ever deliver a true classic replication, P99 delivers the best experience IMO. The forums is not an accurate representative of the good community here, but it's not bad either.

Best of luck. Be sure not to throw away anything you care about IRL for an elf sim. If you do end up playing, I recommend trying both servers. I can't speak to other EMU's, I only tried one other (can't remember which) but it wasn't my cup of tea.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Planar Protector

The nostalgia effect was impressive for me on p99. I quit eq shortly after the launch of velious myself the first time and really enjoyed coming back to the game on p99. I also got to play with some items and do some things that were only legend to me back in my original days of EQ and that was pretty cool.

Obviously you need to find the balance for yourself between playing the game and everything else.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:13 PM
Sarnak

p2002 is the best experience if your looking for Luclin/PoP era stuff imo
Old 10-16-2018, 12:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
p2002 is the best experience if your looking for Luclin/PoP era stuff imo
TAKP has more stable staff and promoters.