Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 09:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
SK solo is still slow but it's miles more efficient than paladins.
My response to the previous post was not a blanket Pally > SK. Nor was it debating efficiency or access to gear making it easy on green/teal. I was rebutting that the false assumption that paladins cannot solo for xp at all. Simply put, warriors can solo to 50 on pre-Kunark and to 60 later on. A pally is a lackluster warrior that can root and heal...it’s not a stretch of one's logic this can be a possibility.

I’m not going to touch your group dynamic comments. Stuns, root, additive hp buffs, heals and an instant ench/cleric saving skill vs snare and FD? You be the judge.

I love my SK and my pally. The pally was and is more boring solo wise but more fun for group play (IMHO). I'd suggest leveling up both classes eventually. Doing so with a green/teal xp penalty is a labor of love though. I'd probably pick the one that most speaks to me. If you buy/camp your gear properly half the junk will swap over anyways.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

No ever one said you couldn't solo as a paladin. Someone had said they never saw a paladin soloing a camp. I've only see it once on P99 and it was on green, some mid 40s paladin trying to camp a guise by himself. Let's just say it didn't end well.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Planar Protector

I doubt a sk could solo my stomping ground (KC basement) nearly as well as my paladin did. I did about 25% of 59 solo there and probably 1/3 of my total xp 56+ solo. Being able to root/disengage/recover/continue is a big plus. Downtime self healing that doesn’t require being in combat? Also a big plus.

SK fear kite is a big perk but it gets harder and harder to find good places to do it the higher level you get. It requires more space than a lot of hunting grounds can safely support. From 46 on with deepwater helmet click, paladins hunting grounds stay wide open.

Solo is slow for both knights. You’re kidding yourself if you think paladins aren’t good at it though. Slow as the kills were, it was generally on par over time with full group xp. My favorite was always finding a necro to duo with.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 01-02-2020, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I doubt a sk could solo my stomping ground (KC basement) nearly as well as my paladin did. I did about 25% of 59 solo there and probably 1/3 of my total xp 56+ solo. Being able to root/disengage/recover/continue is a big plus. Downtime self healing that doesn’t require being in combat? Also a big plus.

SK fear kite is a big perk but it gets harder and harder to find good places to do it the higher level you get. It requires more space than a lot of hunting grounds can safely support. From 46 on with deepwater helmet click, paladins hunting grounds stay wide open.

Solo is slow for both knights. You’re kidding yourself if you think paladins aren’t good at it though. Slow as the kills were, it was generally on par over time with full group xp. My favorite was always finding a necro to duo with.
I’d say they are in the same ballpark. I have a pally and sk, I find the sk solo more powerful if calm is not needed. Max 52/58 pet is no joke, way more dps than a weak dot. Potentially 3 lifetap procs if you include epic, access to superior races with regen/fsi, self, ds, atk buffs, and life tap spells. Not hard to have a few bags worth of root nets for emergency situations and shouldn’t need to be constantly rooting with a properly split camp.

Also a lot of room is not needed for fear kiting if you know what you’re doing, doesn’t require the immense amount of room that you’d think. Sk fear kiting rats in Pom will likely be better solo xp than a pally can do 55+.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:45 PM
Planar Protector

Ive been playing all the tanks, but only all in the teens with basic spells. I am surprised I like tanks the most nowadays. I am just stuck between SK and Warrior because on one hand, one at end of game can't actually tank anymore, and theres only one true tank, but I like the more fun one better ;p
Old 01-05-2020, 02:28 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Dont really want to jump in here but.....

at no point 1-60 is any tool the paladin have going to beat Shadowknight pulling unless he is just retarded and only has one hand.. I know you guys get all defensive but it's never, ever, ever easier to pull with a paladin over- FD, snare, pet, instant click invis.

Which is also why Shadowknights are better soloing over paladin, clerics and rogues. I think just every other class beats them.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:15 AM
Planar Protector

Cool straw man argument. I missed the part he said anything about pulling in your quoted block.

Paladins are worse at pulling than SK’s. No fire alarms are going off with that proposal..
Old 01-05-2020, 08:08 AM
Planar Protector

The entire premise looks like trying to bicker about two largely different classes and sell one as objectively better for doing a thing the other class doesn't have in their toolset, then downplay the other class for a thing the other class doesn't have in their toolset.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublegrey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dont really want to jump in here but.....

at no point 1-60 is any tool the paladin have going to beat Shadowknight pulling unless he is just retarded and only has one hand.. I know you guys get all defensive but it's never, ever, ever easier to pull with a paladin over- FD, snare, pet, instant click invis.

Which is also why Shadowknights are better soloing over paladin, clerics and rogues. I think just every other class beats them.
Sk's make formidable pullers it's true but pulling with pacify/lull and 180 charisma is pretty easy.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 01-05-2020, 04:03 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cool straw man argument. I missed the part he said anything about pulling in your quoted block.

Paladins are worse at pulling than SK’s. No fire alarms are going off with that proposal..
*cough* above and the camp he is taking about. Annnnnnnnnnyway I'm out, op should have an idea now except for those diehards
Closed Thread