Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 01:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sereal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The failure of new MMO's has been that they make it all about end game and everyone gets to see ALL the content with little effort. The 1-max is just busy work solo play and thus they make it fast to hit max because it's boring. So other than the 1-4 week grind the entire time playing is end game. No raid competition means you always get your chance at a target, if you fail well you just try again.

EQ worked because the 'fun' stuff isn't just the end game content. In fact many prefer the levelling up part.
Exactly. What's the point in having levels if they don't mean anything. Might as well start out at max level and just have raid content if the end game is all that matters.

I've never raided myself. And, after reading about the raid seen in the forums, I'm not sure I even want to raid. My highest character on live was mid 20's, due to little time and being an altiholic. Even on P99, my highest character just made lvl 51 two weeks ago.

There are still many areas I haven't experienced and may never experience like it would have been on live, because even on P99, the race to the top exists by twinks, as well as just having so much knowledge now that wasn't there in the beginning. Twinked soloists, duos or trios can take on content that used to be difficult even with a full group. What was several camps on live, are now combined to a few camps, or one camp. Also, there are the high level farmers. I for one, would love to go with a level appropriate group and actually get experience from the jailmaster camp in Permofrost.

If I had the knowhow to make a server myself, I would make one that is classic like, but make it more difficult for the twinks, like maybe having a decay factor on items, such that the lower the level you are from the mobs or quests the items come from, the faster the item decays (i.e. the stats get worse) until the item eventually vanishes. If you are at the appropriate level or higher, there would be no decay. Well, that's just one idea.

Another issue, which is related to the twink issue, is the obsolescence of older content by newer content. Maybe having newer items not usable, or not as usable, on older mobs. Not sure how that would work. But, something needs to be done to address this issue.

Hopefully Pantheon can address these issues.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:53 PM
Sarnak

Pantheon will never release. If it does, it'll die off as soon as Brad snorts all the companies money away, and when the staff tries to throw him an intervention, he murders them all then kills himself.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:37 PM
Planar Protector

Pity reply.
I suggest you get a new annoying brad-meme to drop into game discussions with. That one is so old, and is so overused, it just means you aren't even trying any more. If I am going to have any chance to get annoyed by someone, they should at least put some effort into it.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:00 PM
Banned

DAE brad does drugs? lmao witty banter hahaha
Old 06-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldwin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Exactly. What's the point in having levels if they don't mean anything. Might as well start out at max level and just have raid content if the end game is all that matters.
You have to put a little filler in there, like taco bell. But yeah it would make it much better for stream culture so they can finish in a few days tops then be on to the next gayme they are trying to market push.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:38 PM
Sarnak

I think people often confuse successful long running MMOs with early stage MMOs.

I have heard the argument around meaningless levels directed at WoW repeatedly. Yes, in the Legion expansion you are able to reach level 110 and you can buy character boosts taking you directly to 100. Yes, the content in legion is entirely designed for the 100-110 leveling experience and from there everything is end game raid focused.

However, is that really a problem? The game is 14 years old. The playerbase, is focused around the raid scene.

Would you really want to buy a 14 year old game and have to spend months leveling in abandoned zones because the majority of people are max level?

The fun of these emulators like p99, nostalrious, etc is that they restrict the game back down to the "original" experience which is naturally heavily focused around leveling and introductory raids. Any new MMO is going to be similar to that experience since the new game hasn't been around long enough to experience the natural inflation of gear/stats/levels that occurs over time.

The big thing I want to see with a new MMO is the EQ like leveling from the perspective of grouping.

I jumped on nostalrius for WoW after playing p99 and in the back of my head I kept telling myself, "Oh I am going to level so fast, leveling in WoW was SOO much easier than EQ."

In reality - it wasn't really faster or easier. It was significantly more boring since it is all solo leveling doing quests you have already done before in zones you have already been through before. In EQ that same experience is enjoyable because even if you have leveled in unrest a million times, you meet and interact with new people each time.

I actually burned out on the WoW emulator in about 2 weeks because it was so incredibly boring blasting through the same horde side quest line I had done multiple times on live.
Last edited by xCry0x; 06-25-2018 at 01:48 PM..
Old 06-25-2018, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Massively Online Game (MOG) vs. Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.. til they stripped that as well in favor of streamline.

Nighttime darkness? pfft that gets in the way of my min/max leveling. Don't make me write a really angry petition. Who cares about charm and mystery, losers! I just want my pixels so I can RMT to afford better Ramens.

Oh and that sweet lifelike sex doll that looks like an anime character.. oh yeah! come to daddee
Old 06-25-2018, 02:50 PM
Fire Giant

The only thing that will cause a p99 collapse in the next ~5 years would be the devs shutting it down by force or choice. It will not die by natural causes.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Fire Giant

Remember when Ag'narr was going to kill p99 lol?
Old 06-25-2018, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

I remember, I remember the posters taunting about it so bold and cocky.

Think they have moved on to another server again.