Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 01:01 AM
Orc

Default New Druid, need advice

Hey everyone, I've been playing on p99 for a few weeks now and have finally reached level 16 on my Druid. I figured this would be a good time to give charm kiting a go. I'm having problems however, and I'm not sure if it's because I've never gotten a character this far before and I'm inexperienced, or if I'm doing something wrong. Any advice you all could provide would be great. (I have read all the guides I could find on the wiki, but I still can't seem to get it.)

I understand the way it's supposed to work, but either one of two things happen. Either the animal I charm destroys the mob I send it against without really taking any damage, or the charm breaks way too early and I end up with two blue/white mobs at half health chomping away at me. I've been trying different combinations of root/snare/ds/pet back off/etc, but I can't seem to get the process down to where I can use this as an effective leveling strategy. Maybe I should stick to grouping in Unrest/cb until I get my next charm?

Like I said, this is the first time I've made it past level 15 on p99 or back during kunark when I originally played. This is all new territory to me and any advice I could get would be great!
Old 03-11-2015, 01:47 AM
Sarnak

Your first charm spell is great. The 70 mana it costs is basically nothing in your mid 20s, and it charms up to lvl 24 mobs.

I had the same experience you did when I tried to solo charm on Hairyporter at 14. I gave it up and frankly hated the char. I've got a 39 druid on red now, though, and I approached things a bit differently. First of all, when possible I charmed in groups. Bam, no need to charm break. Keep in mind that your mana pool and regen increase pretty remarkably as you level; you get about 2 more mana per med tick every 5 levels. So the charming/snaring/fearing/rooting all becomes easier to sustain. At your level, put together an oasis crocs fear kiting group and go nuts.

Eventually my strategy became: charm mob a, send at mob b, root mob b. when one mob drops to ~10-15% hp (one small nuke), I pull pet back. I hide over and over til it works, then nuke them down. If my pet was the one at 10-15% and enemy is above 20%, I nuke it down to 10-15% before I start hiding, in case root breaks dont want it to pwn my pet. If my pet is too high for 2 cheap nukes, I root the next mob, send my pet against it until he's 10-15%, then pull it back and start hiding.

Obviously a lot easier with goblin gazughi ring. But I greatly prefer keeping my pet and grouping. I had a blast charming gorillas in a CT group; it's fun being one of the top dps and also being puller and healer.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:28 AM
Aviak

A few things that may help.

1) ALWAYS keep your "kill target" snared, or rooted. This will prevent being double teamed on charm breaks.

Having your "kill target" rooted/snared also allows you to use your pets "back off" command if your pets low and you won't get a chance to break it yourself (for the exp on your old charm pet) before your "kill target" eats your charmed pet.

Our fear animal line at that level is a 2 second cast, our charm animal is 4 seconds. Use that to your advantage on charm breaks.

Also important to note; most animals (charm targets) flee at low hp. (if you drop your charm at 15% hp, he will run away rather than coming for your booty)

2) always always always keep track up/eyes out for your next charm target.

This is generally what my charm solo's look like;
a) Charm tiger
b) Use charmed tiger to attack goblin
c) Snare goblin
d) Watch the fight!
e) When EITHER mob is low - drop charm.
f) Kill off the low HP target (regardless of it was your "kill target" or your old charm)

I always try and get the kill shots when i have nothing charmed, cause splitting exp with my NPC charm target isn't effective soloing.

Just make sure the pet is doing all the work, if you're Dotting your "kill target" when you have a pet on him (or nuking) you're wasting mana.
Only cast -Charm- -fear animal- -snare- -root- spells on mobs till they are ready to be killed with a nuke.

I hope this helps, if i skipped anything, or something was unclear let me know.
I'm still drinking my coffee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Sarnak

I really found charming, as a new druid myself, to be much more manageable in my mid 20s. Largely because the mobs had more HP, which gave me more wiggle room on effectively hiding to break the charm. At your level I had the same problem, one of the mobs would always die before I could manage to break the charm. The mana efficiency I see now when charming was much worse in my teens. I was also new to the class so it could have also just been my newbishness.

The point about ensnaring the mob prior to charm has saved me quite a few times. Fear and Grasping Roots along with sunbeam also saved my bacon a few times.

If I were you, I would go to the sisters camp in lfay til 19, then head to Unrest and try for main room groups. Once you get to your low 20s, charming elephants in SK becomes much more manageable and efficient.
60 Iksar Monk
20 Halfling Druid

=== OMNI ===
Last edited by GreldorEQ; 03-11-2015 at 10:08 AM..
Old 03-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Orc

Once again the community here on P99 has proven how nice and helpful it is. Thank you all for your advice! I think the reason I was struggling so much is because I was expecting both mobs to be low hp at the same time, and wasn't getting that result. Didn't think that even if one of the mobs comes at me with 50% hp, that's still 50% hp I don't have to nuke down. Didn't even think of using fear animal spell line to make the healthier mob run away while I take down the other.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-29-2015, 10:55 PM
Orc

I've actually managed to get a system down. I send my pet in to kill something at a similar level, use heals/dmg shield to keep health of the mob and the pet around the same amount, then hide/invis to break charm. As long as I have the mob rooted and its trying to flee, I can kill my pet first, then the mob. It looks like I get full exp for both.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:00 AM
Skeleton

Be careful when charming or attacking things that can poison/DoT the other mob. If you end up breaking them too low there is a chance this DoT can kill them and then you will get 0 experience.
Closed Thread