Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 06-09-2020, 10:39 AM
Planar Protector

EQ Stratics class guide mentions the water pet's health regen multiple times:

Quote:
water pets regenerate fast and with one heal after the battle you are ready to go on
strong regeneration (water)
The water pet’s high regeneration rate also amplifies the heal effect and its high damage allows it to last a long time against most mobs (combine this with its agility and it can often outlast an earth pet and deal more damage).
A water pet with its high regeneration rate in this role works even better.

http://web.archive.org/web/200008311...sive_pt1.shtml
Oh and mentions the poison resist too:

Quote:
Special abilities (e.g., water pet cannot be poisoned and can hunt asps/spiders)
Old 06-10-2020, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

I managed to get ahold of some guys who run the Wayback Machine on Twitter, they are looking into why ezboard is blocked. If all goes well we might get the Magician's Tower back. Crossing my fingers.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...magicianstower
Old 06-10-2020, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I managed to get ahold of some guys who run the Wayback Machine on Twitter, they are looking into why ezboard is blocked. If all goes well we might get the Magician's Tower back. Crossing my fingers.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...magicianstower
It's because of the robots.txt on ezboard: it tells crawlers to stay out, and the Wayback Machine abides by that.

I actually emailed the Internet Archive people about it (I was focused on EQTraders.com, but same issue), and I essentially asked "what could I do to lift the restriction" ... and never heard back (or actually, I think they responded, but then didn't respond to my reply ... it was awhile ago so I forget).

I wish you all the luck in succeeding where I failed though!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's because of the robots.txt on ezboard: it tells crawlers to stay out, and the Wayback Machine abides by that.

I actually emailed the Internet Archive people about it (I was focused on EQTraders.com, but same issue), and I essentially asked "what could I do to lift the restriction" ... and never heard back (or actually, I think they responded, but then didn't respond to my reply ... it was awhile ago so I forget).

I wish you all the luck in succeeding where I failed though!
Actually, I just looked up the email, and ... I lied! The default explanation is robots.txt, but no less than the director himself explained that in fact:

Quote:
For “ezboard.com” I see:

>Sorry.
>This URL has been excluded from the Wayback Machine.

That is not based on robots.txt but rather a specific request from the site owner.

Mark Graham
Director, The Wayback Machine
I replied back with:

Quote:
Thank you so much for the quick reply!

If I could trouble you for just a couple more minutes of your time ...

1) If I could convince the rights holder to release the content, is it recoverable, or has it been deleted already?

2) Are you able to share any contact information at all about the rights holder, so that I can try to contact him or her?

And finally, this is purely an academic question, but if the rights holder dies in a situation like this, is the information truly lost forever, or would you accept authorization from a next of kin?

Thanks again for taking the time to help.
He responded:

Quote:
I will look into this.

- Mark
... but that was a lie, and he never got back to me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] This was all back in September of 2018.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

Yes I sent him the link to the ezboard thread on the wayback forums, be he insists it isn't the robots.txt, it is something else. They are looking into it now. I will keep you all updated...
Old 06-18-2020, 12:34 AM
Fire Giant

Regarding wayback machine.

I do research for another game. I am curious are the url exclusion rules used by wayback machine, what causes links to show green(will not work) when you search ?

I tend run into the wall of green links when i try to do old forum searches.

I have tried to get contact information of the owners of defunct web sites and i always get same response from hosting companies. 'Sorry no we cannot share that information" i doubt wayback will be able to release that information also.

thanks for listening

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 06-18-2020 at 12:44 AM..
Old 06-18-2020, 01:27 AM
Planar Protector

If links don't work it's because they weren't crawled.

Clicking individual links on the website is a waste of time, it's far simpler to just dump the entire website from Wayback and then search its contents locally. I use Wayback Machine downloader for this. I've got about 9GB of website grabs in my git repo now.

https://github.com/hartator/wayback-machine-downloader
Old 06-18-2020, 10:10 AM
Fire Giant

Thank you Dolalin

Didnt about the wayback downloader.

I tend to just explore the url's list of a site i am researching under summary. I usually find data of many of the archive sites that broken links used to lead to this way.

Good luck on you quest lost data !

Thank you again

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Old 07-25-2020, 09:21 PM
Decaying Skeleton

https://web.archive.org/web/20020802...ML/000629.html

This would imply that there were innate resists to certain elements based on the type of pet up until that point and beyond as they kept it in.

Quote:
Dear Mr Absor
I am writing this in hope of a response to my question..

With the upcoming changes to pets that Mr Rich posted about on the mage/necro class boards, i am left wondering that although the changes will be benefical in some aspects, i am puzzled about this:

Will pets lose there (near) immunity to spells of same type eg. Fire pet getting hit with fire spell...
Because if thats the case this is a bad bad change, some mobs (like the one in CoM) REQUIRE fire pets because of the nasty fire AE it casts which can kill players in seconds.

Although i genurally like the changes this is puzzling me, will the pets lose there immunity

Sinceraly...
Atermis
Atermis Entreri
50th Magician
Innoruuk Server

All of this is still in testing, so when all is said and done none of it, part of it or all of it may go Live.

Right now it’s working like this.

Summoned pets will use his owner’s resists and level against NPC spells unless the pet has a natural resistance that makes them immune or mostly so. Note: This only affects summoned pets and it will no affect spells cast by PCs - we don’t want to make a change that might dramatically change PvP until we know more about the effect it might have.

For example, fire elemental pets have incredibly high fire resistance, but low resistance to other type of magic. If someone tries to cast a fire-based spell on this pet, it will use its innate fire resistance because it's so high. If someone tries to cast a poison spell on the pet, it will use it's owner's current poison resistance score instead.

We’ve also added a bit more information to the /pet report health function. It will list the pet’s current effects along with its health.

And what’s with the Mr. Absor? My dad is called… no, wait, he isn’t. He’s called Mr. VanCouvering…

Oh well.

Alan
Old 07-25-2020, 09:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellySorryUs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://web.archive.org/web/20020802...ML/000629.html

This would imply that there were innate resists to certain elements based on the type of pet up until that point and beyond as they kept it in.
That post is from July 2002, That's outside the timeline. Late Luclin
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.