Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 12:44 PM
Fire Giant

Default Malta Scuba Diving

Just got back from a scuba diving trip to Malta. I'm a dork who likes to bring a gopro, and I made this video. If you're looking to kill 10 minutes at work and are into diving, it was a pretty cool trip. Shipwrecks for days, some caves, and even a sunken statue of the man Jesus Christ himself.

https://vimeo.com/343471428

- Brocean the bard
Old 06-20-2019, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

That was super awesome, Thank you for sharing! Kinda inspires me to look into diving as a hobby... Scoping out shipwrecks actually looks incredibly fun and interesting!

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 06-20-2019, 01:42 PM
Banned

Awesome video dude!! very well done!!! Scuba diving is for sure on the'ol bucket list!
Old 06-20-2019, 01:46 PM
Planar Protector

Very cool! You have to have a special license to do dive around sunken ships?

This picture was awesome:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, so was this one:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-20-2019, 04:17 PM
Planar Protector

‘I do it to make a profit.’

‘But how can you make a profit? You lose two cents an egg.’

‘But I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don’t make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.’

Yossarian felt he was beginning to understand. ‘And the people you sell the eggs to at four and a quarter cents apiece make a profit of two and three quarter cents apiece when they sell them back to you at seven cents apiece. Is that right? Why don’t you sell the eggs directly to you and eliminate the people you buy them from?’

‘Because I’m the people I buy them from,’ Milo explained. ‘I make a profit of three and a quarter cents apiece when I sell them to me and a profit of two and three quarter cents apiece when I buy them back from me. That’s a total profit of six cents an egg. I lose only two cents an egg when I sell them to the mess halls at five cents apiece, and that’s how I can make a profit buying eggs for seven cents apiece and selling them for five cents apiece. I pay only one cent apiece at the hen when I buy them in Sicily.’

‘In Malta,’ Yossarian corrected. ‘You buy your eggs in Malta, not Sicily.’

Milo chortled proudly. ‘I don’t buy eggs in Malta,’ he confessed… ‘I buy them in Sicily for one cent apiece and transfer them to Malta secretly at four and a half cents apiece in order to get the price of eggs up to seven cents apiece when people come to Malta looking for them.’

‘Why do people come to Malta for eggs when they’re so expensive there?’

‘Because they’ve always done it that way.’

‘Why don’t they look for eggs in Sicily?’

‘Because they’ve never done it that way.’

‘Now I really don’t understand. Why don’t you sell your mess halls the eggs for seven cents apiece instead of for five cents apiece?’

‘Because my mess halls would have no need for me then. Anyone can buy seven-cents-apiece eggs for seven cents apiece.’

‘Why don’t they bypass you and buy the eggs directly from you in Malta at four and a quarter cents apiece?’

‘Because I wouldn’t sell it to them.’

‘Why wouldn’t you sell it to them?’

‘Because then there wouldn’t be as much room for profit. At least this way I can make a bit for myself as a middleman.’

‘Then you do make a profit for yourself,’ Yossarian declared.

‘Of course I do. But it all goes to the syndicate. And everybody has a share…’
Last edited by Cecily; 06-20-2019 at 04:21 PM..
Old 06-20-2019, 08:37 PM
Fire Giant

Yay books!

If you want to try diving i'd highly recommend it. I put off getting certified for a long time, and am glad i eventually did it. What's the Warren Miller quote? "if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do."

To do these wrecks you need an advanced open water certification, basically level 2, due to their depths. With the normal open water cert, level 1, you're allowed to go to something like 18 meters max. Deepest i've gone so far is 44 meters, or about 144 ft, which is pretty crazy if you think about it.

There are specific certification courses for wreck and cave diving, but that's more for getting into real shit. These were purposely prepared and sunk for diving, and all the swim throughs we did were in view of exits.

It's been a great hobby though. Not the cheapest one around, but very worthwhile.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:15 PM
Planar Protector

Oh, that’s a good quote! Thanks for sharing your terrifying hobby. It looks fun but yeah...
Old 06-21-2019, 05:48 AM
Fire Giant

That is definitely a good quote. I had to read it a few times to be like wtf.

I've never read Catch 22, but upon googling it, it turns out George Clooney just made a movie adaptation of it that comes out this week. Maybe i'll just watch that and pretend I'm cultured.

I read Stardust by Neil Gaiman on this trip. It was aight. And upon googling it looks like they made of movie of it too!
Old 06-21-2019, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

That’s basically the meanest thing you could have told me. I just watched a trailer showing that soulless husk surrounded by explosions. It’s gonna be so awful lol.

Catch-22 (1970) Starring Alan Arkin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unn8fgs8fao

This was a really good movie adaptation. 70/100 movie for an 80/100 book. Basically a 90% movie, given that not everyone enjoys a 300-page running joke. But for me, Catch-22 along with Monty Python and the search for the Holy Grail (contradiction + absurdism) is like my entire sense of humor. Not sure where the darkness comes from, MASH?
Last edited by Cecily; 06-21-2019 at 11:57 AM..
Old 06-21-2019, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarflord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
love the sick tranny post thrown in from stay at home son
Millions of dollars and yet you spend your free time yelling like a crazy homeless person at a transwoman in a thread about scuba diving.
Closed Thread