Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 01:02 AM
Kobold

Default How To: Streaming 101: Choosing your Broadcaster

If you are interesting in seeing more in-depth guides on how to set up and host streams please reply to this thread and I will certainly make it happen!

Who: I am Trendy. I have been streaming MMO's for over 3 years from smaller games such as The Witcher and Project 1999 to larger games like World of Warcraft, Aion (in its prime) and Star Wars Galaxies.

What: In this guide I will explain the differences and how to choose the right broadcaster for you. If this is something the community would like I can show easy set-up's for both broadcasters I describe below.

Where: Right fucking here, man...

When: After the conclusion of this thread I will follow it closely to see if it takes off. I will be answering questions either via PM or replies to this post.

Why: Streaming is such an amazing and exciting experience. I enjoy it most because you meet and interact with people you may never actually talk to in game. I've chatted and had regular visits and conversations with players spanning every aspect of the game. From people I've introduced to P99 (which is an amazing experience in itself) to end game elitist raiders in TMO and IB. Along with frequent visits from current and past GM's. <3

Below is a list of my computer spec's and internet upload/download speed. Both of which are important in order to host a successful stream.

Keep in mind. With my computer and internet I can host a 1080p resolution stream with music/youtube videos, webcam, and skype voice chat with no bandwidth interference. Additional computer usage like music, skype and even (yes) webcam may reduce quality and connectivity to your viewers.

My Computer Specs:
  • Processor: AMD FX-8300 Eight-Core Processor 3.30 GHz
  • Installed Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
  • System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
  • AMD Radeon 2GB HD 7700 Series

You can find your computer specs by going to Control Panel > System and Security > System > and View basic Information about your Computer. (This may be important if you ask me later if you think your PC can handle streaming)

Internet Connection:
  • Download Speed: 59.60 MB/second
  • Upload Speed: 6.19 MB/second

I tested my speed using the Comcast Speed Tester located here: http://speedtest.comcast.net I am not sure if this is available to non-Comcast subscribers. (If this is the case I will find a neutral internet speed test that anyone can use)

These are the most important aspects of hosting a good stream. You must have a good computer to support the stream program and it capturing the game and your internet must be strong enough to support uploading the stream to the internet at real time.

90% of people can host a good stream with the computer they have. The issue is 1 of 2 things. Either A: They have low quality internet. Or B: They are running their stream at the wrong settings or too high of a resolution for their internet to keep up with (see A)

Below I will go over the two most commonly used streaming broadcasters and their pros and cons. YOU BE THE JUDGE!

Choosing your Broadcaster:

Xsplit Broadcaster
I use Xsplit Broadcaster. You can find the download link here: https://www.xsplit.com/download clicking on the BROADCAST button on the left. NOT Gamecast.

PRO:
  • Stream up to 1080p HD resolution (with subscription)
  • Fewer advertisements
  • Higher stream quality in same resolution
  • Very simple user interface and simple instructions. 1.2.3 up and running.
  • Tons of customization options (even more with paid subscription)

CON:
  • Highest quality comes at a price. (and that's $5/month)
  • More computer heavy. (takes a stronger PC to run at higher resolution)

With the free version you can stream at 720p HD quality or lower. with the paid version ($15 / 3 months) you can stream up to 1080p HD. which, lets be honest. is like watching TV. It's clear as shit. But if your computer and/or internet cannot handle streaming 1080p you are wasting your money and your stream will look like shit, or be constantly buffering for viewers.

OBS (Open Broadcasting System)

Website and choosing your OS here: https://obsproject.com/

PRO:
  • Free!
  • Support forums for questions
  • Less computer intensive (opens to a broader audience of potential streamers)

CON:
  • More complex set-up
  • Very basic stream set-up. not many customizable options.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:31 AM
Sarnak

Nice thread, thanks for posting. Would like to see you go more in depth. I stream @ http://www.twitch.tv/ariakas89 , but only have 11 followers. So always looking for help to get going.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:49 AM
Planar Protector

At 0.99MB upload is there any hope? Any hope at all? I've managed to get a super pixelated picture of Hearthstone up in the past but it wasn't what I'd call viewable.

Anything a guy can do at that speed? Smaller resolution or something?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:36 AM
Planar Protector

Interesting. Good thread, very informative thank you Trendies. I do not stream, not have I watched someone else stream, though all the talk of it has piqued my interest ^^ Time to investigate!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Planar Protector

are you rich from streaming?
Old 03-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via ICQ to Uuruk Send a message via AIM to Uuruk Send a message via MSN to Uuruk Send a message via Yahoo to Uuruk

Please don't tell me this child neglector is streaming again.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:13 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uuruk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please don't tell me this child neglector is streaming again.
Judging by your avatar, you're a quality influence on the community. Yes, I stream on the weekends at night
Old 03-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Kobold

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
At 0.99MB upload is there any hope? Any hope at all? I've managed to get a super pixelated picture of Hearthstone up in the past but it wasn't what I'd call viewable.

Anything a guy can do at that speed? Smaller resolution or something?
Few questions: do you share bandwidth with anyone else? Are you trying to run different things in the background like I was talking about in my post?

.99mb upload is kind of low. It is possible to stream at a low resolution though if you wanted to
Old 03-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via ICQ to Uuruk Send a message via AIM to Uuruk Send a message via MSN to Uuruk Send a message via Yahoo to Uuruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyDru [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Judging by your avatar, you're a quality influence on the community. Yes, I stream on the weekends at night
No I was referring to the mutiple times you have been streaming and your kids are in the background wanting attention.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:38 PM
Banned

WB trendydru!
Closed Thread