Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 03-07-2019, 02:48 PM
Kobold

Default Spirit Wracked Cords - Dropping?

My understanding through semi-reliable secondhand knowledge is that these are dropping off of Grand Lorekeeper Kino Shai`din. I assume this is unintentional like the Beastlord arms? In case it isn't unintentional -

I can't find any posts that anyone saw these drop until post-Luclin. Even in late 2002 people were acting as if it was a new development or possibly a bug. If they do drop they should at the least be insanely rare, possibly one of the rarest drops in the game. People are talking about camping him for weeks to get the Vocal Cords without ever seeing the Spirit Wracked Cords.

The wayback capture of how.to/chardok, which was considered the definitive in-era guide, makes no mention of a drop. Even though the capture is from 2003 and it has the updated reference to Angry Goblin spawning in FM and a last updated date of 2003, the guide was originally written in 2001 and is referenced by in-era posts.
https://web.archive.org/web/20030124...to:80/chardok/

His eqbeastiary page from June 2002 only shows him dropping the Cloak and the Vocal Cords
https://web.archive.org/web/20020703....shtml?id=8458

No mentions on Zam comments of it dropping prior to 2002 and even after that the mentions are mostly spread out by years.

This October 2002 post, and a similar post the same guy made on the Zam Spirit Wracked Cord page, is the earliest reference I can find to them dropping.
Quote:
Oct 08 2002
Dropped Spirit Wracked Cords for our Royals raid.
Yes you read right.
Our MA got them.
(In Reply to the October 8 post)
Quote:
Oct 10 2002
Hmm. Spirit Wracked Cord is supposed to be a quest item only.

Quote:
Feb 05 2003
The Lorekeeper dropped the Cords for us as well several months ago. Since then however we've killed him numerous times and he has not dropped them since. It's either an extremely rare drop, or it was a bugged loot table and it has been corrected by VI (without letting the players know of course).
There are some other posts mentioning them dropping post 2005, but people mostly camped him for the Vocal Cords.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=8458

A Concert Hall thread about farming the Vocal Cords, which were apparently extremely rare in their own right -

Quote:
Sep 25, 2003
Grand Lorekeeper drops the damnable cloak of imperception (you'll grow to hate it as much as I do), tanned iskar leggings (lower level caster pants), History of the Greenmist and the preserved chokidai vocal cords.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thec...ords-t904.html

Quote:
Nov 15, 2003
...Thankfully I was wrong -- spent only about 20 hours down there, and got both drops I was after (the other being Anklesmasher).

Here's a rundown of my spawns (41 in all):
LP (HD), LP (NB), AL, AL, AL, LP (HD), LP (NB), AL, GLKS (TIHL), LP (HD), LP (ISR), AL, LP (HD), LP (ISR), AL, AL, LP (HD), LP (HD), LP (NB), AL, LP (NB), AL, LP (HD), AL, AL, LP (NB), LP (ISR), AL, LP (HD), LP (HD), AL, AL, AL, LP (HD), LP (NB), AL, GLKS (TIHL), AL, GLKS (PCVC), AL, LP (AS)

Legend:
AL -- an Apprentice Lorekeeper (x18, 44%)

LP -- Loremaster Piza'tak (x20, 49%)
. . . HD -- History of the Di'zok (x10)
. . . NB -- Nathsar Breastplate (x6)
. . . ISR -- Intricate Silver Rapier (x3)
. . . AS -- Anklesmasher (x1)

GLKS -- Grand Lorekeeper Kino Shai'din (x3, 7%)
. . . TIHL -- Tanned Iksar Hide Leggings (x2)
. . . PCVC -- the jackpot, Preserved Chokidai Vocal Cords (x1)
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thec...-t904-s10.html

A Safehouse Thread questioning if they still drop in 2003 -
Quote:
08-16-03, 11:44 PM
Re: Do Spirit wracked cords still DROP ......

Yes it still does drop, though it is rarer than the halfling mask if that helps tell you how often.

