Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 12:11 AM
Skeleton

Default High level newbie, in need of orientation

Hey everyone,

The quick version of my story is that I discovered p99 about 6 months ago, binged hard for a couple months, then decided to take a break because I was putting in too much time. I want to start playing again, but I'm not sure where to start.

My current situation: I have a 49 enchanter and I did enough plat grinding to have fairly decent gear, including a goblin ring and journeyman boots. I spent 99% of my time in a small number of areas where I was grinding, so I didn't experience much of the world. Apart from some time in High Keep, where I met some very cool people - I was mostly playing solo, and on top of that my friends list is empty due to replacing my computer during my break from p99. I was having a lot of fun leveling up my enchanter and conquering the content that I could never get a handle on when I originally played this game as a kid, and I want to get back into it - but I have no idea what to do or where to go.

Any advice on where a 49 enchanter can go to play solo, good areas to look for groups, potential guilds to consider joining, etc. is advice that I would appreciate. When I originally played the game the level cap was 50 (but I never had a character above 30), and on my current character I basically did nothing but kill spectres starting in the 30s - so all of the content that is level appropriate is the complete unknown to me.

Thanks in advance for any guidance that y'all have to offer.

- Tordane, 49 high elf enchanter
Old 02-12-2019, 12:20 AM
Planar Protector

(inb4 loramin)

CoM is the go-to zone for levelling at that point but its pretty saturated.

BW giants, hole entrance, maybe seafuries
Old 02-12-2019, 01:26 AM
Sarnak

49 is about when people like to leave CoM. At 49 I would go to Dreadlands. Head to KC but stay outside in Dreadlands for a level or two. There are always a handful of players on the North, East and South walls to group or duo with. Plus soloing there should be a breeze as a lot of good pets to be found. Best part is if you die you can always go into KC and see if a cleric is sitting at the entrance LFG who can zone out and rez you.

You could breeze to 52 outside KC if you wanted to. Then head into KC and put up the LFG tag. Chanters are a very welcomed class as all groups want a CC player in the group. You could also pair up with a cleric and go duo for awesome XP. You grab a pet and cleric buffs you both and CH's the pet. I did this twice with a chanter and it was better XP then full groups.

Guilds. I would say Kittens Who Say Meow would be a good one. Very large guild with a lot of friendly folks. They raid but are very casual. Every applicant is accepted as there is no min level or gear requirements.

Good luck.
Gavallin Wood Elf Ranger lvl 23 (blue)
Jardahni Human Monk lvl 2 (green)
Old 02-12-2019, 03:49 AM
Sarnak

Hey man!

Id say The Hole or SolB

Make sure you got that Charasis key. I'd be in there as soon as you hit 51

Gabronth
15 Human Paladin
Old 02-12-2019, 11:58 AM
Sarnak

Chardok revamp is a great place 50+ as well
Old 02-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Banned

For solo / small group:

Lower Guk ---> Howling Stones

I did KC on my enchanter leveling up but honestly that zone is filled with slackers. You'll get much better XP elsewhere.

Just make friends with clerics. Duo the world.

At 55+ hit Sebilis if you want full-sized group experience.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(inb4 loramin)
lol
Old 02-12-2019, 06:03 PM
Sarnak

The Hole is amazing exp! However, if you plan to continue to solo a lot (and want your epic), you may want to avoid killing ANYTHING in the Hole atm.

If you use an elemental illusion and collaboration, you will be dubious to most of the mobs in the Hole. (You will still be KoS to the rats, iirc). This will allow you to basically walk through most of the zone, up to the Ghost of Kindle, cast your level 55 pet (once you get it), buff it up, and easily solo Kindle for your epic piece. If you destroy your faction, like I did, you're going to have to get a group of 50+ to go down there, clear the area, and help you kill her.

Just my 2 cp...
Old 02-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Skeleton

Thanks for all of your responses.

I finally got my UI reset, worked through a couple of issues to get the game working and decently optimized, and hung around familiar areas for a bit to work the rust off.

I checked out SolB - and while it had that intense, claustrophobic feeling that makes PvE fun and challenging - I quickly realized that I was going to train someone to death if I kept trying to solo explore the area. So I moved on.

I headed out to Kunark and explored several areas I had never seen before, eventually making my way to the Dreadlands. Kaluppo's comment about 'breezing to 52' outside the castle appears to be spot on. After working out some kinks (i.e. learning to dodge the spiderwizards) I was halfway through 49 in what seemed like no time.

Getting the Charasis key seems like a fun side task, so that's on my agenda as well.

Also - special thanks to Snyder43 for alerting me to the potential pitfall of hunting the Hole. I've been working hard to keep important factions unpeeved, so I especially appreciate that tip.

RL obligations will keep me away from P99 for the next several days, but I'm looking forward to getting back into it ASAP. Much appreciation to everyone who responded here! Your tips were very helpful with my getting back into it.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:12 PM
Planar Protector

On the flip side for the hole, if you solo in there it will put you on the highway to max level which means you still get epic much faster than waiting for 55 and soloing it.
Closed Thread