Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 08:55 PM
Kobold

54 SK with slam here, I have Ebon/Noc and a Reaver. Reaver has become my best friend, get one.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:07 PM
Planar Protector

In groups you will be the lowest dps in the group (unless you also have a paladin). If you have an ench or necro charming your dps is likely to be less than 10% of the total dps. If a small SK, having a 1h and shield allows you to interrupt spell casters. Since aggro isn’t a problem for a knight I wouldn’t overthink my tank weapon. Trying to do dps is a noble goal but not your priority…keep aggro, snare runners, pull if needed = amazing SK.

Soloing, it’s all you and later your 58 pet. Cutting 25%+ of your dps means longer fights, more damage taken, more casting spells, more medding. With a slow 2h you lose less dps between swings than with a 1h. Leave more in the bank for a solo 2h…reaver, narandi (55+), even an Argent Protector or Exquisite 2h. The Exquisite Lance is significantly cheaper.

While the piercer path may be less ideal you do have a 1-skill path:
25/30 carved dragonbone spear - Exquisite Lance - Narandi - Lance of Thunder or Dawn Spear (if raiding).

Heck, Kael even has a pretty cool 1h piercer you can get for free via quest or just killing the NPC and getting lucky. I also like the Blood Fork as a throwback OG sk weapon.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:30 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess my question is what are you hoping to do with it. Are you looking to solo for a substantial amount of time (reaver works wonders on guards) or to fill a DPS niche in PUGs? Or is this for group tank or raid offtank work? If the latter a nice 1hs/1hb and shield is your best bet as the shield ac isn’t affected by soft cap and will provide you a lot of damage mitigation. Shield is also nice for pulling to help with taking some extra hits.

Tbh a shadow knight can do a damn fine job tanking with auto attack off…
Yes, Shadow Knights rock [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As for what I am looking to do, I solo; used to get in PUGs but those seem to be hard to find lately on Blue
Old 06-24-2021, 01:47 AM
Planar Protector

Go camp this and save your 7.5k - I managed to get mine on my SK when she was level 5 so I know you can do it if you put your mind to it.

Tips: have an evac plan (hammer/cap)

https://wiki.project1999.com/Sword_of_Pain

I really did do this at level 5 - here is a copy of my post on how to do it

1) Must be level 5 to enter Velkators Labyrinth

2) Group comp I used was Paladin/Cleric/Shaman/Monk/Enchanter - Enchanters are awesome down here because they can illusion and be non KoS... Makes lulling/pulling very easy. Personally I think a 3 man group is the sweet spot but our 5 man made things a EZ mode.

3) Clear the ramps of all Blizzard Stalkers (they see invis)

4) Invis level 5 SK and run him to pit area and camp (this is a safe spot). If you have the kill force to easy clear the ramps then this part is easy. If not then it is a giant pain in the ass. I ended up dying and getting rez'd in the safe zone after some creative training and camping to get the cleric up there

5) There are 2 dogs when you drop in the pit, pretty easy to break in. I was able to drop in with the level 5 taking no damage at any time.

6) When you go up the ramp from the drop in room, the dog at the very far end that you will be staring directly at is the PH. He spawns in the center of a room down the long hall way with 2 others in his room.

7) Dogs are on a 30 min respawn

8) The named does not show a sword graphic in his hand even when he has the sword.

9) Use Leatherfoot Raiders cap to gate out of pit after looting

10) Slaughter monsters with your new weapon
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Last edited by Bardp1999; 06-24-2021 at 02:01 AM..
Old 06-24-2021, 03:21 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rader [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As for what I am looking to do, I solo
At 51, you want a Reaver.

/thread
Old 06-24-2021, 03:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
At 51, you want a Reaver.

/thread
What he REALLY wants is this.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Innoruuk%27s_Curse

He should look into an MQ, or at least look into starting the preliminary work towards his epic.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What he REALLY wants is this.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Innoruuk%27s_Curse

He should look into an MQ, or at least look into starting the preliminary work towards his epic.
Yea, 7-8k for a reaver or 150k for a Inny’s Curse.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea, 7-8k for a reaver or 150k for a Inny’s Curse.
Or ask guildies to help him do it, or ask poopsockers that have all the necessary items if they're willing to help a fellow SK.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or ask guildies to help him do it, or ask poopsockers that have all the necessary items if they're willing to help a fellow SK.
It's so difficult to tell if you are trolling people or just oblivious. It's valued over 15x more than the Reaver. You can't compare the two.

Everyone should work towards their epic. If you play a lot, raid a lot, and are lucky it still might take a very long time. You don't just kill hill giants for a week and drop by the tunnel...
Old 06-24-2021, 05:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's so difficult to tell if you are trolling people or just oblivious. It's valued over 15x more than the Reaver. You can't compare the two.

Everyone should work towards their epic. If you play a lot, raid a lot, and are lucky it still might take a very long time. You don't just kill hill giants for a week and drop by the tunnel...
You make it sound as if "sometimes there just isn't an MQ for sale." I guess for Bard and Magician that could be true, but not for the others AFAIK. And besides that, nobody is making six figures a week at Rathe Mountains.

But regardless, if you want to MQ an epic, you can always cut down the cost by collecting whatever components you can on your own, saving plat or enlisting guildie help for the ones you can't do on your own or the bottleneck spawns, like Trakanon.

If he wants to buy the Reaver, fine, he can afford it, and it's a good weapon. He "should" be working towards his Epic as well. I suggested more budget-friendly options for him in case he wants to save his plat for something else, and also because I prefer weapons that have stats on them like Str/Sta/HP. I don't just concern myself with the ratio and nothing else.