Drops off the Grand Lorekeeper who is the rarest of 3 spawns. Common being PH, rare being Lore keeper, rarest being Grand lorekeeper. On top of that the chords are his rare drop. Honestly I think it is easier to work faction and quest them.
Quote:

Factioning and doing the ring quests, getting sinew from Trak/Juggs, and killing DS/buying the urn MQ is still going to be MUCH MUCH easier than trying to get the item to drop for you...
https://thesafehouse.org/forums/foru...rds-still-drop

Quote:
08-21-03, 02:26 AM

The cords being a drop, rare or not, sounds suspiciously like a "brother's friend's cousin heard from this guy who knows this kid..." type story. Anything is possible, but I'd bet good money that this item doesn't drop. Knowing SOE and their penchant for screwing up, I suppose it's possible that it dropped for a period of like 4 hours between some patch and the emergency-patch-to-fix-the-patch one day, but that'd be the extent of it. Especially with a long & involved quest in place to attain the item.
Quote:
09-12-03, 01:30 PM

They dropped on a Chardok raid 8/23/03. First time EVER that I've seen them drop, and I've spent quite a bit of time there.
https://thesafehouse.org/forums/foru...ill-drop/page2

Here's an incomplete loot table from January 2002 that only has him dropping the Cloak
http://www.oocities.org/stoikeci/Cha...dokLootNew.htm

I can never get Magelo wayback to work, but Spirit Wracked Cord wasn't added to the Magelo database until 12 days after Luclin
https://eq.magelo.com/item/5723

The only thing I've seen that mentions them dropping in 2001 is a guy in the Safe House thread claiming they dropped for him on day 1 of the Chardok patch, and he claims in the 2 years since he never heard of them dropping again.
Quote:
09-02-03,
I got my cords as a drop first day they patched the (old)new quests/items into Chardok. (read: first day they existed on live) We were heading down to do the king/queen and just happened the grand lorekeeper was there. Drop him, he drops cords, I get cords, I wet myself.

At first I stocked it up as a glitch in the loot tables, but apparently it isn't. Still, as far as I know I'm the only person on Tribunal to get one as a drop.
https://thesafehouse.org/forums/foru...347#post184347

Anecdotally, if these were dropping on Live as soon as Chardok was patched it seems like someone would've mentioned it in the 12 months between October 2001 and October 2002. Hopefully I didn't look over something obvious didn't want to spend much time looking into this since I assume it's unintentional.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:09 PM
Kobold

Didn't see the thread in server chat before my post, but apparently it is dropping on P99 per our forums.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...315055&page=17
Old 03-07-2019, 06:03 PM
Kobold

1) The chardok update was a novelty patch that few people really cared for on Live, especially early on with the Luclin update looming.

2) Allakazam was (and is?) a cesspool for cluless players; the notion of the typical site visitor sitting down to camp the Library between October '01 and December '01 is laughable. Even moreso for any length of time required to statistically get the drop.

Personally, I was one of the only people killing Loremaster on my server and never saw the cord. Does this mean it's doesn't belong on the table? Of course not; that camp was a pain in the ass to hold down back then, especially without gimmicky faction/charm antics. Just because it's rare doesn't mean it's not classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anecdotally, if these were dropping on Live as soon as Chardok was patched it seems like someone would've mentioned it in the 12 months between October 2001 and October 2002.
Why? Noone went down there. And if you wanted the cords, you simply quested them. The quest wasn't widely known about and there was no ridiculously dumb queue for shady/angry goblin.

After Luclin hit, even fewer people cared.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:46 PM
Kobold

The same logic that applies to why holding the library is easier now applies to the entire quest. People weren't double invising and lev tricking off the pillar to get to Drusella's room 2 minutes after zoning in and then soloing her, it would have been a multi-hour clear of South and the front of East to even get a chance at a rare drop from a 24 hour respawn. Then farming another rare drop from Juggs. That's only after killing thousands of mobs to even be able to start the quest.

As it is this looks to be based on post-Luclin loot tables the same as Hammered Golden Loop, the Pearly Sarnak Bauble, the beastlord arms, the "No Pet" tagged proc weapon and whatever else is not classic and is or was dropping. A lot of Chardok loot was changed after Luclin.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:45 PM
Planar Protector

Lol @ the notion that no one explored Chardok cause Luclin was 2 months off. I mean, really? Total joke, guess they stopped killing royals because click sticks were becoming obsolete with Luclin around the corner.

Some people will say anything to keep non classic pixels.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I can never get Magelo wayback to work, but Spirit Wracked Cord wasn't added to the Magelo database until 12 days after Luclin
https://eq.magelo.com/item/5723
Oddly enough, Spirit Wracked Cords entered the Magelo Database 2 months prior to Spirit Wracked Urn did. So, if you're going off Magelo entry dates, you'd come to the conclusion that the drop cords predates the quested cords. Of course, the Undead Dragon Sinew predates both. Perhaps you could make the argument that the quest was broken initially?

