Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 06:21 PM
Sarnak

Default Green exp penalties

Apologies in advance since I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but are we confirmed that the hybrid exp penalties ARE in place at Green launch?

ty, sorry!!
Old 09-14-2019, 06:23 PM
Planar Protector

They're confirmed in the sense that they're a classic part of EverQuest, and Green is about reproducing classic EQ.

To put it another way ... if they aren't letting you have the pet window, do you really think they'd unclassically remove hybrid penalties?

But no I don't think they've explicitly said as much yet: it's just very clearly implied.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Sarnak

the only reason the xp penalties were removed was that it happened at a certain point in the classic timeline. there will be hybrid penalties to start and at the appropriate time, they will be removed.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:41 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veleria [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...at the appropriate time, they will be removed.
Hopefully...
Old 09-15-2019, 07:03 AM
Planar Protector

Note that while the experience modifiers are usually called hybrid penalties because those classes get the steepest modifiers, a lot of classes have experience penalties in the original game. Paladin/Shadow Knight/Ranger/Bard have a 40% modifier. Monk has a 20% penalty. Necromancer/Magician/Wizard/Enchanter have 10% penalties. Rogues and Warriors, being intended to be low-difficulty classes, have their usual modest bonuses. These bonuses or penalties multiply against racial modifiers, so a Troll Shadow Knight has a total 68% penalty (ouch!), and a Kunark-era Iksar Monk has a 44% penalty--steeper than the stock hybrid modifier. All of the class penalties are removed in early Velious, at the same time as the racial modifiers are made self-only.

Danth
Old 09-15-2019, 07:09 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the same time as the racial modifiers are made self-only.
What does this mean? A Troll still needs more exp, but he doesn't get proportionally more of the group exp?
Old 09-15-2019, 07:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by soronil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What does this mean? A Troll still needs more exp, but he doesn't get proportionally more of the group exp?
Correct. Once that change goes through (early Velious) the Troll simply levels slower than his Dark Elf buddy, as is presently the case on P1999-blue.

Note that the way the original experience system (the one we'll have on Green) works, experience is split according to a character's total experience. A lower-level Troll Shadow Knight will still take a smaller chunk of a group's experience than a Human Warrior who's several levels higher.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 09-15-2019 at 07:25 AM..
Old 09-15-2019, 08:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Note that while the experience modifiers are usually called hybrid penalties because those classes get the steepest modifiers, a lot of classes have experience penalties in the original game. Paladin/Shadow Knight/Ranger/Bard have a 40% modifier. Monk has a 20% penalty. Necromancer/Magician/Wizard/Enchanter have 10% penalties. Rogues and Warriors, being intended to be low-difficulty classes, have their usual modest bonuses. These bonuses or penalties multiply against racial modifiers, so a Troll Shadow Knight has a total 68% penalty (ouch!), and a Kunark-era Iksar Monk has a 44% penalty--steeper than the stock hybrid modifier. All of the class penalties are removed in early Velious, at the same time as the racial modifiers are made self-only.

Danth

I disagree with your assessment of why Rogues and Warriors get xp bonuses and the other classes get penalties.

If you pull out an Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Player's Handbook from way back when you will see those penalties pretty well translate the experience tables for the different classes in the table top version. In AD&D it took a lot more xp to level up your paladin than it did a thief or a fighter. It has always been my belief that the original devs were doing their darndest to accurately make an online AD&D sim.

Similarly, as I recall some races had level caps in playing some classes. Obviously capping a Troll at level 43 while letting a Human level all the way to 50 would have been a problem in an MMO. I think this is how they dealt with that issue.

As a final note I had always heard that humans were supposed to be the ones to receive the halfling xp bonus to represent the versatility they had in AD&D but it was actually a programming error that resulted in the halflings getting it.

On a different note I also heard that hell levels were actually the result of a programming error as well.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:53 AM
Planar Protector

What is crazy amazing about everquest is they just created all this history, all these balance rules, all these stats: In 3 years in their heads, then basically hard launched it and we've been playing it ever since.

Pretty crazy 3 pointer if game development was a basketball game. (I'm trying to use more non everquest references in my day to day per doctors orders)

It's nice to know they ripped off a lot of it or how the hell did they remember to add all these details.

Check out the big brain on Brad.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Banned

Troll SK is the worst in classic right?
Then Iksar SK in kunark?
Closed Thread