Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 08:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack N [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm looking forward to P99 getting some national news coverage when some nerd croaks from a 120-hour manastone session.
Let's get an R&F thread going for over under on manastone deaths (irl) in the next 6 months.

I can't wait for fungus staff /list
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-11-2019 at 09:08 AM..
Old 11-11-2019, 08:57 AM
Sarnak

Oh my, people crying about a long manastone camp already?

Oh boy. lol
Old 11-11-2019, 09:05 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been at the manastone camp for 29 hours currently, and have been awake for a total of 37 or so hours.

I am #2 on the list which means ostensibly I need to continue clicking this check box every 5 to 15 mins for the next 10 to 20 hours straight.

This is beyond unhealthy but it is the only way to get one when the other guys just run a roster and sit in camp doing shifts. Its so blatantly obvious watching a toon LD, come back and cast entirely different spells and sit somewhere else for 6 hours+, then the original comes back etc.

I'm a bit afraid for my health but short of sharing accounts there's nothing that can be done except be at this camp for a minimum of 40 hours (MINIMUM) as the drop rate is so unclassic. Pretty soul destroying I gotta say.

Edit: Not knowing how the afk checks work is kinda shit too, the limits are not clearly defined. Running off for a shit, shower, prepare some fucking dogshit unhealthy meal praying this AFK check doesnt boot me from list is mega aids. Craving for the ability to just switch off for 30mins and enjoy a steak haha.
Big if true
Old 11-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Planar Protector

My God, why. Are Manastones *that* useful? I've had a couple on various chars, druid and cleric notably. I didn't notice they were that overpowering...handy, of course, but not life changing. Same for guises - which as far as I can tell are completely useless apart from some faction stuff. Manastones are at least useful.

I know they stop dropping. Who cares?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My God, why. Are Manastones *that* useful? I've had a couple on various chars, druid and cleric notably. I didn't notice they were that overpowering...handy, of course, but not life changing. Same for guises - which as far as I can tell are completely useless apart from some faction stuff. Manastones are at least useful.

I know they stop dropping. Who cares?
This is like arguing over how you don't understand why other people like the taste of some random food, but you don't. You know that's asinine. Why would you try to argue about whether manastone camp is worth it or not?

Manastone is definitely "*that* useful" for clerics. Everyone else it's just convenient (like a sham who wants to canni down and afk but without spending the minute to do it instead of 8 seconds of stoning) or niche (like druids with clicky heal robe after kunark rolls around, or epic wizards, or chanters wanting to eat a berserker spirit that's going to expire).

Guises give large races a shrink without needing shrink/shrink pots. Plus ultravision. Those are not a trivial things. But yeah it's generally vanity and fashion quest I think.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-11-2019 at 09:14 AM..
Old 11-11-2019, 09:24 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.J. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think account sharing has ever been prohibited on P99, and don't particularly see a problem with it for the same duo opportunities lost when focusing on a manastone. The value of which is enough for you to assume there is no lost opportunity cost from such a setup, or that everyone that is doing as much is boxing or doing the equivalent of by helping a friend. I'm just not seeing the math work out on this complaint unless I presume a greater degree of "cheating" is going on.

From a human perspective I could see a /list cut off after 9 with a second list designed to randomly "reward" those on it a chance at joining a potentially 40 hour long camp. Which would be a cutoff those that design it probably wouldn't want to touch as they become like a blind bartender who is expected to keep track of who should be cut off for their "own" good - but more so for the bar owner and bar tenders potentially on the hook. We had a guy get the stone who said he felt it was bad for his health to stay up for over 30 hours, and I think leaving it up to players to keep at it - or not kill themselves - is probably the better stance.

But like some poster said above about grown adults doing 20 hour camps, they're grown adults. No one has to camp a manastone, those that do just want whats at the end of the rainbow.
It's really not a hard concept to understand, account sharing isn't against the rules but it's a dumb thing to do, characters get stripped by "friends" all the time.

When account sharing is an option at a camp like this it skews the difficulty of the camp, if there was no account sharing and everyone had to grind out their wait time the camp is fair, but when you add in account sharing, players who choose not to account share are at a severe disadvantage. Not only do account sharers have to spend less time individually at the camp, but they are able to cover a larger amount of time spent on the list. Two players who alternate 12 hour shifts can basically maintain a position on the list indefinitely, while a single player has an expiration date on the amount of time they can spend.

