Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 05:44 PM
Fire Giant

Listen, they cant reinvent this game. You are chaining the mechanics of the game play entirely. That isnt as easy as just patching in some list system script.

You are touching on the basics of loot mechanics in a game. You will need to design and develop your own MMO if you want to see that.

oh and not classic.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:51 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds like something someone who would enjoy WoW would ask for. And I don't try and say that offensively.

This is EQ. One of the reasons people are here is because they don't like the whole modern equal opportunity everyone gets everything type of MMO.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:54 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Listen, they cant reinvent this game. You are chaining the mechanics of the game play entirely. That isnt as easy as just patching in some list system script.
As a software engineer by profession, I think you are oversimplifying the effort likely required to "patch in some list system script." Consider each of the parts and I think you will begin to better understand.

To this end, p99 has been around 10+ years now. The amount of time invested addressing the number of complaints, relations issues, implementation of a non-classic /list system, etc., is likely far greater than what would be required to revise the loot system.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleztheAndal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You obviously put a lot of time into this, but this just isn’t going to happen. This is wildly off the classic track.
Yeah. They are leaving in things nobody really likes such as the hybrid xp penalty.

They aren't going to make such a massive change to how looting is done.

Getting a rare, high demand item like manastone is going to take a lot of time. That's all there is to it. All these changes to list people are suggesting just make me more convinced of that. None of them change the mathematical reality that if you have so many people willing to queue up and wait hours upon hours for a chance to loot one and an item that drops maybe once every ten hours or so, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A LONG WAIT.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like something someone who would enjoy WoW would ask for. And I don't try and say that offensively.

This is EQ. One of the reasons people are here is because they don't like the whole modern equal opportunity everyone gets everything type of MMO.
No offense taken. Full disclosure, I played WOW from 2005 through the first few expansions and then more recently because my wife still plays it. However, my first MMORPG experience was with EQ for many years. I understand it well. If my proposal is seriously considered, it would be apparent that I'm not proposing everyone suddenly has an "easy" mechanism by which to get loot. This is where the simple math around drop chance/probability values comes into play.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:58 PM
Planar Protector

stupid idea.

not any less classic than list system tho.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:58 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob54311 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah. They are leaving in things nobody really likes such as the hybrid xp penalty.

They aren't going to make such a massive change to how looting is done.

Getting a rare, high demand item like manastone is going to take a lot of time. That's all there is to it. All these changes to list people are suggesting just make me more convinced of that. None of them change the mathematical reality that if you have so many people willing to queue up and wait hours upon hours for a chance to loot one and an item that drops maybe once every ten hours or so, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A LONG WAIT.
Read my post. As I said, my system uses a chance-based system. The chance of getting an item can still be rare without requiring a player to be on a list for tens of hours straight for even a remote chance at an item due to current /list system behavior. These /list camps, however, are only one, small example.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenja [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a software engineer by profession, I think you are oversimplifying the effort likely required to "patch in some list system script." Consider each of the parts and I think you will begin to better understand.

To this end, p99 has been around 10+ years now. The amount of time invested addressing the number of complaints, relations issues, implementation of a non-classic /list system, etc., is likely far greater than what would be required to revise the loot system.
The list system is far greater time investment to program than what would be required to radically revamp how looting works?

I find that a bit hard to believe.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:03 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob54311 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The list system is far greater time investment to program than what would be required to radically revamp how looting works?

I find that a bit hard to believe.
That is not what I said. Reread my response. I refer to the cumulative time investment of many things, not just the /list system.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:06 PM
Sarnak

Not a horrible idea.. but the fact you posted it here means you don't know your audience. These are the same poop socks who voted no for server split and posted over and over about how it failed and was the worst thing to ever happen. Man I remember when people asked for guild instance raiding. Was the end of the world even thought people still had to earn their loot.
Closed Thread