Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 11:40 PM
Sarnak

Default At any point will we be able to host P99 servers

Like the title says. We run a gaming group where we run 9x9 Atlas, Ark, Dayz, Rust, Conan and a few other custom game servers. We would love to host a p99 server on our hardware!
Old 10-21-2019, 11:43 PM
Planar Protector

No, you can host a custom EQ emu server though
Old 10-21-2019, 11:45 PM
Sarnak

You're out of luck. Source code is not something they are willing to share, per similar posts.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:48 PM
Planar Protector

If you want to enjoy a P99 server with relatively little interruption/camps taken/etc... why not roll your characters on red?
Old 10-21-2019, 11:53 PM
Fire Giant

greedy little hobbitses or hoarding big dragons like smaug?
Old 10-22-2019, 07:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyborg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're out of luck. Source code is not something they are willing to share, per similar posts.
i thought they said they were considering releasing it someday post-completion? or did they change their mind?
Old 10-22-2019, 07:33 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmakos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i thought they said they were considering releasing it someday post-completion? or did they change their mind?
I imagine that day would only come if p99 servers go offline, if ever. This is obviously conjecture on my part.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:33 PM
Planar Protector

I'm pretty sure them never releasing their source code would be a part of their agreement with Daybreak.
Last edited by Argh; 10-22-2019 at 07:37 PM..
Old 10-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Planar Protector

Someday this place will close, and if it's going to anyway, it would seem incredibly petty for R&N to be like "we're burning everything: no classic EQ for anyone, ever again!" I strongly suspect/hope that that day is still years, if not decades away, but it has to come sometime.

Unless medical technology surprises all of us, one of the two of them has to die, and when they do I'd like to think that whichever one is left would open source everything, including the database, so that our children's children can still play it on their phone-sheet-displays (or whatever super tiny computing device, with 1,000,000x the power of an 1999 EQ server, we all have in the future [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

Until then though, them sharing the code would be a disservice to all players. What little mystery is left to this game is in that code/DB, and if they "revealed the secret sauce" I think the game would feel a bit less magical as a result.

P.S. Personally, my "super long term plan" for P99 would be to talk the Internet Archive people into running it. Not just because their Wayback Machine let us find all the classic research, but because they have an online computer gaming division devoted to making old games available online.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-22-2019 at 08:36 PM..
Old 10-22-2019, 08:43 PM
Planar Protector

Rogean and Nilbog aren't allowed to distribute the code as per their contract with daybreak. Legally they are the only owners.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Closed Thread