Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 09:42 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New Ranger Looking for Advice

Hello everyone just started playing on the blue ever loving it so far by the way but i was looking for some guidance i was wondering what are some things that i can look for to try and make some money so i can get started im a level 5 ranger so that i can afford my spells and maybe a starter weapon and such and i was wanting to ask when im in a group should i be meleing or using by bow attacks looked through some guides and never saw a clear cut answer thanks for any info everyone looking forward to hearing from ya my rangers name on is Montillo
Old 12-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Kobold

Melee. As far as making money at your level. Save every single bone chip and spider/spiderling silk. They sell well to players.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:04 PM
Planar Protector

If I was starting fresh I’d see if someone would cut you a deal on a silver swiftblade (https://wiki.project1999.com/Silver_Swiftblade ). Frankly for the money that thing is ace to level 30. Can prob get a cheapish Velium 2hs (like Crafted Velium Claidhmore 30/36) for around $1-1.5k.

A nice 2h will keep you functional until low/mid 50’s. At that point when your DW skill starts working dual-wield or ideally epics will be the final path.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:52 PM
Sarnak

Even with a best in slot bow, archery dps is about half that of melee dps at lvl 60. It's best to stick with melee in a group.

Some of the decent early level weapon options are 2handers like the silver swiftblade, as mentioned earlier, and woodsman's staff. However dual wielding equal quality 1handers will start to do better dps around lvl 40.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:40 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Thanks

Thanks again or all the advice and tips and ill hit yo up alleriah i was also wanting to ask when soloing in outdoor zones when i get my spells and i spost to mele then to or use range i would assume range sorry for the stupid question thanks again everyone for all your input also would you all recommend grouping early on or trying to solo or do a healthy mix up thanks again everyone montillo
Old 12-31-2018, 09:22 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleriah [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Archery dps is half that of melee dps at 60? Thats news to me.
a lvl 5 ranger can't trueshot.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:04 AM
Planar Protector

Counterpoint: archery is not subject to by level damage caps.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nor will they get the double damage bonus for stationary, non-rooted mobs.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 12-31-2018, 01:53 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What does that have to do with this, the post being replied to?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Your rhetoric is weak yo. Better to use something like "Groups lasts longer than two minutes"
Last edited by Zabbix; 12-31-2018 at 01:55 PM..
Old 01-01-2019, 02:13 AM
Planar Protector

Oakwynd would be the undeniable exception, the one ranged weapon to shoot down the debate above, not that the bow will likely ever find its way into anyone's range slot on p99. That said, early on bows can be decent, mostly risk-free damage. With a Runed Oak Bow and cheap vendor arrows you can strafe around NK and shoot willowisps, farming greater lightstones for plat. But there are quite a few ranger-only weapons that don't cost much and will be more reliable damage which is expected in group settings.

In these discussions it's worth considering the last few patches up ahead, specifically the patch that gives hybrids a much-needed boost. With their defenses adjusted, rangers should be a bit more well-rounded as group tanks and their damage output should be better with the two-hand damage increase, but to what extent? Having an aversion to math, I can only speculate. But if at that point snap aggro tanking becomes the main reason rangers are sought after, than the traditional knight setup could be a viable alternative to dps. Stacking hp/ac and possibly even equipping a shield in off-hand + stat item in ranged slot, so the real dps classes can rush the mob as soon as it's in camp.

But given that rangers have very few quality shields to choose from and plenty of two-handers thanks to Kunark/Velious, it seems reasonable to assume that most will choose to wield the latter, possibly neglecting dual wield outside of high ac raid targets.

Right now rangers still feel ambiguous. A filler class lacking any definitive role except in outdoor dungeons. So the entire time you're grouped with minmaxers, it's like interviewing for your own job but with dps reports instead of tps reports.

Yet, with the right gear, rangers can adjust to most situations well enough and even excel in unconventional groups when fulfilling more than one role is a must. The more multitasking involved, the more useful the class proves itself to be, despite its egg carton tankiness, its butter knife dps, and its sticky tack cc. The problem with this is, many players on p99 have a variety of alts they can switch to in order to keep a group functioning properly, which leaves rangers with very little to contribute.

No, it's not the botb or most synergistic class but it gets the job done, especially when all aspects of its design are put to work. Having levitate, camouflage, bind sight, harmony, sow, and track at your disposal, plus bfg/trueshot, you will feel like a predator drone.
Last edited by Ennewi; 01-01-2019 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: Wall of text answer needed more wall.
Closed Thread