Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:58 AM
Sarnak

Default Isn't there a better way to distribute raid loot? If not which is most fair?

It currently seems like the raid loot systems in place all favor a small circle of members.

DKP favors those who have the ability to be on all the time, anytime, to accumulate points and repeatedly win gear.

Attendance works pretty much the same way but can also be skewed on the whim of the leader.

Loot council can become a problem if certain members become favored over others, in which case they receive loot while other members raid basically for nothing.

I understand every leader has their own inside crew that gets loot priority as well as epic help priority. The problem is that alot of people can't make all the raids due to life obligations, but we still do make a good amount of them and hope for gear upgrades. As an example, I've received one pair of planar gloves in over a month of raiding in which I made 4/5 raids (before the raid tines were changed to a time I basically almost never am able to make). I've had people with equal attendance of the same class receive multiple items in a row while I was given something that was rotting.

What's the best system to resolve this? As it stands I'm going to end up level 60 with one planar piece, old world gear, and under 10k in the bank easily especially with some high end spell purchases.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

www.takenguild.com

our DKP system has been going strong now for 2 years
Old 03-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor84 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It currently seems like the raid loot systems in place all favor a small circle of members.

DKP favors those who have the ability to be on all the time, anytime, to accumulate points and repeatedly win gear.

Attendance works pretty much the same way but can also be skewed on the whim of the leader.

Loot council can become a problem if certain members become favored over others, in which case they receive loot while other members raid basically for nothing.

I understand every leader has their own inside crew that gets loot priority as well as epic help priority. The problem is that alot of people can't make all the raids due to life obligations, but we still do make a good amount of them and hope for gear upgrades. As an example, I've received one pair of planar gloves in over a month of raiding in which I made 4/5 raids (before the raid tines were changed to a time I basically almost never am able to make). I've had people with equal attendance of the same class receive multiple items in a row while I was given something that was rotting.

What's the best system to resolve this? As it stands I'm going to end up level 60 with one planar piece, old world gear, and under 10k in the bank easily especially with some high end spell purchases.
Play solo... run pugs, declare your loot policy up front.

That's the only loot distro your gonna see that's "fair" and gets you your desired goal.

Krey
Old 03-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor84 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What's the best system to resolve this?
Pretending you're a chick and cybering your guild leader.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 03-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreylyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Play solo... run pugs, declare your loot policy up front.

That's the only loot distro your gonna see that's "fair" and gets you your desired goal.

Krey
I suppose that's an option, it seems like it'd be hard to run a raid with a pug though...
Old 03-14-2015, 11:28 AM
Kobold

Quote:
I suppose that's an option, it seems like it'd be hard to run a raid with a pug though...
Yes, it's hard to run a raid. This is why the loot systems you don't like are used. It's fairest in general for everyone based upon the group's goals.

Unfortunately, your goals do not match that of the groups in the timeline you prefer.

So... make it happen. ;p

Krey
Old 03-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Aviak

I have been on many sides of this fence in the years I have been playing mass multiplayer games. Generally it is a good idea to think of the guild as a whole before you think of any individual member and make decisions based on what the guild needs to be successful.
The guild over time accumulates a stockpile of loot and eventually begins gearing alts and non raiding members of the guild. If you are online and playing during the vast majority of these raids then you will by default generally gear your character out simply from no one else being able to use the gear or already having better.

Lets use the gear from plane of hate for instance. You run into Hate once every week or two for a solid year and do nothing but clear trash. Months in you already have most of the members that can obtain usable gear from Hate geared to the tits. You continue to show up and pieces continue to drop so you eventually gear up because no one is there to obtain the loot anyhow with the exception of alts. This is where the member takes priority and gains the drops he needs if he is a casual raider and still has slots to fill.

DKP being passed down from main to their alt and things of this nature can absolutely hinder a casual raiding member of a guild from progressing very fast though. I quit participating in DKP many years ago.

This has just been my experience. I play the game to have a good time and to enjoy the game and people that I play with. The gear is a bi-product of that.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

DKP work the best. You put forth the most time to helping the guild advance you get more chances to buy loot. Seems simple enough to me.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:57 AM
Planar Protector

When Thott made the DKP system, it was to eliminate guild bullshit, and to basically cut off at the root the Heather system which previously was the norm in most guild. I was in <Heathers> back in 99-2000, so I can give you the way that worked.

The Heather system is, Heather runs the guild, and Heather, Heather, and Heather are officers. Heather, Heather, Heather, Heather, and that other shaman, what's her name... or right, Heather, are loot officers. Heather, Heather, Heather, heather, Heather, Heather, Heather, Heather, Heather, and Heather were senior members. These people formed the "Council of Heathers." Using basic common sense, and totally mainly being interested in fairness but also sometimes you have to think about other stuff too, Heathers decided who got what. Usually, loot went to another Heather, duh.

The dkp protocols for this 16 year old elf simulator are well established. DKP eliminates the Heather system. Guilds who tell you they have a "better" system than dkp are trying to fuck a stranger in the ass.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

I know I encouraged you to make this thread and all, but you sound super paranoid about inner circles. Loot distribution in IB (sorry Rampage) and TMO, although loot council, goes to who deserves it and put in time. We both have extensive systems to track contribution and the council uses that to make an informed decision on who deserves it. Yes, it's subjective. Yes, it has it's down sides. Yes, you're being overly worried about not getting pixels and that screams loot whore to me which could turn into an amusingly ironic self fulfilling prophecy.

tl;dr: Guilds that lack fair loot practices will get a bad reputation for doing so and be mercilessly ridiculed for it.
Closed Thread