Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 05:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've soloed 6 melee to 46+ (most to 50+) mostly untwinked, and STA is my recommendation.
And none of them were paladins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're debating between CHA and STA, I don't think it's close. CHA gear is cheap and easy to swap to if you want to lull to break a camp and is otherwise useless. I'd suggest picking up some of the pieces other posts have suggested.
You cant swap to cha gear when you are naked doing a CR, and I already debunked this idiocy of switching to enchanter toilet paper to lull with.

Quote:
Not sure why you decided this time, there could only be one person behind the accounts
Because I'm smart and you aren't.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:03 AM
Planar Protector

I soloed to 60 with exception of a couple groups sessions in velks and seb, maybe half a level at most. My path isn’t your path, just qualifying my neckbeard points [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

A solo pally has limitations even with all the charisma in the world. No mez, blur, or long lasting root. Ok for a couple spawns you don’t expect but a full room will eventually flatten you if solo and a fan of rolling dice. A HIE with starting points will still need a kit if you are a daring explorer, it just won’t be as exhaustive as a dwarf. Ultimately you should pick a race on what you like the look of most though.

Functionally stam is less important, let’s get real here. It’s max 105 hps at 60. Strictly solo At 59 I’d rather take the cha for ease of life or the wisdom (180 mana is almost another heal over time, or a few Enstills left in the gas tank). Starting stats are about end game regret though. Will you be annoyed (if) as a casual player being an extra 105 hps behind your peers? The functional difference between a 2895/3000 hp or 3395/3500 hp tank is nothing. Psychologically it’s everything.

I have 70 base stamina and if offered the chance to swap starting stats now I world. It’s just easier to balance tanking stats which is what I primarily use the character for at 60. That and capping stam without a buff isn’t a horrible curse. The real answer is just get better gear though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Old 04-11-2021, 07:43 AM
Planar Protector

The answer for the OP is still CHA.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:26 AM
Planar Protector

It's an interesting question because there are decent arguments for STA, STR, CHA and WIS on a solo paladin.

STR - High quality of life stat at lower levels and especially with minor/moderate twinking on non-Dwarves. Small DPS increase, but if you're solo that matters.

STA - Best tanking stat, and ultimately you are a tank. More HP is always a good thing.

WIS - You are extremely reliant on your spells for tanking and staying alive, and there are situations where having the mana for one more cast of a root or heal will save your life.

CHA - Eventually you will die or get into serious trouble with critial failure on lull. Therefore more CHA is always a help.

Personally I would lean toward STA or WIS. STR and CHA are much easier to get to adequate levels on gear. The risk of crit fails on lull is real, but if you're soloing in a place where a crit fail will 100% kill you then you're playing way too risky for my taste. Paladin pulling with lull should be used more for convenience than life or death pulls. Leave those splits to the FD classes.

Endgame you will mostly be tanking and healing/buffing. You will be easily STR capped and not pulling any content that matters with lull. WIS would be the long-term min/max in that case since it's the hardest to cap and an extra HoT at 60 before running OOM is a bigger asset than 100 hp in most situations.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:00 PM
Planar Protector

STR if you want to level to 60 as fast as possible. WIS if want to focus on solo artist stuff at 60.

No other choices really
Old 05-08-2021, 08:17 PM
Kobold

I made a solo paladin and i put all 20 points into dex, with the intention of stacking dex items for more procs. I felt like the only way for a paladin to increase their offense is through procs since we dont get any real offensive spells. Would help to make the fight go down faster. A dex strategy could also customize my approach depending on the proc on my weapon (stun, dot, or just plain damage).

I think wisdom is the other option for a solo paladin, but it really would be only useful if you are fighting down to the wire and need that extra mana for a root or stun. If 20 wisdom at 60 gets you 180-200 mana, that's still not enough for a HoT (225 mana) or a superior heal (250 mana).

I'm not sure if the dex build or the wisdom build would fare better in a 1v1 match against a named boss or something tough. But i felt like having more procs over the course of a fight could be more helpful than that last extra bit of mana, should you even require it.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:49 PM
Planar Protector

Yea but most procs are marginal. Dawncall is the best we get on two weapons. Possibly the Jeldorin for self healing but the ratio on that is pretty bad by the time you can afford one. Others like the Narandi Lance aren’t a problem since it’s a long lasting DoT and often resets many times in a fight.

The best stats for a solo paladin are: Patience and planning.
Last edited by Snaggles; 05-08-2021 at 08:53 PM..
Old 05-08-2021, 09:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea but most procs are marginal. Dawncall is the best we get on two weapons. Possibly the Jeldorin for self healing but the ratio on that is pretty bad by the time you can afford one. Others like the Narandi Lance aren’t a problem since it’s a long lasting DoT and often resets many times in a fight.

The best stats for a solo paladin are: Patience and planning.
i'll grant that most procs are marginal, but i think we can agree that this discussion of where to put the 20 points is also going to lead to marginal results no matter where you put them.

the 20 in wisdom is only going to have an effect if you were literally going to be OOM if you hadn't put those points into it. I don't think that as a solo paladin, especially one with DW helmet or BP, that you are going to see that last extra bit of mana put to use. usually before that point, you've run away or won the fight. I guess my point is, that last bit of 180-200 mana isn't going to make much of a difference, either. It's not even enough for the HoT or the superior heal!
Old 05-09-2021, 02:37 AM
Fire Giant

Please don’t put all your points in dex or cha. Any combo of str, sta and wis will do just fine.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:23 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
+cha so you have a better chance of rallying adventurers to you cause so you don’t need to solo.