Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Fire Giant

Default Stormfeather camp rules (proposal)

It should be well known by now that Sirken has declared the Stormfeather mob in Iceclad Ocean to be a camp as opposed to an FTE race. The dev team has supported this "change" by removing Stormfeather's FTE shout.

For this particular camp - I would suggest that the rights to engage the mob falls to the person who has been in the vicinity of the spawn the longest. If that person fails to engage Stormfeather within a reasonable time (or dies, heh), then the rights fall to the person who has been there next longest, and so on. As with any camp, going AFK for any length of time is perfectly acceptable as long as you are there to (quickly) engage the spawn. Seems elementary, no?

If we all accept this premise, then a "camp list" becomes the logical course of action so that we, as players, can keep track of camper seniority. I understand that GMs can check server side logs to figure out who's been in the zone the longest... But, as always, we should be doing our best to limit GM involvement in our arbitrations.

In order to keep this running as smoothly as possible, I think we should try to answer questions including, but not limited to, the following:
(Sirken and/or other CSR staff members' input is more than welcome)
  1. Should there be a maximum number of players on the list?
  2. Does your character's presence in the vicinity of Stormfeather's spawn point need to uninterrupted in order to stay on the list?
  3. If someone loses their connection to the server, how long do they have to return without "losing their place"?

In the interest of keeping things simple, I would propose the following: Anyone can come by at any time and ask to be added to the list (There's a good chance the campers will be AFK if you've come well outside of the next spawn window, so be patient, send tells to everyone, and hang around until you get a positive response). No limit to # of people on the list (this should manage itself). Each time Stormfeather spawns, whomever currently has the right to engage does so within 30 seconds. If that person does not engage, then the next person has 10 seconds, and so on. Other people who were present at the time of the spawn move up the list, and everyone that is on the list but not present drops off entirely. If you're present but AFK, you can move up the list as long as you did not miss your chance to engage (even if you were not currently #1 on the list)

Put simply: Be there when the mob spawns, or you're not really camping it. If you're unresponsive when your turn comes up, too bad - you lose. Spawn time is the magic moment - if we try to police maximum radius from the spawn point or keep track of how long since someone went LD or logged to do a xfer, it's become unmanageable. Everyone at the camp should make an effort to keep a copy of the list with pen and paper, /note, or /say - and keep logs for your own protection.

Thoughts? (except for bktroost, whose opinion on the Stormfeather camp is already well-documented [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] )
Old 10-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Banned

i suggest putting a priest of discord right next to stormfeather's spawn

only players who have turned in a tome of order and discord may engage stormfeather
Old 10-07-2015, 05:54 PM
Sarnak

1: no.
2: yes.
3: list "refreshes" every time a pop-window passes. If you're not there, you lose your place.

For those of you who were here at the time, This is how Chancellor of Dizok worked in the months right after Kunark.

Anyone could ask to be added to the list. In order to stay on the list, you had to have your char logged in and there at the spawn but you could be afk. Whenever Dizok spawned, everyone had to check in within a reasonable amount of time (reasonable meant within 30 minutes of spawn). If you weren't there within that time period, then you were taken out of the list. Whoever was going to be killing the next Dizok was in charge of managing the list.

I like this system for several reasons, but the biggest reason is it removes all of the uncertainty. You know when you're gonna get your prod.
Last edited by maestrom; 10-07-2015 at 06:14 PM..
Old 10-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

you want a camp list for a mob that could take up to nearly 3 days to spawn?
Old 10-07-2015, 06:06 PM
Planar Protector

can someone just text me when my SF slot is up?

would make things easier for me - thanks
Old 10-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Fire Giant

So I've got one serious response that thinks you have to be logged in on-site AND be at the keys when the mob spawns to remain on the list.

I've no problem with this - it will keep the list shorter for sure. OK to go LD here and there as long as you are not missed, I guess (subject to the list keeper's own AFKs and hardassery). Being a much longer spawn than Chancellor, random LDs are bound to happen over a multiple day period. I think it'd be unfair to punish someone that severely for a classic issue ... bad ISP's are punishment enough in and of themselves.
Last edited by Droog007; 10-07-2015 at 06:56 PM..
Old 10-07-2015, 07:04 PM
Planar Protector

If you want the mob, camp it. get in line. wait your turn.

its not for everyone. classic.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Tetley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't WANT a camp list. Honestly I think I might be happier with an FTE contest... but it's been ruled otherwise, and so we all must abide. The alternative is a petitionquest every time people can't agree who's up next.

I'm camping it right now ... I've been at the camp since Monday evening. In the interest of leaving things better than I found them, I thought it'd be nice to have a semi-official discussion and some point of reference that will hopefully help keep cheeks drier and GMs tending to other matters.
Last edited by Droog007; 10-07-2015 at 07:27 PM..
Old 10-08-2015, 09:41 AM
Kobold

uhhhh.... i dont understand why you think this is such a big issue. weve had camps for years. its the same rules as always. this isnt rocket science....
Old 10-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Tetley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But yeah my opinion is well documented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kined [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
uhhhh.... i don't understand why you think this is such a big issue. we've had camps for years. its the same rules as always. this isn't rocket science....
You've lost your mind. An infinite list for a mob that every melee in the game wants and can take over a week of sitting there to "hold you spot on a list" seems like good clean fun? No this isn't classic. There was never 100 people sitting in Icelcad for weeks on end hoping to maintain their place on a fictitious list that is sure to be corrupted.

IF there is a list then for the benefit of all your wives, please let it only be 3 deep or something minimal. To avoid list manipulation, they have to be there. If we had more than three people taking off work for two weeks or more sitting in Iceclad then all the IT departments in the world would suddenly crumble. You know you nerds all work in IT. If an infinite list gets created I will plan my major company network hack scheme to line up with that timeline, so just keep me informed.

You want to sit for 19 hours at a time watching two other people maybe get this bird? Go for it, but that's the only way you make sure lists aren't toxic or manipulated.
Last edited by bktroost; 10-08-2015 at 10:25 AM..
Closed Thread