Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Guild Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Planar Protector

Default <Spear of the Nation>: mature, bluebie-friendly, anti-griefing guild recruiting

edit: we have a new guild website! See the bottom of this post for the link.

In 1961 the African National Congress (ANC) formed its armed wing called "Umkhonto we Sizwe" (translated in English as "Spear of the Nation"), to fight the Apartheid government. During the Rivonia trial in 1964, Nelson Mandela explained his reasons for having to resort to violence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Mandela
Firstly, we believed that as a result of Government policy, violence by the African people had become inevitable, and that unless responsible leadership was given to canalize and control the feelings of our people, there would be outbreaks of terrorism which would produce an intensity of bitterness and hostility between the various races of this country which is not produced even by war. Secondly, we felt that without violence there would be no way open to the African people to succeed in their struggle against the principle of white supremacy. All lawful modes of expressing opposition to this principle had been closed by legislation, and we were placed in a position in which we had either to accept a permanent state of inferiority, or to defy the Government. We chose to defy the law. We first broke the law in a way which avoided any recourse to violence; when this form was legislated against, and then the Government resorted to a show of force to crush opposition to its policies, only then did we decide to answer violence with violence.
Like Nelson Mandela, we anti-PKers feel that violence is a necessary evil to deter griefing. Unlike the griefers, we will only use violence to defend ourselves, and to help defenseless newbs who are being griefed. We will not intervene in others' camp disputes or disputes over raid mobs, but if we have knowledge of you corpse camping, bind camping, killing players on corpse runs, et cetera, expect us to unleash the full fury of our guild upon you.

Additionally, Spear of the Nation strives to be a "mature" guild. Trash talking is still okay, but discriminating against players on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any other analogous characteristic is a big no-no. Even though this is a PvP server and players are expected to have thick skin, we still want everyone to have a place where they can feel comfortable.

We will be forming around the Qeynos area but we have no problems inviting people later on from different areas. Also, since we don't want to discourage other anti-PK guilds from being formed, we are open to the idea of merging with other guilds that share a similar philosophy. Players who are unguilded but have no interest in joining are still encouraged to send our members tells asking for help or reporting any acts of griefing they witness.

Lastly, no one is "KOS" to our guild at first, since we believe everyone should be given a chance to reform themselves. However, anyone foolish enough to use griefing as a tactic after the server goes live will face the consequences:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"Let this fool's meaningless death be a reminder to you all that the power of Order is absolute!"

If you have any questions, post here, or send me a private message.

Sources:

Wikipedia article on Spear of the Nation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umkhonto_we_Sizwe

Interview with Nelson Mandela in 1961: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPofm50MHW8

Guild website: http://spearofthenation.guildlaunch.com/
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Last edited by Lazortag; 11-20-2011 at 01:03 AM..
Old 11-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

Consider this my application :P
Old 11-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Sarnak

Here to combat griefing!

Just registered on site.
Last edited by Bazooka; 11-06-2011 at 05:32 AM..
Old 11-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Fire Giant

Ahh good stuff. Mature? anti-grief?

This is a spear I can get behind.

Consider this my app too [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Aviak

Well Consider This My Application as well.I Will Be Going Barbarian Shaman so a trip to qeynos is not too far out of the way see you guys on launch day.

___
Mooshoo
Old 11-06-2011, 01:22 AM
Planar Protector

Here's the new guildportal website:

http://spearofthenation.guildlaunch.com/

Please tell me if there are any issues with the site. At some point in time I'll probably appoint a member to manage site-related things since I'm a very busy person. For now, the only requirement to app and get accepted is that you renounce griefing (keep in mind it might take a bit of time for me to approve your application since I'm not constantly checking the site).

edit: also Softcore since you're starting in Akanon I can use my Bard speed to run over and invite you on a day that I'm not busy. Expect to be lonely and guildless for your first few levels though
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Last edited by Lazortag; 11-20-2011 at 01:04 AM..
Old 11-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
edit: also Softcore since you're starting in Akanon I can use my Bard speed to run over and invite you on a day that I'm not busy. Expect to be lonely and guildless for your first few levels though
I'm ok with this. Surely I'll get along with my fellow gnomes! XD
Old 11-06-2011, 03:13 AM
Planar Protector

glad to see this!

cmi - off to the site to reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:11 AM
Fire Giant

i like this
Old 11-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Banned

I'm about to go all apartheid on your ass and throw you on Robben Island for 20 years.
Closed Thread