Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 02:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtMystium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have never experienced VR whatsoever. how did it ruin first person screen games? i'm scared.
i feel totally disconnected from my first person POVs thru pancake screen now. stereoscopic image and a real POV in the world put it totally to shame. I recently got my hands back from being crippled for 3 years and I can't even bring myself to play CS anymore (played it for 15 years).

I think the stereoscopy is the really irreplaceable part, even low poly stuff is WAY more gorgeous than the new calladuty. I recommend the game Compound for the duke nukem VR experience. Being inside a low poly / lowres world is kind of a LSD dream come true. I do a couple runs of compound a day for my corona exercise.

Counterstrike in lasertag mode (pavlov vr) is light years cooler too. Most of the maps played are copies of CSGO maps, so you're actually inside Mirage etc, ported in bit by bit. I mean you get to go inside your computer, it's sooo cool esp. if you have a big empty space set up for it.

(Valve is a huge shit for not porting a CS to VR along with HL:Alyx.)

Anyway, VR is great exercise. It also does not aggravate old gamer/coder/writer RSI at all, so I would say it's super healthy. It's honestly the best way to play games. I'm all-in on it for first person games especially. The naysayers are generally weird luddites or parrots (also poor). The only downers are "lack of content" (I only play a few games anyway) and small, insular playerbase for the PC vr exclusives (pavlov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]). Games that run on the Quest and phone and shit tend to be super populous tho.
Last edited by imperiouskitten; 12-02-2020 at 02:13 AM..
Old 12-02-2020, 02:22 AM
Banned

I dunno I've never enjoyed any first person VR game\experience I've tried. There are too many weird compensations to make it all work. The lack of any kind of biofeedback is a big one. It looks convincing (usually) from a strictly visual standpoint, but then you try to press against a wall with your "hands" and you don't feel any resistance. It's tricking your brain in one sensory area; your eyes, but not in any others, and it feels gimmicky and cumbersome. Stereoscopy is neat but I mean, get a 3ds, or go to a 3d IMAX movie. Even 20 years ago they had stereoscopic rendering on certain video cards that required goggles. They all kinda seem cool at first but quickly lose their initial wow factor.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtMystium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lol
Old 12-02-2020, 02:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I dunno I've never enjoyed any first person VR game\experience I've tried. There are too many weird compensations to make it all work. The lack of any kind of biofeedback is a big one. It looks convincing (usually) from a strictly visual standpoint, but then you try to press against a wall with your "hands" and you don't feel any resistance. It's tricking your brain in one sensory area; your eyes, but not in any others, and it feels gimmicky and cumbersome. Stereoscopy is neat but I mean, get a 3ds, or go to a 3d IMAX movie. Even 20 years ago they had stereoscopic rendering on certain video cards that required goggles. They all kinda seem cool at first but quickly lose their initial wow factor.
there's infinitely more biofeedback than the *zero* gotten thru a kb_mouse, contrary-san! It's still a computer game, and a simulation. The haptics in most applications are pretty awesome in fact, and don't tell me the RumblePak achieved the same thing in 1996 or that physically-layered, illusory stereoscopy in a flat 3ds game is anywhere near comparable to being inside a stereoscopic 3d world with a completely free point of view. The 3d effect, being the "realest" implementation ever, is also substantially better than in a huge blurry IMAX screen designed to be viewed from a wide range of angles -- which gives me headaches. It's not a gimmick at all, it's depth perception and I can hit a bird in flight with a bow in skyrim with no sighting or reticle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] (i got the mod that makes the arrows fly at a realistic speed [much faster])

I do look forward to enhanced feedback mechanisms too though. Maybe like a magnetic grid you step into that levitates/manipulates objects to obstruct you physically, or like match against your sword in a swordfight. The mechanics of it do make for greater immersion in shooting games (with a stock) than in other things, indeed. But yep it's here, and it blew my mind when I first experienced it in 2016ish. And blows my mind again everytime I jack back in. Maybe you're just looking to be unhappy and contrary in all matters, dougie.
Last edited by imperiouskitten; 12-02-2020 at 02:43 AM..
Old 12-02-2020, 02:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperiouskitten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
there's infinitely more biofeedback than thru a kb_mouse, contrary-san! It's still a computer game, and a simulation. The haptics in most applications are pretty awesome, and don't tell me the RumblePak achieved the same thing in 1996 or that physically-layered illusory stereoscopy in a 2d 3ds game is anywhere near comparable. I can tell by your complaints that you didn't get good.

I do look forward to enhanced feedback mechanisms too though. Maybe like a magnetic grid you step into that levitate /manipulates objects to obstruct you physically, or react against your sword.
Yeah it definitely looks very cool, but on balance I think it has a long way to go for a compelling case to be made that first-person games in general are better in VR. I'll gladly play them if they can get to that point though
Old 12-02-2020, 02:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah it definitely looks very cool, but on balance I think it has a long way to go for a compelling case to be made that first-person games in general are better in VR. I'll gladly play them if they can get to that point though
how is it even a remotely close contest? In one, I am immersed in a world almost as real as my own, craning my neck to see around me freely, using my legs to walk in real and virtual space, wielding a bow with real actions represented off-screen, getting exercise and not sitting at my stinky computer chair. In the other, I am clicking a mouse and keyboard designed for data manipulation and word processing to move a flat image around on a monitor feet from my face, zero of my actions abstracting to any ingame counterpart directly, pressing R to reload, real world consuming much of my field of vision. Are you fat, douglas-san? Or just frightened by the new and slow to learn?
Last edited by imperiouskitten; 12-02-2020 at 02:51 AM..
Old 12-02-2020, 09:55 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperiouskitten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
how is it even a remotely close contest? In one, I am immersed in a world almost as real as my own, craning my neck to see around me freely, using my legs to walk in real and virtual space, wielding a bow with real actions represented off-screen, getting exercise and not sitting at my stinky computer chair. In the other, I am clicking a mouse and keyboard designed for data manipulation and word processing to move a flat image around on a monitor feet from my face, zero of my actions abstracting to any ingame counterpart directly, pressing R to reload, real world consuming much of my field of vision. Are you fat, douglas-san? Or just frightened by the new and slow to learn?
So when will I be able to camp orc 1 with VR?
Old 12-02-2020, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
So when will I be able to camp orc 1 with VR?
You can look around while your character is auto-attacking
Old 12-03-2020, 12:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
jesus luls where do you find these amazing pics
looks like he makes them.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 12-03-2020, 12:49 AM
Banned

I have a feeling it will be just like watching shitty tv
Closed Thread