Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 02:44 PM
Kobold

Default Help: Magician Leveling Strat

Hello folks!
So i was reading the Pet Guide and i found out that if we don't deal 50%+ and our pet outdamage us we only receive 50% of the xp. What's your leveling strat in this case? Are you letting the pet outdamage you? Do you nuke enough to get full XP even though that means getting downtime?

Also, how can you deal with the pet level variance???? Today i had to cast 20 times in a row my pet until i got the appropiate one U_U.

BTW: WTB Mage Fire Pet lvl 24. PST in game as Isshadow or Fiznick or just leave post here.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

Some people have pet tank until 20%, reclaim the pet and nuke the mob for full exp. summon a new pet after. Repeat.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:31 PM
Sarnak

I like can't stress enough to try to find a duo partner , specifically a cleric or shaman. Use max level fire pet and with it getting healed and doing all the solo damage exp will be so good
Old 05-20-2016, 07:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like can't stress enough to try to find a duo partner , specifically a cleric or shaman. Use max level fire pet and with it getting healed and doing all the solo damage exp will be so good
Cookies is a seasoned and professional Magician. Take his advice.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:21 PM
Fire Giant

If I want to solo I use a focused fire pet. I do not do anything until the mob is fleeing (low HP), then I kill my pet and nuke it once for full XP.

Pro-tips:
  • Get a Burnt Wood Staff at level 46. It's a mana-free 333 dmg nuke.
  • If my pet is losing and about to die before the mob starts fleeing, then I just chain summon a new one.
  • Learn how to chain summon. You start casting your new pet while your current one is still alive, and right before casting is completed you mouse-click "Go away" on Pet Window.
  • I never heal my pet. It doesn't heal for much, and a full HP pet only costs 200 mana at lvl 49, and the mats are basically free.
  • It's not really worth reclaiming your pet unless it has a decent amount of HP left. You only get mana back in proportion to how much HPs your pet has remaining.
  • Mages are incredibly powerful soloers, but also very boring IMO. I found it's funner to duo or group.
Last edited by Sage Truthbearer; 05-20-2016 at 09:24 PM..
Old 05-21-2016, 02:08 AM
Sarnak

All classes are pretty boring solo besides I guess enchanter doing some crazy charm killing deep in a dungeon. It's always more fun to group or duo. What's nice about magician is you have the option. But yes I agree with above posters.. Chain pet post 39 is the way to go.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:00 AM
Kobold

Other mages must have much better luck than I do. If I summon the lowest possible fire pet at any given level, if the mob is worth any exp there's a strong possibility it will kill the pet before it makes any sense to summon another.

If you have jboots or sow I can see where that strat might be reliable...otherwise it's a pretty big risk when the pet is your only defense.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:51 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningbreath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Other mages must have much better luck than I do. If I summon the lowest possible fire pet at any given level, if the mob is worth any exp there's a strong possibility it will kill the pet before it makes any sense to summon another.

If you have jboots or sow I can see where that strat might be reliable...otherwise it's a pretty big risk when the pet is your only defense.
In a lot of zones you can out run the mobs by strafing without sow or jboots, bards swarm kite in many zones with dozens of mobs chasing them and don't use speed enhancing songs or spells
Old 05-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

Magician's can solo 100% naked to level 60. (not counting focus equipment ofc)

At level 24 is a perfect time to start chaining fire pets. You'll be in the 50's before you know it. Be sure to get that torch focus item which is good up to 49. Then at 50 switch to monster summoning 2 unless you have the 50's focus items.

1. Summon fire pet let it DS it self.
2. Attack monster(s)
3. Start summoning a new fire pet. When fire pet is ~35% life depending on how fast it's going down.
4. click Go Away on the pet window just before the new fire pet completes summoning.
5. Tell new pet to attack the monster(s) to get agro. Click Back & Follow to trick the fire pet into thinking it is idle so that it will DS it self. (remember to tell it to attack again)
6. Before the monster(s) are dead use reclaim on the fire pet. (safety tip: undead don't flee)
7. Finish the monster(s) off with a DD spell.

Seven steps to easily Plvl yourself into the 50s as a Mage.

NEVER HEAL YOUR PET AS A MAGE,. THE MANA EFFICIENCY OF THE HEAL IS TOTAL GARBAGE COMPARED TO SUMMONING A FRESH PET.
Learn how to efficiently manage targets and hold agro with your pet. It is key that you have a way to tell your pet to attack monsters especially when your chain summoning while fighting multiple targets.

Remember to carry multiple stacks of malachite. I carry 5-6 stacks(20) with me at all times on my mage. For me that's 100-120 pets I can summon.
If you do the fire pet chain summoning properly and go all at it. I recommend filling up 2, maybe 3, 8 slot medicine bags full of 20stack malachite and just going to town on mobs.
Malachite is very cheap, even for a new player.

Ask for Clarity,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzHaN80 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, how can you deal with the pet level variance???? Today i had to cast 20 times in a row my pet until i got the appropiate one U_U.
When chain summoning fire pets it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is if you have enough mana to chain summon the monster(s) down.
Later on,. You look at the top damage to determine the pets level. Carry lots of malachite or wing it with less then max level pets and Carry lots of malachite.

mid game advise: Later in your career as a magician it is wise to buy a 10 dose SoW pot. You're the one in control of your fights so if you know you don't have the mana to finish the monster(s) you can take a swing for SoW then beeline for a zoneline while your last pet is still fighting the monster(s).
Don't let people convince you that Jboots or travelers boots are cool or useful. SoW past ~30ish is faster then them and is still cheaper in the long run.
Let's say you took the 5k-6k you were going to spend on Jboots and spent that on SoW Pots. 5k plat is 12.5 Days worth of SoW, 6k plat is 15 Days worth of SoW, Which keep in mind at higher levels is FASTER then Jboots or Travelers boots. (these prices are based on 10 dose pots being 100pp, You can get them cheaper)
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 05-22-2016 at 12:35 PM..
Old 05-23-2016, 12:08 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningbreath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you using a focused fire pet? Torch of Alna adds a couple 100 HPs or so to it. Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Truthbearer
  • If my pet is losing and about to die before the mob starts fleeing, then I just chain summon a new one.
  • Learn how to chain summon. You start casting your new pet while your current one is still alive, and right before casting is completed you mouse-click "Go away" on Pet Window.
Closed Thread