Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 03:20 PM
Kobold

Default Paladin gearing priority?

Started from nil a week or two ago, and have been having a bunch of fun as an Erudite Paladin (level 15). Leveling in the Qeynos areas, so I haven't touched the economy of EC yet.

Right now I'm in 70% cloth armor, 2 pieces of leather, 2 pieces of gifted chainmail, a 6AC vendor-bought shield, and a gifted Giant Militia Longsword (11/39 and magic so I can hit those Will-O-Wisps). Not great, but I can still tackle blue cons slowly.

Through grouping with an awesome shaman at the Western Karana bandits, I've amassed ~450pp to spend. This has me wondering what I should be focusing on? My spells seem to generate plenty of threat, and even with a more powerful weapon I know my damage will be... wanting. Maybe the best use of platinum is on AC and HP?

Someone advised me to constantly be looking for a Shield of the Stalwart Seas, but it looks rarely sold and probably out of my price range for some time. Other people swear by saving up for haste (Silver Chitin Hand Wraps), but I'm not sure how beneficial they are to a Paladin? Safest route may be to find a blacksmith to craft a set of Banded Armor, and buy two 5AC 55HP rings?

If you have any advice on what I should be saving up for, or which items have the strongest effect on playing a Paladin please let me know! Happy to learn more.
Last edited by Saisu; 02-23-2018 at 03:38 PM..
Old 02-23-2018, 03:43 PM
Fire Giant

60 Paladin here. I would definitely get two +55 HPs rings. Those are going to make a huge difference for you. I honestly wouldn't worry about getting banded armor, because at level 15 pretty soon you can head to Unrest where plenty of bronze armor drops for free. The next thing after two +55 rings I would get would be Baton of Faith which is a 2hb that is 30/40 and costs 75-100p or so.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:43 PM
Aviak

banded armor+jc rings and then venture on to get some earrings from MM or Kunark giants+ghoulbane you'll be set !
Old 02-23-2018, 03:55 PM
Sarnak

Shoot me PM. I have a couple extra of the 55hp rings you can have.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:09 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Truthbearer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I honestly wouldn't worry about getting banded armor, because at level 15 pretty soon you can head to Unrest where plenty of bronze armor drops for free.
The bronze armor sounds great (and I've had people recommend Unrest), but wiki shows a full set weighs 86 st?I have ~80 STR right now, so with weapons and bags I'd be severely encumbered. Are there any good beginner +STR items to offset the heavy armor?
Old 02-23-2018, 04:23 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saisu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The bronze armor sounds great (and I've had people recommend Unrest), but wiki shows a full set weighs 86 st?I have ~80 STR right now, so with weapons and bags I'd be severely encumbered. Are there any good beginner +STR items to offset the heavy armor?
You won't be able to equip a full set, just wear as much as you can without being at risk of being encumbered and sell the rest. It should vendor for a decent amount. The difference between a complete set and incomplete won't make any noticeable difference in your character whatsoever.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:03 PM
Kobold

HP rings will be your biggest upgrade. get some cheap JC str earrings and bracers should offset the weight of the bronze.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:28 PM
Kobold

I would say the priority for gearing a tank is some banded and hp rings, but VERY quickly / immediately afterward you should start saving for a haste item like Silver Chitin Hand Wraps or Flowing Black Silk Sash.

Your first haste item will be something you use for literally hundreds of hours of game play. It's probably the biggest DPS upgrade you make plat for plat imo.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:14 PM
Planar Protector

You don't actually need a lot of worn ac to mitigate the first 30 levels decently. If you want low weight armour better than cloth hit up Guk and grab a set of mesh.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:37 PM
Kobold

I appreciate all the great responses, gearing ideas, explanations of AC, and offers to assist. Thanks everyone.
Closed Thread