Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:49 PM
Orc

Default When you're healing

Don't put up with people complaining about not getting a buff when the first time they asked they were out of range.

Don't put up with someone complaining about not getting a heal when they are not pulling in range of the heal.

Don't get bullied. If you're worried about getting kicked from groups if you defend yourself, understand that you are going to run into people with some internal issues and it's not the end of the world.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

I think the basic idea of having thick skin and not letting someone else ruin your fun is an excellent one. However, I also think you'll catch more bees with honey than with vinegar, ie. you'll be more successful dealing with everyone you meet on P99 if you assume the best about them rather than the worst.

That person who was out of range of the buff/heal? They probably didn't mean to be out of range, and it's likely they didn't even know that they were. Heck, non-casters may not even think about the fact that casters have a spell range, because it's not something they've ever experienced.

So, I'm not saying you should let anyone be rude to you, but if you respond with "sorry, I couldn't buff/heal you because you were out of range; please try to stay close when you expect a buff/heal" you'll get kicked from groups for defending yourself a lot less than if you respond with "screw you! I'm doing my job just fine, you're the screw-up" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-23-2017 at 07:27 PM..
Old 05-23-2017, 07:32 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the basic idea of having thick skin and not letting someone else ruin your fun is an excellent one. However, I also think you'll catch more bees with honey than with vinegar, ie. you'll be more successful dealing with everyone you meet on P99 if you assume the best about them rather than the worst.

That person who was out of range of the buff/heal? They probably didn't mean to be out of range, and it's likely they didn't even know that they were. Heck, non-casters may not even think about the fact that casters have a spell range, because it's not something they've ever experienced.

So, I'm not saying you should let anyone be rude to you, but if you respond with "sorry, I couldn't buff/heal you because you were out of range; please try to stay close when you expect a buff/heal" instead of "screw you I'm doing my job just fine, you're the screw-up" you'll get kicked from groups for defending yourself a lot less [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The ladder comment is something I don't concern myself with. I give my reasoning and if the flame continues then I just say you won't get it if you continue being aggressive towards me. It's a legitimate situation and not everyone has the capacity to calm down. Thank you for the generalization though. I can tell you've had a couple situations that didn't go your way.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfenger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you for the generalization though. I can tell you've had a couple situations that didn't go your way.
Heh, this server attracts some interesting folks from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfenger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The ladder comment is something I don't concern myself with. I give my reasoning and if the flame continues then I just say you won't get it if you continue being aggressive towards me. It's a legitimate situation and not everyone has the capacity to calm down.
If someone continues to be a dick then absolutely, stop grouping with them, tell them to fuck off, or whatever.

All I'm saying is that, as long as you're dealing with someone who there's still hope for, and as long as you want to prioritize getting the response you want, then you should de-prioritize getting to respond the way you want. If you respond in a way that's the opposite of how their behavior is making you want to respond it will result in better outcomes for you (like more XP because your group stays together longer), even if it hurts to be nice to someone who's not being nice to you.

But then of course there are other things to care about besides just keeping your group together.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-23-2017 at 08:49 PM..
Old 05-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Don't put up with people complaining about not getting a buff when the first time they asked they were out of range.

Don't put up with someone complaining about not getting a heal when they are not pulling in range of the heal.

Don't get bullied. If you're worried about getting kicked from groups if you defend yourself, understand that you are going to run into people with some internal issues and it's not the end of the world.
I didn't know it was hard to wait for someone to be in a range and then buff them. Is that too much to expect from you almighty healer?

Pullers often have to fetch mobs from places much further than heal range, so if this is the case they should not expect a heal?

Healers aren't the only ones bullied...

Your advice to healers while perhaps well intentioned comes off poorly and sounds very self-entitled.

On a side note, I have never seen a healer bullied, in fact usually healers are granted more patience than other classes.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:44 AM
Planar Protector

As a shaman in the low to mid 50s the hardest groups were always when I found myself as the only priest in the absence of an enchanter to both handle the haste and assist with crowd control. Holding down all the healing, slowing, and buffs for a full group was hell.

