Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Kobold

Question P99 at Work!

So I tested running p99 off a thumb drive over the holiday, and it worked. No real surprise there.

After the holiday, back at work, I ask an IT buddy of mine about how would this work if I tried running it off my thumb drive on the work PC (which is obviously company property and against our policy). He said it wouldn't be detected at all by any way he can think of based off how they monitor our PCs...

So before I put my job on the line doing something I'm not supposed to do (but REALLY want to do since this game is awesome and typically we have lots of down time) can anyone out there tell me of ways I would be caught?
Old 09-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Sarnak

Off the top of my head, your boss coming in your office and noticing your binder of maps printed out next to a sock
Old 09-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Sarnak

youre close to bottom my son, just a couple more steps. once you're explaining to your wife/husband/fetlife lover that you got fired for casting spells with your druid at the office and your boss belittled you in front of your coworkers for rolling a wood elf the future will become clear again
Old 09-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Banned

network traffic

or foot traffic (ie ur boss walks by)
Old 09-09-2015, 05:26 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thing is, at least where I work, TONS of people stream music like Pandora, Spotify, Christian radio, whatever, and I'm sure EQ takes way less bandwidth than any of that stuff. Although the upload traffic may be kinda suspicious since music streaming is all download. I work IT for a school district... we don't really monitor network traffic here so much as website usage, and I don't think EQ would show up on our website usage reports. YMMV though. Probably best not to risk it but if you work in a relaxed workplace then you'd probably get away with it as long as it wasn't hurting your productivity (it will).
Old 09-09-2015, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Off the top of my head, your boss coming in your office and noticing your binder of maps printed out next to a sock
hahahhahaha
Old 09-09-2015, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

i just want to say that this is a perfect example of why EQ gets bad press. what are you willing to sacrifice for pixels? its ok to share, this is a safe place.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phacemeltar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i just want to say that this is a perfect example of why EQ gets bad press. what are you willing to sacrifice for pixels? its ok to share, this is a safe place.
willing to sacrifice casual sex
Old 09-09-2015, 05:37 PM
Planar Protector

yikes
Old 09-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Sarnak

Been debating it myself. Can't pull the trigger due to needing the job
Closed Thread