If Devs are fine with players account sharing to get manastones that's their choice I guess, but it doesn't seem to fit with the goal of the list system, and punishes players who make smart choices by not sharing account info with others.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Planar Protector

I guess GMs wont respond to this topic right?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:50 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endonde [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's really not a hard concept to understand, account sharing isn't against the rules but it's a dumb thing to do, characters get stripped by "friends" all the time.

If Devs are fine with players account sharing to get manastones that's their choice I guess, but it doesn't seem to fit with the goal of the list system, and punishes players who make smart choices by not sharing account info with others.
I could see a rule being made that account sharing for manastone against the rules specifically to avoid OWNERSHIP issues related to the stone, which the list is meant to prevent entirely. So while I disagree with your opinion on fairness for sharing accounts in every instance other than this one, I do agree that the ambiguity of sharing accounts to get an item messes with the design of the /list system's purpose - or at least my understanding of it.

Having said that, it might never be fair if sharing is allowed, at least for those that could do the full camp from a position outside the top 3 on the list, but some people due to their lives or prior commitments will never realistically be able to directly acquire a Manastone without sharing the load with friends who they've comfortably shared far more than EQ accounts with. I just don't see a fair fix for this unless people volunteer a second account for a lockout when sharing accounts or some such. And if the helper doesn't play at all and just takes over someones character for a few hours so they can recharge, what does that mean for the fairness debate?

Meh
Old 11-11-2019, 09:52 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipdog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh my, people crying about a long manastone camp already?

Oh boy. lol
You realise you can't go AFK in these camps, at all right?

More than a few mins risks a kick from the list and your rights to loot. Its all hard coded.

So for 50 hours you sit and click a random window on a random timer that pops on your screen, sometimes entering a code thats randomly generated... Your time away amounts to a short shit, prefrab/processed shit food or delivery, lack of any exercise or time away from PC, strain of any RL relaitonships (wife/gf/dog/kids) etc.

It is single handedly the most hardcore feature ever put on p1999. To qualify that statement I have previously:
Done no CSR VP and corpse camped people down multiple levels.
Tracked 5 day window dragons for 50+hrs at a time.
Done the loreseeker camp duo and trio for days at a time.
etc etc.

This is the singularly most draining activity ever forced upon the playerbase, if they're to contest with people who are sharing accounts. And if they're sharing accounts they have an extraordinary advantage. If I can go 50 hours straight doing this (and I can), they can do closer to 100hrs straight with a bit of sleep planning and it's minimal investment by the 2nd person. Even 6 or 8hours sleep extends your ability to poopsock a huge amount.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been at the manastone camp for 29 hours currently, and have been awake for a total of 37 or so hours.

I am #2 on the list which means ostensibly I need to continue clicking this check box every 5 to 15 mins for the next 10 to 20 hours straight.

This is beyond unhealthy but it is the only way to get one when the other guys just run a roster and sit in camp doing shifts. Its so blatantly obvious watching a toon LD, come back and cast entirely different spells and sit somewhere else for 6 hours+, then the original comes back etc.

I'm a bit afraid for my health but short of sharing accounts there's nothing that can be done except be at this camp for a minimum of 40 hours (MINIMUM) as the drop rate is so unclassic. Pretty soul destroying I gotta say.

Edit: Not knowing how the afk checks work is kinda shit too, the limits are not clearly defined. Running off for a shit, shower, prepare some fucking dogshit unhealthy meal praying this AFK check doesnt boot me from list is mega aids. Craving for the ability to just switch off for 30mins and enjoy a steak haha.
Dude...why? You're sacrificing your real life physical health for something so pointless. Especially considering the item doesn't work in Kunark or Velious; so unless you're a Cleric, or a Druid/Wizard who can port to old world then gate back to wherever you were in Kunark or Velious thereby reducing downtime, there's no really a significant use for the item. Adding onto that the fact that this is an emulated server of a 20 year old game, there's really no reason to be sacrificing physical health for anything in this game.
Closed Thread