Just state expectations up front and let them know your priorities. For me those priorities were in the following order:
-cheap (not Turgurs) slow on every mob
-emergency heal
-chloro/regrowth on ever person taking damage (most efficient heal)
-standard top off heal
-sow to puller
-haste to melee
-str to melee
-everything else, and only if mana was sustainable

If the group had a problem with that, I'd give them a quick math lesson and explain how they can't expect a solo shaman to maintain chain pulls and do half the jobs in the group. Slows come before heals, heals come before buffs, and non-critical buffs should not be expected.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 05-24-2017, 02:56 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't know it was hard to wait for someone to be in a range and then buff them. Is that too much to expect from you almighty healer?

Pullers often have to fetch mobs from places much further than heal range, so if this is the case they should not expect a heal?

Healers aren't the only ones bullied...

Your advice to healers while perhaps well intentioned comes off poorly and sounds very self-entitled.

On a side note, I have never seen a healer bullied, in fact usually healers are granted more patience than other classes.
1. It's not hard to wait for them. I didn't say that at all. In fact you made up that statement from nothing.

2. In my situation, pulling for example with 70% health and then fighting it across the yard and then complains about why they aren't getting heals while I'm mashing the heal button and trying to get in range of them is not a kind thing to do at all.

3. My post wasn't intended to flame. It was intended for healers to have some self-respect and not bend to the will of abuse.

The only point I'm getting from your posts is "How dare you suggest that people stand up to me?"

The other suggestion I'm receiving is that people would get it after a quick math lesson. It's not a totally unachievable concept to understand why people would think that would work every time. I get it. But what if I don't feel like it? That's reasonable too.

If you want me to accept your opinions, they need to be absent of lies, generalizations, and assumptions based on prejudice.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:57 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a shaman in the low to mid 50s the hardest groups were always when I found myself as the only priest in the absence of an enchanter to both handle the haste and assist with crowd control. Holding down all the healing, slowing, and buffs for a full group was hell.

Just state expectations up front and let them know your priorities. For me those priorities were in the following order:
-cheap (not Turgurs) slow on every mob
-emergency heal
-chloro/regrowth on ever person taking damage (most efficient heal)
-standard top off heal
-sow to puller
-haste to melee
-str to melee
-everything else, and only if mana was sustainable

If the group had a problem with that, I'd give them a quick math lesson and explain how they can't expect a solo shaman to maintain chain pulls and do half the jobs in the group. Slows come before heals, heals come before buffs, and non-critical buffs should not be expected.
Thank you for your post. It was well thought out and I would honestly choose it over my own.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:00 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Heh, this server attracts some interesting folks from time to time.

If someone continues to be a dick then absolutely, stop grouping with them, tell them to fuck off, or whatever.

All I'm saying is that, as long as you're dealing with someone who there's still hope for, and as long as you want to prioritize getting the response you want, then you should de-prioritize getting to respond the way you want. If you respond in a way that's the opposite of how their behavior is making you want to respond it will result in better outcomes for you (like more XP because your group stays together longer), even if it hurts to be nice to someone who's not being nice to you.

But then of course there are other things to care about besides just keeping your group together.
I think you like to tell yourself you're a good person, but it's really not true at all. I reject your post and your attempt at "agreeing with me" for the sake of me agreeing with you.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:09 AM
Planar Protector

I think it is important to remember that when a puller suggests they need a buff, they might not expect it immediately. There is such a thing as letting you know in advance!

When I need to buff a puller, I will wait until I can guarantee they are in camp for a while (e.g. the camp is full of CCd mobs so they don't need to grab more).

From their perspective: one of the worst things you can do to a puller is land a buff or heal on them while they are out of camp and get aggro on a mis-pull they are trying to manage and you end up bringing it all into the camp at once (this is especially bad if you are the only healer or cc)!

Just as buffers are under pressure to keep up their job, so are pullers. Many groups will expect there to be at least one mob in the camp at all time (because the melee/pet dps are also under pressure to keep up their job).

I mean, really it is about efficiency, team work and communication. Not really about bullying and finger pointing, even if it may feel like that under pressure.

The other thing is, if they ask for a heal and then run off without it, you have to make the assumption that they made the judgement call that they will be okay for this pull without a heal. In the majority of situations, I strongly advise against leaving the camp to heal a puller as it is much easier to recover a dead puller than the cleric or even an entire group.

If they asked for a heal a while ago and still haven't got one, well then I guess they got impatient, which is understandable as we are all human.
Last edited by Jimjam; 05-24-2017 at 03:18 AM..
Closed Thread