Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 06:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Huge pros and cons to whichever direction you went (that you discovered about 300 hours into gameplay). We are just all a bit more impatient these days with the imperfections.
I chuckle a bit at myself in the sense that I detested EQ's class balance back in-era. It caused numerous forum arguments/rants/etc and caused me to un-subscribe more than once. On P99 class balance doesn't bother me at all because I know what I'm getting going into it. There's no uncertainty here. Everything is laid out in advance and I'm free to make my choice without ever feeling cheated. As you say, EQ has its own sort of balance where about any class has some things it's good at and other things it's not so good at. None of the tank classes in this game are "full service." They're at their best in different areas of the game and all have their own weaknesses. I wouldn't necessarily call EQ's approach better than the more modern notion of having classes that perform similarly within their respective roles, but knowing in advance how things work on P99 I can accept EQ's system for what it is without complaint. Sometimes having the benefit of hindsight is a real nice bonus.

Danth
Old 12-01-2020, 11:44 PM
Kobold

Here’s the number one issue I didn’t see addressed.
Do you plan on soloing with your warrior at all?

Ie... do you plan on playing it when you want to? Or just logging in and lfg for a few minutes before swapping back to you dial a port main or whatever.

Bc if your going to solo. You need that truncheon to proc. Also those blood points. Probably want some of those to proc as well. Heck, maybe even need a snare proc. Seriously. Might need that.

If any of that is a consideration. Then put points into dex.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:07 AM
Fire Giant

+10 STR +15 STA for casual fun imho. Could move the 5 from STA into DEX or STR if you're so inclined.

Reasoning: A little STR will help with all the crap you have carry. STA for hit points. Mostly ignoring DEX, because it's reasonably high as an iksar.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here’s the number one issue I didn’t see addressed.
Do you plan on soloing with your warrior at all?

Ie... do you plan on playing it when you want to? Or just logging in and lfg for a few minutes before swapping back to you dial a port main or whatever.

Bc if your going to solo. You need that truncheon to proc. Also those blood points. Probably want some of those to proc as well. Heck, maybe even need a snare proc. Seriously. Might need that.

If any of that is a consideration. Then put points into dex.
I at least ignored that since this was in anticipation of green launching. Unless the OP has been socking manastones there will be no ToD, bloodpoints, or fungi. The last of which will make the 1-50 solo trivially easy.

If you want to solo a warrior roll a gnome on blue. 40% spell haste arms are a massive advantages and cost practically nothing compared to the gear above (about one BP).
Old 12-16-2020, 11:29 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I at least ignored that since this was in anticipation of green launching. Unless the OP has been socking manastones there will be no ToD, bloodpoints, or fungi. The last of which will make the 1-50 solo trivially easy.

If you want to solo a warrior roll a gnome on blue. 40% spell haste arms are a massive advantages and cost practically nothing compared to the gear above (about one BP).
Grumph didn't mention a Fungi, and dex would do nothing for one. So not 100% sure where that's coming from.

Bloodpoints are 8k a piece on Green *right now* and that price will likely fall abit more. ToD is a crazy expensive 50k on Green, that will fall, but even if it doesn't fall *much* (and it should), the camp isn't that bad. That is, a warrior in a decent guild has a shot at getting there and looting one.

All of which is to say, 16k 2xBlood + 50k ToD + 100k fungi != 200k or whatever for a manastone. Especially if the 16k & 50k come down or get looted (as a ToD is reasonable), and the 100k is ignored (can solo fine as an Iksar without Fungi. Hell, Iksar + Cere Ikky BP are about equal to other races + Fungi).
Old 12-18-2020, 08:49 AM
Sarnak

I'm currently playing an Iksar Warrior (currently 28) and haven't joined a group yet. With me wearing Ikky BP, FBSS, and dual wielding Wurmys, I solo yellows with ease......and that's at level 28! I'll keep you updated as I level. I'm curious how far I can go without the support of a group.

EDIT: The only problem that I could run into.... is joining a group and keeping aggro.
Last edited by Malykor; 12-18-2020 at 08:52 AM..
Old 12-18-2020, 09:22 AM
Planar Protector

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Grumph didn't mention a Fungi, and dex would do nothing for one. So not 100% sure where that's coming from.

Bloodpoints are 8k a piece on Green *right now* and that price will likely fall abit more. ToD is a crazy expensive 50k on Green, that will fall, but even if it doesn't fall *much* (and it should), the camp isn't that bad. That is, a warrior in a decent guild has a shot at getting there and looting one.

All of which is to say, 16k 2xBlood + 50k ToD + 100k fungi != 200k or whatever for a manastone. Especially if the 16k & 50k come down or get looted (as a ToD is reasonable), and the 100k is ignored (can solo fine as an Iksar without Fungi. Hell, Iksar + Cere Ikky BP are about equal to other races + Fungi).
I mentioned the fungi because a solo warrior without decent hp regen and stacks of bandages is a sadists journey; it’s doable but pretty horrible relative to any other solo class. I assumed the OP was working with a lower budget hence disagreeing with the toolkit suggested being attainable. Camping a ToD is still pretty tough; 50k items are that price because they are very rare. I never said dex would help a fungi nor even recommended it as a stat build so likewise 100% don’t know where that came from.

As for the iksar innate regen and an iksar bp being similar to a fungi that isn’t true. Trolls and Iksars from 51-56 have 6hp standing regen (so 11 with a Iksar bp), 10 standing 56-59 (15 with iksar bp), and 12 standing at 60 (17 with iksar bp). Even at 60 when grinding isn’t needed and racial regen is cooking along nicely a fungi would be a 38% improvement (or almost double from 56-59).

The OP should play a warrior and have fun. If that means loading up Netflix and soloing so be it. With the best tools it’s still a steep hill though past 50.
Last edited by Snaggles; 12-18-2020 at 09:36 AM..
Old 12-18-2020, 12:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malykor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm currently playing an Iksar Warrior (currently 28) and haven't joined a group yet. With me wearing Ikky BP, FBSS, and dual wielding Wurmys, I solo yellows with ease......and that's at level 28! I'll keep you updated as I level. I'm curious how far I can go without the support of a group.

EDIT: The only problem that I could run into.... is joining a group and keeping aggro.
The problem you're gunna run into is when wurmys stop being secondary usable.

For now, slaughter house.
Lost but not forgotten.
Closed Thread