Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 10:03 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Erudite Necro?

I know I SHOULD go Iksar as a necro, but if I don’t, how would you distribute starting points as an Erudite? I’m playing on Blue and will have decent gear to start.

Appreciate any input!
Old 02-24-2020, 10:28 PM
Planar Protector

I'm curious to hear others' answers. Here's one I'd like to put forward:

For an Erudite necro: 25 int, 5 str. Justifications:
• No stam because it gives you only 2hp per stamina point at level 60. Int, on the other hand, gives you 12 mana per point at level 60 (same for all int-casters, and for SKs and bards, as well).
• 25 int because this allows you to focus more on direct +HP gear. 5ac/55hp rings (or Djarn's Amethyst Ring for 80hp), embroidered black sleeves and cape, black sapphire jewelry, etc.
• 5 str because Erudites are weak and, while necros don't use strength for anything, being encumbered less is quite valuable.

There is an old and long thread where someone makes a case for Erudite versus Iksar necros. Partially, that's ddue to above points about the value of stamina versus int, and int gear versus hp gear. It's also to the idea that a necro often functions as a mana battery on raids, and if you have a higher hp and mana pool, you can dump more mana on the clerics. An Iksar necro could give them more mana over a longer period of time, but if a dragon dies in 60 seconds or less, iksar regen doesn't give you much.

Still - starting on Blue, I'd have to say, I would personally go Iksar. Even an Iksar will eventually max their int and be able to start shifting to hp gear. The regen is a great quality-of-life improvement.
Last edited by Videri; 02-24-2020 at 10:33 PM..
Old 02-25-2020, 08:20 AM
Aviak

Yeah, if you're starting on blue, go iksar. I'm an Erudite on green and I wish I had Regen so much.

That being said, if you go Erudite, put 5 points into agility because we start at 70 and you need 75 for full AC. You will get great with agi eventually, but it's nice to have when you're dead and then you also don't have to always worry about the 5 agi.
Hikoki - Wanderer of Kingdom
Old 02-25-2020, 08:32 AM
Planar Protector

You might as well just put the points in str frankly. You obviously don't care about an optimized character so might as well have a bigger bank account.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:52 PM
Fire Giant

I agree with the INT suggestion. I went STA per the min/max suggestions and since I'm too low to have earned remotely decent gear my mana pool is tiny and I have just a few extra HP to show for it (24 Iksar Necro on blue).
Old 02-26-2020, 08:10 PM
Planar Protector

5 agi and rest strength cos encumbrance sucks.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:31 PM
Skeleton

i went dark elf makes me wonder if Erudite is better if you had to choose for a classic race to start with ? Only thing i can say for a DE is the night time version?
Old 03-06-2020, 05:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakoz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i went dark elf makes me wonder if Erudite is better if you had to choose for a classic race to start with ? Only thing i can say for a DE is the night time version?
And racial Hide, but necros have FD anyway.

Also, I forgot about the 70 base agility. I think it’s worth considering 5 points in agi, or considering what +agi items you might use.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:16 PM
Planar Protector

Erudites have a pretty nice starting area, and you start with almost 120 int, no need to put points into that.

They also have some nice quests.

That being said I am a dark elf IRL so I rolled DE.
Closed Thread