Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Era'viss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is what I have confirmed from multiple sources. In all likelihood I wouldn't get caught. The rub is how it will effect my motivation.

Right now I'm playing a monk, so random and sudden AFKs aren't a bother.

After thinking about it for a whole day, I'm going to do it just to say I did it. Kind of like that time my wife and I had sex on my bosses desk when I was working late and she was bringing me dinner.
The addiction is real!
Old 09-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Kobold

You don't even need a full laptop. a Cheap netbook will play p99. I did it at work, snuck in a small netbook and tethered it.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:44 AM
Sarnak

I sometimes idle in EC while at work, through a remote desktop connection to my home computer through an SSH tunnel, not possible to detect this. I run in a small window using WinEQ and it basically just looks like a chat box to any passerby unless I'm actually doing a trade, in which case I just need to be careful and quick.

Setting up virtual desktops on your work computer also helps, easy to flip to a different desktop very quickly if the need arises.

If you can't get a connection to home for some reason, bring in a small laptop and tether like someone already mentioned. Done that a few times too.

EQFriends Consolidation Tool - consolidate all your friends
Auction/Logfile Notifier - logfile watcher with text/email notification
Old 09-11-2015, 12:54 AM
Planar Protector

The antihack dll might get flagged by your corporate antivirus (false positive) and then they will investigate further.

As for the idea of running a remote session back to your home PC, that will be seen as a high load connection to anyone monitoring network traffic, more than any music streaming etc. Basically your traffic will stick out like a sore thumb if anyone bothers to look. And that will provoke further investigation.
Last edited by Grimjaw; 09-11-2015 at 12:59 AM..
Old 09-11-2015, 02:34 AM
Kobold

buy a 50$ laptop from local pawn shop, connect to the wifi that is there, dl eq, win, if this isn't a troll post i don't know what is
Old 09-11-2015, 02:56 AM
Planar Protector

What's a girl to do! Half the ppl telling you ways to get away with it and the other half telling you not to go down this road!
Old 09-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Sarnak

Do you think it is healthy to sacrifice your career for internet pixels which may not exist a year or two from now?
Old 09-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty405 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you think it is healthy to sacrifice your career for internet pixels which may not exist a year or two from now?
Easy question. No I don't.

And to everyone suggesting I bring/buy a laptop to play on, great suggestion, but there's a few reasons why I'm not opting for that. First off, I'm trying to be covert. Having a second computer on my desk running a game feels a bit more obvious than just having it run on one of my monitors. Plus there's the cost associated with this that doesn't quite match my price point. Then I'd also have to explain to my wife why I purchased a laptop after I just built a gaming PC earlier this year.

I did hop on briefly yesterday, but barely did anything because I have to setup my UI again. Plus I was getting butt slammed with a ton of issues at work.

The goal is using EQ as a carrot on a stick. Once I clear all my to-dos (which right now I have an extremely healthy list) I'll hop on and dick around on my monk till someone interrupts me. The way I see it, I already dick around on Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, etc when time allows. This will be similar to that, but I'm playing our favorite game. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're fucking stupid
Shots fired![You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Sarnak

Unless you are the Network Admin, this is probably a bad idea.