Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 07:48 PM
Aviak

Default RED ELI 5

As the title suggests, can you explain the Red server pro/con situation like I'm 5?

My wife and I have been having a blast on Blue (albeit usually just us in a duo).

I know the basics: LnS, Bonus Exp, raid rules etc. But I'm curious, is PvP the main draw or just a fun mechanic that's enabled? I don't mind dying from time to time, but like most of us, I have a life to live and CR's aint exactly the joy of my life.

Of course if you ask RnF all you Red folks do is kill newbs and behave like savages. Likewise, if you ask about the blue server everyone sits on their hands and waits for pixels.

I know the RnF Blue sentiment is false, I assume the Red is too. But you all play here a lot and I wanted your opinions on the matter before we decide to jump in.

Side Question: If we were to duo, never having played PvP in EQ, what's a good duo to be left alone(ish). I'd like our first set of toons to get to 60 without being miserable. (so far, we both love Druids, but I doubt they're good PVP lol).

Marto - 60 Halfling Druid
Fratus - 40 Dwarven Paladin

--Red Server--

Smarrto - 60 Iksar Necro
Mardo - 60 Dwarven Cleric

Old 11-16-2020, 08:01 PM
Sarnak

Pick things that can feign death so that the fight is you vs them and not you vs them and mobs. Make the NPCs their problem. And one the guys with the highest body count was a druid - Haterade. There's a sweet spot in levels that he exploited pretty well.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:35 PM
Planar Protector

Dude I am sure you have good input in that post but if you haven’t seen the graphs as of late red is banging. There is this guy who almost has engaged in pvp also so fuck man now is the time.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:45 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassador [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dude I am sure you have good input in that post but if you haven’t seen the graphs as of late red is banging. There is this guy who almost has engaged in pvp also so fuck man now is the time.
It's quite obvious you hold ill will against Red, but please don't spoil this game for others with your lack of input and toxicity.

I'm sure you find your post humorous, but I've seen you in enough threads to know that you are not contributing to the conversation as a whole in just about anything you post.

If you feel the need the need to be disruptive, please use RnF, we have it for a reason.

I'm asking a legitimate question to the players on Red. I don't care that it has a low server pop or isn't SUPER active in raiding. I've been on P99 since 2011 and have ONE level 60 toon. Getting to end-game content isn't everything for everyone, and I am indeed not interested in the raid scene. I find it interesting that not only do guilds/groups have to kill mobs, but also have to deal with other players. That dynamic makes me curious if this is better than blue (for me anywho).

That being said, you have obviously been around a long time and if you have real and valid input, I would indeed appreciate it. For now, your toxicity on this server as a whole is a bit off-putting and very misplaced in this thread.

--Red Server--

Smarrto - 60 Iksar Necro

Last edited by Hannibal; 11-16-2020 at 08:48 PM..
Old 11-16-2020, 10:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrekt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pick things that can feign death so that the fight is you vs them and not you vs them and mobs. Make the NPCs their problem. And one the guys with the highest body count was a druid - Haterade. There's a sweet spot in levels that he exploited pretty well.
Way better druids then Hateraid, who just stayed at level 55 to avoid level 60s. Tamtam, Bokke and so on were all good druids
Old 11-16-2020, 10:39 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As the title suggests, can you explain the Red server pro/con situation like I'm 5?

My wife and I have been having a blast on Blue (albeit usually just us in a duo).

I know the basics: LnS, Bonus Exp, raid rules etc. But I'm curious, is PvP the main draw or just a fun mechanic that's enabled? I don't mind dying from time to time, but like most of us, I have a life to live and CR's aint exactly the joy of my life.

Of course if you ask RnF all you Red folks do is kill newbs and behave like savages. Likewise, if you ask about the blue server everyone sits on their hands and waits for pixels.

I know the RnF Blue sentiment is false, I assume the Red is too. But you all play here a lot and I wanted your opinions on the matter before we decide to jump in.

Side Question: If we were to duo, never having played PvP in EQ, what's a good duo to be left alone(ish). I'd like our first set of toons to get to 60 without being miserable. (so far, we both love Druids, but I doubt they're good PVP lol).

PRO:
  • Exp Bonus - increases with more group members. Great for making alts and trying different classes.
  • No lines & no waiting for 20 year old pixels - you will have any dungeon all to yourself.
  • Despite being an old server, the above Pro actually gives Red a fresh feel. Most mobs you are killing probably haven't been killed in weeks or months.
  • Global OOC - chat with the server or sell your wares from anywhere. No need to sit around a boring tunnel.
  • You will actually experience very little PVP until end game. This is because leveling groups actually want you to fill that exp bonus spot as well as there being so few players. This can be a PRO or CON depending on why you are here.
  • No need to play politics and squabble about mobs or lawyering over the server rules...if someone pisses you off... kill them, pure and simple like.

CON:
  • Very low population - not bad at all though if you plan on soloing / duoing.
  • Very little PVP until end game. This is a con if you are actually looking to kill people.
  • Very few people to actually sell your wares to.

You will be killed from time to time, but that should come as no surprise. This server has kiddie rules as far as penalty goes though. You will walk away with a little less coin (whatever you were carrying) and perhaps wounded pride.

As far as classes...I'm very partial to casters / priests. Anything with high amounts of utility. You'll want to be as self-reliant as possible on this server. Being able to port yourself is a huge bonus, so a druid is a good choice (also good in PVP). I would consider a pet class for the second choice to enhance your farming capabilities and dungeon crawling experience.

Elendil's Giveaway
Last edited by Old_PVP; 11-16-2020 at 11:08 PM..
Old 11-16-2020, 11:47 PM
Aviak

Thank you! Your list of cons are the things I don't really enjoy (PvP, Merching, etc). Once we get our blue toons up a bit, I think we'll try out the flow of Red.

--Red Server--

Smarrto - 60 Iksar Necro

Old 11-17-2020, 12:18 AM
Planar Protector

Woah wall of text dude. I’d totally play red with the 66 players but seeing how I played with those guys 5 years ago for 5 years and the server has absolutely no new content that isn’t explored in minutes, going to have to leave it to you to jump on this game. I will channel my spirit through you. Use your box (I mean wife) to destroy anyone in rags while befriending the rich only to take their shit if you’re ever given a login. Most of these guys give it pretty quick seeing how befriending a third of the server takes a week tops.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:25 AM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-17-2020, 12:28 AM
Planar Protector

Smallme the Druid was a real terror.

It depends on who you run in to really for the PvP, some are relentless others will just gank and go. I haven’t played in years so I don’t have any idea what it’s like currently but when I did play I was a wizard specifically to port and hunt people. So the pure pvpers might still be out there. But it’s probably not that bad right now, it never really was, you could easily duo somewhere off the beaten path and basically only PvP at your discretion.

Go for it. Red can be exciting and challenging. The PvP element adds a whole new level to the games immersion factor imo. Good luck
Closed Thread