Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 11:50 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCry0x [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For the same reason anyone gives up one game and moves to the next.

I played blue. I got to 60. I did the kunark raid scene. I quit. I came back, did the velious raid scene. Quit again.

Green presents a forced reset - no twinks, no crowded raid scene with 5 million alts. No insanely inflated economy. Makes it a "uniquely" new experience.

If I was still leveling to 60, I agree, I'd probably not want to drop my "unfinished" character and start over.

My only dilemma this time around is do I play a class that fits my lifestyle (Druid/Necro -- something that can solo). Or a class that fits what I enjoy most, which is the social element of leveling, but will get stuck in the horrible EQ experience of spending your entire night LFG and accomplishing absolutely nothing on a day-day basis because you cannot find a group.
This is how clerics are made.

I started a cleric because i heard they were what got groups. I wasn't wrong. I ended up raiding past planes of power with a cleric from Kunark. I ended up being utterly bored with it. Facing walls in raids casting complete heal.

Not much point to this post i suppose other than warning people off making a character other than the one they want to play. Getting groups easy is initially amazing but turns to ashes in your mouth unless you really want to play it.

It's a good way to get an upper hand on a server as you will not want for groups, people will hound you for rezzes/ports and the like and more than likely you will have access to higher up loot and likely make money quicker.

But you will likely end up making a new character eventually.

In my case i ended up raiding with a character that bored me and was valuable for almost only one spell (Complete heal) and my clicky epic.

On the other hand if you can stand the above and are fine remaking yourself with a twink then maybe not a bad idea [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Not sure my testicles could bear it all over again though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

EDIT: To be clear i loved being a cleric bar the raiding. Seems most classes had a bit more of a fun time with it due to variety (E.g. pulling etc)

I loved helping people, being wanted and a valuable class etc.
Last edited by Hoppkins_Wytchfinder; 09-16-2019 at 11:53 AM..
Old 09-16-2019, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I strongly suspect most people will try Green. I also strongly suspect that many of the people who do think they're going to stick with Green, but won't, because they'll realize how much better of a game Blue is.

A fresh economy sounds great, but when you're running around with a rusty tin pot on your head and a branch you found on the ground, with an ugly UI that doesn't tell you your pet health or exact mana or XP ... not to mention the fact that Green is going to just be a mess for the first couple months ... I really think a lot of the "I'm going Green" camp is going to come back to Blue.

So to me the really interesting question isn't "how many are going to try Green?", it's how many are going to stick with it past the first couple months. I really think the "better game" is going to win over "more classic" game for a lot of people (and again, a lot of the people that think they want a more classic game).
this all appears to be correct [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-16-2019, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

imo the most delightful thing about p99 is that in pursuit of recreating a game that was abandoned in the first place because it was legitimately never viable for a host of reasons including but not limited to loramin's list, the developers created a wonderful game in its own right. often in spite of adamant insistence by those same developers that blue is not even a real game.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:38 PM
Sarnak

Oh boy, you guys are in for a treat.

Don't be fooled by the term "vanilla". Original EQ is pure crack. It hasn't been cut with anything else. Progression servers or whatever they call it nowadays are nothing; it's methadone at best.

What you are about to experience in a couple of months on Green, is a second shot at Eden. You just have no idea yet.

You will miss sleep. You will miss work. You will forsake your family and friends.

And when you catch a glimpse of the time and it's 2:43am on a Thursday, and you're still debating whether to log or not since you've only finally gotten into this camp that drops your quest piece for lambent armor(it has stats!!), and you realize you haven't logged in any of your blue server raid toons in weeks, you will smile.

And you will remember this post.

Astuce
Old 09-16-2019, 12:40 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nothing more classic than starting with nothing.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Kobold

Quitting blue to play green is absolutely no different from quitting EQ (whatever year that was) and eventually playing blue. It's no different from quitting one game and playing another, and believe me I've played a ton of MMOs. Anyone saying otherwise is a pixel obsessed elflord. It might be annoying for people just starting blue, but if you read what the project was about it should have been obvious that green was coming soon. Your reward for restarting is getting to play a fresh server with no bullshit.

Giving up your twink gear and groups full of twinks isn't a sacrifice.

It's classic.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:13 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuce999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Original EQ is pure crack. It hasn't been cut with anything else.
????
Old 09-16-2019, 01:20 PM
Fire Giant

You'd be a fool to be a fan of classic EQ and not participate in some form on a P99 Classic EQ server launch. Continue playing Blue or WoW classic or whatever it is your into at the time, but definitely make a character and join up IMO. This doesn't happen often.

Other servers try to match P99's ability to recreate this experience, P99 does it the best.

I have literally anything you could want on Blue and would give it all up without thinking for that classic group with no twinking. I /salute all you rolling green as a melee. Brave souls its going to be a very rewarding adventure
Oralen - 60 Ranger <Core>
Old 09-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Fire Giant

Baking soda + already-cut-cocaine was the general makeup of crack in the 80s/90s. Not sure what you kids are smoking today though.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:16 PM
Fire Giant

I'll go green just because I didn't start until Kunark in 2000 and I am not really invested on Blue99. It's great, but I don't really raid or have massive amounts of shit so I do not mind starting from scratch.
Closed Thread