Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 09:54 AM
Fire Giant

Default Irresponsible to keep raid ban going

This is not a rant or a flame so I did not post it there. This is also not for me, i am a 1% RA raider and have a newborn and my plate is currently too full to do much more than discord and forum quest atm. Now that i've got that out of the way, here goes.

Everquest at it's heart is a social game. With the pandemic still as bad as ever and political turmoil in the US, it's important to be able to fall back on our other ways being social and for a lot of us that in raiding.

I also don't think it takes much time playing on P99 and especially raiding on P99 to start getting red flags of mental illness that is being managed and that is not being managed.

With those two things in mind, it doesn't make sense to me why we're not taking a more humanistic approach here. If P99 is place people find their outlet and with all of the extra ordinary stress we're all going through right now, why take that away from people. This just seems like a very harsh tactic during already tough times for a lot of people when really this is about infighting amongst 30 or so people, the amount of raiders suspended is hundreds of people.

So, that is my question and my thoughts on it. I left the UN chan after I saw the sanctioned trolling and general pot stirring that was being allowed to happen and encouraged. Here are two quick ideas on better solutions.

Why not just quake people into submission? Are we really worried about the perceived pixel value lowering and thus lowering population of a server that is not for profit? Let people blow off some steam, by the 5th back to back quake everyone will have a door prize.

When I hard the problem described to me, it sounds like a systems issue where less intense player populations do not have access to raid targets and the current raiding guilds petition each other too much. So, instead of a social solution, why not try a technical one. The implementation of the /list on green was very successful imo.

Taking that logic to blue, there are a myriad of technical solutions out there. My personal favorite is create instances for those that want a more casual play style. Put them on 2-3 week cooldowns that would reset on a quake. Limit instance mobs to dropping 2 loots. Then have open world mobs, they always drop 3-5 loots and there are no raid rules. No reason to petition because because there's nothing to be enforced. Play nice policy still covers non raiders in the zone.

Anyway, after checking back in with a lot of my discord communities from my break I felt like I should say something.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:10 AM
Sarnak

the staff does not negotiate with terrorists.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:20 AM
Planar Protector

So, people are using P99 to self medicate their mental health issues, and you decided the moral choice is to continue to enable their addiction to raiding as much as possible?
Old 11-05-2020, 10:35 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, people are using P99 to self medicate their mental health issues, and you decided the moral choice is to continue to enable their addiction to raiding as much as possible?
Not here to solve their problems, but I think at some point there is a responsibility to understand the community at large and know the vulnerable populations among them. This is really to punish about 30 poeople.

Like i said, i'm not even raiding or playing atm. But i see people i know and friends struggling with a bunch IRL right now, so, why not say something and see if i can take one less thing stressing them off their plate?

All of this "why so serious" and "it's just a game" really needs a reality check. I think we all know what the deal is at this point, no need to gas light yourself.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:46 AM
Fire Giant

You are right eq is a social game. Those of us who are healthy raid sometimes and play it as a fun social community game while also having a job and or wife and kids. The problem is the people who are not ok and are not playing eq as a social community game but instead playing it like a 12 year old on call of duty need to learn to stop being toxic or leave our server.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:00 AM
Banned

You can be social without raids.

Hell, you can be social without EQ. I strongly recommend it.

Covid is nothing. Go outside.
Last edited by kjs86z; 11-05-2020 at 11:02 AM..
Old 11-05-2020, 11:04 AM
Planar Protector

Sorry you don’t got raid
Old 11-05-2020, 12:31 PM
Sarnak

I keep seeing people suggesting instances as a solution with no idea of the complexity involved. As I understand it, there's code for instancing in EQEMU but P99 got forked so long ago and the instancing software was 'removed'.

I hear non-programmers (and I'm currently in this bucket, it's been years) say 'just add instances' with no idea the level of complexity involved. I think it's pretty safe to say that instances will never be implemented on P99. Of course, I've not seen the guts of P99 so what do I know?

edit: don't get me wrong, I love the idea of instances, I just don't see it happening.

Zipps - 51 HLF Druid <Castle>
Lykosor - 49 DE Necro <Castle>
Aspom - 12 HEF Ranger <Castle>
Slyng - 31 HEF Bard <Castle>
Flecrad - 21 DE Enchanter <Castle>
Lykos - 43 HIE Mage <Castle>
Ribkage - 17 GNM Boneknight <Castle>
Old 11-05-2020, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry you don’t got raid
Old 11-05-2020, 02:59 PM
Sarnak

if its not classic they just aren't going to do it. The devs do not seem to see themselves as managing their own game but as reproducing someone elses.
Closed Thread