Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-25-2018, 04:45 PM
Sarnak

Default Question for the Tech people

I am in the market for a new laptop, my functions are primarily work as well as programming, video editing/rendering/and some light gaming when I can fit it in, which is slim to none. I'm looking for a 15 inch laptop, I've been currently peaking at the following and looking for any opinions or feedback on anybody that has or currently uses one of these.

Gigabyte Aero 15x
Dell XPS 15
Razer Blade 15 (it looks a bit gamery)
MSI GS65 (not as bad as the razer blade)
Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme

Work is giving me a budget of 2,000 usd to work with, I'd be willing to throw in a couple hundred bucks if it meant I could get something on the line. Any input is welcomed, thanks guys/gals.
Last edited by Rick Sanchez; 11-25-2018 at 05:03 PM..
Old 11-25-2018, 05:04 PM
Planar Protector

At that budget look for Intel i7-8750H or similar for cpu and gtx 1070 or similar for gpu rest is just preference
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:10 PM
Planar Protector

Aero 15x is probably going to be the most well rounded in terms of productivity, gaming, battery life, etc

Some recent deals on it peg it around 1.5k for the 144hz 1070 model. Pretty nice.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:24 PM
Sarnak

Do you currently use one Khanable or know someone who does ?
Old 11-25-2018, 06:51 PM
Planar Protector

I don't - but I've been investigating the same exact lineup for myself.

I wrote the XPS 15 off due to a 1050Ti and thermal issues (I primarily want it to game)
I wrote the GS65 off due to lesser build quality (not to say it is bad, but the only laptops I've ever owned were Apple so the bar is high here).

For me it was between the blade 15 and Aero. I'm leaning towards the mercury white blade over the Aero due to unibody design and no numpad (useless for me) and better webcam placement (I skype family often). From all my research though, the Aero seems to be the one preferred by folks looking to do everything. I think the YouTube nerds gush about it because it has an SD card slot which I guess is a rarity these days or something. Eh.

If the Aero 15 isn't your cup of tea and you only plan to do light gaming the XPS 15 has the best keyboard I've ever used on a laptop outside of Apple ones (I do know someone with this one) - and the build quality is fantastic with insane battery life.

If work > gaming, I would personally go Aero > XPS 15 > Blade 15
Old 11-25-2018, 08:31 PM
Sarnak

yeah, I agree totally. I wish the numpad wasn't on the Aero because it's def interesting. Have you heard any negs on Razer with the QC or thermals/lightbleed/battery? I'm assuming they're all going to have some sort of thermal problem just due to the 8750 and the geometry of a thin and light. Good to know the XPS 15 has a solid keyboard, I heard their screens are stellar as well(per Dave2D). I would automatically have to change the wifi card if I got the xps because it's a killer, not intel but an easy fix nonetheless.

PS. That Mercury White looks so much better.
Last edited by Rick Sanchez; 11-25-2018 at 08:41 PM..
Old 11-25-2018, 09:27 PM
Sarnak

I purchased a MSI GS65 recently for work and gaming. Been enjoying it a lot, but it was a huge upgrade over my old potato.

Any specific questions about it?
Old 11-26-2018, 06:52 AM
Sarnak

hey icedwards [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. I’m wondering how the build quality is, such as near the power button, screen when you open the laptop also is there major lightbleed on thr screen? It ismore of a discreet gaming laptop which is nice.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:50 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hey icedwards [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. I’m wondering how the build quality is, such as near the power button, screen when you open the laptop also is there major lightbleed on thr screen? It ismore of a discreet gaming laptop which is nice.
I also bought the MSI GS65 a couple months ago, it's solidly built and I've been happy playing p99 with it so far. I'm not 100% sure what you mean about light bleed but the screen isn't glossy at all. You can open a window with light shining directly on the screen and it won't affect your ability to see.

The touch pad isn't great for as much space as it takes up relative to the keyboard but that is my only real critique about the quality of this laptop's layout.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:58 AM
Sarnak

Build quality around the screen is great. The casing itself is on par, but I find the actual power button a little fiddly. Light bleed is going to be hard to avoid in any laptop model. I only notice it in the bottom right hand corner, and only when I'm in a pitch black room (even then minimally).

Dillusional is right about the touch pad though. It's ass.