Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 12:30 PM
Sarnak

Default Monk dps question

So, my human monk is around level 25.

I have a wu's trance stick and a fighting baton.

Assuming my h2h and 1hb skills are maxed and i'm just leveling.

The wu's stick is 7/18.

The fighting baton is 8/20.

The monk fists at 25 are 9/35.

So the best setup would be; wu's stick in primary and nothing in secondary?
Old 12-01-2020, 12:38 PM
Planar Protector

I am not an expert by any means on dual wield, but I believe ratio still matters on offhand, so baton is still a better offhand, even though the damage is lower.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:41 PM
Banned

wu's main / Fb off. Your base fist dmg/delay won't overtake a baton until level 45, though you should probably just scrap the human and reroll iksar to stave off your inevitable regret when you get to 60 and wish you had good regen
Old 12-02-2020, 04:18 AM
Kobold

Default dmg / delay for offhand

The way that I understand it, is that for your offhand weapon delay doesn't matter but dmg/delay ratio is counted. So if a weapon has a good dmg/delay ratio that's what you'll want to use, even if it is slow (high delay).

That's why you see so many people using adamantite club (15 dmg / 25 delay) and stave of shielding (17 dmg / 28 delay) offhand.

And if you like human, stick with it. I think they look cooler than Iksar even though Iksar have more utility. Also iksar have a 20% xp penalty which really starts to hurt 50+. Play the game the way you want.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-02-2020, 05:56 AM
Planar Protector

The way off hand works is each time the weapon’s delay expires it has a chance to proc (half the rate of normal) and rolls a duel wield skill check to see if it will swing. Note this means the weapon can proc without swinging.

To compare dps you need to estimate the % of times that dw check passes and use it as a factor. Also remember double attack is at a significant penalty on the off hand (I’m not entirely sure how it works, maybe counts as 150 less skill than the main hand) and the off hand receives no damage bonus.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:26 AM
Planar Protector

IMHO, the real question is why not use a Wu’s Quivering Staff (2hb). Those things are insane to 30 and not bad past that.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:38 AM
Planar Protector

What level/AC are the targets you're fighting, this is very important to keep in mind.

The rule of thumb I've seen is 2h for blue/green mobs and 1h for white/yellow/red mobs.
But don't listen to this part....

Because it depends on your targets. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:59 PM
Sarnak

Last I checked the damage bonus was increased for 2hnd weapons such that they are better for high ac/level targets. So the rule of thumb you're offering, "2h for blue/green mobs and 1h for white/yellow/red mobs" is actually backwards, at least at 60.

You'd have to go look at the bonus dmg number to determine the exact breaking point though.

Also, from experience 2h assuming it's not hampered by a dmg cap is almost always better, assuming similiar ratio, than 1h weapons because of the lack of dual weild skill to proc the offhand swing until the late 40s early 50s.

Finally, as you'll see far less riposte dmg from a 2hnder while leveling solo. My advice is to get a cheap Wu's quivering staff and ride it till low 50s when you should be looking for upgrade to ifs/peacebringer/epic&sos combo.
Last edited by Duckwalk; 12-02-2020 at 02:07 PM..
Old 12-02-2020, 03:18 PM
Sarnak

Short answer is choose the weapon with the best ratio for main hand after adding in dmg bonus (at lvl 25 without a damage bonus the .4 ratio FB beats the .39 trance stick) and best ratio in offhand. Speed will matter more for your main hand as you get more damage bonus points at higher lvls.

Not your question but there are some good value 2handers (Wus quivering staff and Staff of Battle) which will beat the combo you mentioned. They can be heavier and streaky. As baler mentioned 2handed weapons can struggle against higher lvl mobs and those with better AC (like those in Velious).

Either way you’re in great shape for doing some big damage and having a ton of fun! Don’t forget your HP and resists, at the end of the day surviving a big pull when grouping and being able to bind wound more hp and pop that clutch mend will come in handy soloing.
Last edited by Stonewallx39; 12-02-2020 at 03:47 PM..
Old 12-02-2020, 03:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not your question but 2handers will beat the combo you mentioned. They can be heavier and streaky. As baler mentioned 2handed weapons can struggle against higher lvl mobs and those with better AC (like those in Velious).
When the 2hnd update went in, they increased the damage bonus. Last I checked, at 60 similarly situated 2hd should outperform 1hd on higher level / ac targets. Note, only relevant to blue server. Also, not sure where the breaking point for dmg bonus application lies for 1hd / 2hd pre 60.
Closed Thread