IMO, this seems like an easy case of argument from ignorance (or rather the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence).

I've got longer explanations on using item IDs in the past explaining why its not 100%. The TLDR is that for itemIDs that are likely wrong will have either deleted or out-of-era items next to them. In addition, an item being in the database doesn't mean it was actually dropping in game. In this case, the nearby item IDs (guard captain's mallet, nathsar bracer, finely woven mantle, cloak of imperception) all seem to suggest this going in with a bunch of other items known to exist in that time period.

Consider that royals raids weren't exactly a daily thing, generally required 3+ groups, and the library w/ Lorekeeper had to be the absolute worst place to wait out 2-hour spawns. Extremely rare drop from a rare spawn in an area where very few folk ventured. Said rare drop still exists on live. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=12318 talks about them dropping in 2015.

Your one quote about getting 3/41 (7%) spawns of Grand Lorekeeper.
Assuming his figures are accurate and that magelos droprate (2/34 or 5.8%) are samples not far from the actual figures: you'd be looking at an individual pH chance having a 0.4% chance of dropping Spirit Wracked Cords. An average of ~1/250 spawns or 5000 minutes of camping (assuming the pHs are instantly dying).

Scenarios
1) Spirit Wracked Cords have been in the game from Oct 11 2001 onward (or lets say March of 2015 based on the most recent allakhazam comment from live).
2) Spirit Wracked Cords were intentionally added (but undocumented via patch notes) sometime after Chardok 2.0 Revamp, but before the first reported instance of them dropping in October 2002.

Scenario #1 seems a lot more likely to me. Frankly, I feel that Kino dropping the cords was probably a mistake that never got corrected.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:46 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol @ the notion that no one explored Chardok cause Luclin was 2 months off. I mean, really? Total joke, guess they stopped killing royals because click sticks were becoming obsolete with Luclin around the corner.

Some people will say anything to keep non classic pixels.
Aside from an infrequent royals raid, noone was there on the Rathe. Perhaps you have better firsthand knowledge than me. Or perhaps you didn't even play back then and you take the incessant ramblings of clueless people on Allakazam as gospel.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:42 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Scenarios
1) Spirit Wracked Cords have been in the game from Oct 11 2001 onward (or lets say March of 2015 based on the most recent allakhazam comment from live).
2) Spirit Wracked Cords were intentionally added (but undocumented via patch notes) sometime after Chardok 2.0 Revamp, but before the first reported instance of them dropping in October 2002.

Scenario #1 seems a lot more likely to me. Frankly, I feel that Kino dropping the cords was probably a mistake that never got corrected.
I'm not arguing Spirit Wracked Cords didn't exist, I'm arguing they didn't drop until after Luclin. They were a quest, and the quest was documented. There are references to people completing the quest prior to Luclin. There was an entire forum, and later an entire website, dedicated to the quest. None of that exists for the drop.

Kino's cloak was nerfed after the Chardok patch but before Luclin, if it was a mistake and they were on his loot table at that point seems like they would have noticed a random BIS item that required a lengthy quest on his loot table when they were nerfing it or at the least they would have noticed it a month later when they were altering loot across the entire zone.

Imo the likely scenario is they were introduced as a quest. Once Luclin loot was introduced making them less desirable Verant introduced them as a drop as part of their effort to make the game easier. The same reason they made Hammered Golden Loop droppable and all the other things they changed in Chardok post-Luclin.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Planar Protector

Idk the king is a few feet away and dropped a bis item in kunark, it's not that crazy to think the guys who designed chardok put another extremely rare bis item deep in it's depths. Holding kino down in era for something that rare would have been wildly difficult, certainly difficult enough to go unnoticed or unreported. Also all of your evidence points to the fact that they did drop, nothing shows that it was a later addition with a balance patch or that it didn't drop originally, that's all just ppl speculating which sounds like pretty poor classic questing.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Idk the king is a few feet away and dropped a bis item in kunark, it's not that crazy to think the guys who designed chardok put another extremely rare bis item deep in it's depths. Holding kino down in era for something that rare would have been wildly difficult, certainly difficult enough to go unnoticed or unreported. Also all of your evidence points to the fact that they did drop, nothing shows that it was a later addition with a balance patch or that it didn't drop originally, that's all just ppl speculating which sounds like pretty poor classic questing.
Nothing King drops can be obtained through a lengthy quest.