Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Sarnak

Default Gear question

So I asked this in server but all I got was, "You're not doing it correctly." So I thought I'd ask here.

Quote:
In my sig is my gear. My stats with the gear on are as follows with Bramblecoat:

HP: 728
Mana: 1370
AC: 513

STR: 75
STA: 88
AGI: 107
DEX: 83
WIS: 181
INT: 81
CHA: 70

Resists:
Poison: 20
Magic: 25
Disease: 10
Fire: 25
Cold: 25

What I'm having a hard with is charm killing. I seem to run out of mana way too quickly.

I have about 5k, and various items that I am trying to sell. Can anyone suggest any quests, drops, or items for sale that I should go for to make life a bit more easier?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Planar Protector

How exactly are you charm killing? My experience has been that it barely takes any mana at all, i.e. you can do it naked. Granted this was at lower levels, but I can't imagine it changes that much at higher levels.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Planar Protector

Where did my reply go? If you are running out of mana with 181 WIS, then you are charming too-high cons. Charm mobs that are barely dark blue or are light blues and then have them beat on a second mob. This should take VERY LITTLE mana. This should become even easier with levels.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Charm mobs that are barely dark blue or are light blues
This is always optimal. Magic resist of the mob is secondary to level, and charisma (at least for enchanters) a distant third. If you are charming something higher get a partner because gear won't help you.

Also some people turn sigs off. Don't put relevant information there... that space is apparently for garbage Game of Thrones gifs.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

Charisma has minimal effect on charming for Druids and Necros.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
  • Kanras-Src-Druid charm CHA equivalence identical to necromancers
Old 03-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Sarnak

Well I'm in OT by FM ledge charming there. What it is, is not so much I can't charm them, I'm just finding myself after 2 mobs I'm out of mana.

Ishio

Here's what I do. I ensnare two mobs, get them close, charm the animal, sic him on the other snared pet, let them fight to 20%, or one to 20%, cameo, nuke. I recharm if my pet is still okay, ensnare another and repeat. On the second repeat, though I am medding while the pets are fighting, I'm out of mana by the third ensnare cast.

I have about 1.3k mana and I'm just drained. So by the time I need to kill pet and second mob grabbed, I'm kiting them while I'm waiting for my dot to kill them. Yes, I know that dots don't do full damage when mobs are moving, but I get them to 10% and they've regened enough health to move again while I med to try and kill them.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well I'm in OT by FM ledge charming there. What it is, is not so much I can't charm them, I'm just finding myself after 2 mobs I'm out of mana.

Ishio

Here's what I do. I ensnare two mobs, get them close, charm the animal, sic him on the other snared pet, let them fight to 20%, or one to 20%, cameo, nuke. I recharm if my pet is still okay, ensnare another and repeat. On the second repeat, though I am medding while the pets are fighting, I'm out of mana by the third ensnare cast.

I have about 1.3k mana and I'm just drained. So by the time I need to kill pet and second mob grabbed, I'm kiting them while I'm waiting for my dot to kill them. Yes, I know that dots don't do full damage when mobs are moving, but I get them to 10% and they've regened enough health to move again while I med to try and kill them.
Sounds like you are using your most current charm. Try the lowest level charm that works. Lower mana cost. Probably don't need ensnare either (snare should last the charm fight).
Old 03-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow_ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like you are using your most current charm. Try the lowest level charm that works. Lower mana cost. Probably don't need ensnare either (snare should last the charm fight).
Don't use Beguile Animals? Use Charm Animals? And not ensnare? I thought that was a good choice due to it being a 4min timer.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Planar Protector

Another tip would be to have the mobs get lower HP. You should have the HP get as low as you can get it before breaking charm and nuking, so that you can use a lower-level nuke to finish off the mobs.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
let them fight to 20%, or one to 20%
I think I talked to you in game since you wrote this, but we didn't discuss this.

I have less wisdom... (don't inspect me - It's not about the gear!)

20% is way too much. You should get at least one of them down to the point where they are "running", but try for 5%. I use combust (110 mana for 182 damage) to finish it off.

Occasionally, I lose one of them in the process. If root breaks on my non-pet and he kills my pet while I'm backing off, I lose full exp for one mob. If my pet disobeys when I pull him back and kills the non-pet I do get exp, just not as much. It takes practice, but I prefer to lose one rather than release charm too soon.

I think I told you, I use Beguile Animals and Ensnare. I've had too many resists to try anything lower. I'm glad it works for others, but I play it safe. I'm always in wolf form with Skin and Bramblecoat buffed.

My charm spell line up:

Greater Healing
Invis VS Animals
Ensare
Beguile Animals
Drones of Doom
Combust
Shield of Brambles
Ensnaring Roots

I only charm rhinos now. I've used the tigers, but they are too unpredictable and can be VERY mean.

I don't snare my pet on first charm. I grab the closest rhino, bring him to the wall and "guard" him. If my pet breaks, I snare, then charm again.

I pull a target. Depending on how far I have to go to get it, determines if I snare on pull. If he's too far away, I combust pull. Pulling a snared mob from the middle of the zone to the wall has caused problems with adds. I root the pulled mob in front of my pet. (I keep root on the pulled mob at all times)

I attack with my pet, gauging health drops. (my healer skills are helpful in this portion)

If my pet is taking a beating early on, I bramble him. If that doesn't help balance, I may nuke or dot the pulled mob.

If my pet is clearly stronger, I'll use him for a second pull.

I had the most awesome pull yesterday. I charmed a blue rhino. The size does matter, but unless they are standing next to each other, it's hard to tell just how dark blue this rhino was. I got a big one, but he behaved nicely. I damaged a cactus to less than 5% ("running" but really just standing still), pulled my pet off. My pet was still at 75% health. Ensnared a sarnak and damaged him to to less than 5% (running but really just standing still), pulled my pet off. Pet was still at 45% health. Pulled a third mob and then damaged to less than 5%, at which point my pet was less than 5%. Invis vs animals. Melee'd them all dead - four kills exp in a very short time. It truly was magic. This does not happen every time, but I do aim for this!

Disclosure: This is my first attempt at charming, I don't claim to have it completely figured out, but this is working for me. I'm not dying, and I'm gaining levels.

Greycee - I think i'm level 38
Closed Thread