Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 08:10 AM
Planar Protector

Once upon a time I took a typing class in high school (before internet or ubiquitous PC's, I'm old) and faked my way through it hunting and pecking. Later as an adult I got a job which required more and more typing/computer data entry and became embarrassed of my two-to-four finger typing.

So I started using an online touch typing tutor and forcing myself to touch type at work. It was SLOW going at first compared to my old habits. But in the long run I learned to do actual ten finger homekey touch typing. I'm still not a great typist by any stretch, but I highly recommend just sucking it up and making the change. The entire keyboard was designed to be used this way, there's no sense in refusing to learn how it works.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Once upon a time I took a typing class in high school (before internet or ubiquitous PC's, I'm old) and faked my way through it hunting and pecking. Later as an adult I got a job which required more and more typing/computer data entry and became embarrassed of my two-to-four finger typing.

So I started using an online touch typing tutor and forcing myself to touch type at work. It was SLOW going at first compared to my old habits. But in the long run I learned to do actual ten finger homekey touch typing. I'm still not a great typist by any stretch, but I highly recommend just sucking it up and making the change. The entire keyboard was designed to be used this way, there's no sense in refusing to learn how it works.
I personally believe some people lack whatever module it is in their brains that allow them to type.

I know several who are genius savants in some way but cannot type because they just can't its like physically impossible. I hate all of them because they all have really annoying personalities, but that not with standing they have some other incredible talents and shouldn't hate on themselves. Like they typically do.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:11 AM
Planar Protector

I was taught how to type 60WPM by a guy who would yell out "Type gooder!". When I joined the Army I was like I want a job with Intelligence and I want to work on Computers. So they were like super, looks like you're good with the security clearance now here is an 8-week typing class. Now I not only type like a motherfucker but I compose the proper headers to allow command to authenticate me.

Edit: oh yeah, so join the army if you want to type or shoot typists take your pick.

Edit2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I personally believe some people lack whatever module it is in their brains that allow them to type.
Yup, same with map reading. No matter how loud or how often the guy would yell, some people flunked right the fuck out cause their brain-to-finger circuits were just wrong. Or they could not imagine rotating a flat piece of paper into a fully loaded zone in their head. Just brains like that.
Last edited by BlackBellamy; 04-17-2020 at 09:15 AM..
Old 04-17-2020, 10:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was taught how to type 60WPM by a guy who would yell out "Type gooder!". When I joined the Army I was like I want a job with Intelligence and I want to work on Computers. So they were like super, looks like you're good with the security clearance now here is an 8-week typing class. Now I not only type like a motherfucker but I compose the proper headers to allow command to authenticate me.

Edit: oh yeah, so join the army if you want to type or shoot typists take your pick.

Edit2:

Yup, same with map reading. No matter how loud or how often the guy would yell, some people flunked right the fuck out cause their brain-to-finger circuits were just wrong. Or they could not imagine rotating a flat piece of paper into a fully loaded zone in their head. Just brains like that.
edit 1: can do both
edit 2: i wanted to say lol hi chelsae but im' afraid i'll be banned, i just did [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

pras for ur service m8 the army fucking sux lol
Old 04-17-2020, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Edit2:

haha wow that's really funny. I have a strong general intelligence so I can't relate to this stuff, including joining the army [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-17-2020, 11:22 AM
Banned

150wpm until god nerfed my hands for sinning w/ them. Now I dictate and sometimes type extra letters with my nose.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

I learned how to type fast moderating justin tv back in 2008 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:02 AM
Planar Protector

I learned to get ONE line out extremely quickly. Its an important skill you need for when you get knocked unconscious on rallos zek server and need to throw one line out before you die. Usually it contains the word fuck.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

http://www.realmsofdespair.com/

Learned to type playing this 26 year old text MUD.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:35 PM
Planar Protector

Everquest taught me how to type. Playing it when I was 13 or so and trying to communicate with everyone. I only use 8 fingers total, but I can type 60-65wpm.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Closed Thread