Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 05:37 PM
Planar Protector

Default Web design help

I am working on uploading photos to my website, and up until now this hasnt been much of an issue, but how do I efficiently shrink the size of multiple photos to less than 1mb?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-24-2019, 05:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
most sites use something called an image handler that automatically regulates the size of images people see when they click to enlarge, as an example if i upload an 8k pixel image to a site, without an image handler if someone opens it it would be 10x the size of the screen and huge to download.

if you want to shrink it BEFORE you upload you will need to resize it, tools that do multiple images at once you will lose quality btw.
Thanks Ship. I really need to just breakdown and hire this out.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:00 PM
Planar Protector

There are many tools you can use, but personally I use the free/open-source tool GIMP. You just open your image file, use the "Scale Image" menu item to scale it down (if necessary), and then export it as a PNG or JPG file.

Just doing that should reduce the file size a huge amount (with the exact amount, and the exact impact on your image's detail, depending on how far you scale it down).

P.S. Also there's a way to batch process several images at once using GIMP, but I've never done that: https://ulyssesonline.com/2008/09/22...ges-with-gimp/. And if for whatever reason GIMP doesn't work for you, there are also websites that do this sort of thing (but usually with some kind of cost: either they charge you or they add a watermark to your images).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 09-24-2019 at 06:04 PM..
Old 09-24-2019, 06:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are many tools you can use, but personally I use the free/open-source tool GIMP. You just open your image file, use the "Scale Image" menu item to scale it down (if necessary), and then export it as a PNG or JPG file.

Just doing that should reduce the file size a huge amount (with the exact amount, and the exact impact on your image's detail, depending on how far you scale it down).

P.S. Also there's a way to batch process several images at once using GIMP, but I've never done that: https://ulyssesonline.com/2008/09/22...ges-with-gimp/. And if for whatever reason GIMP doesn't work for you, there are also websites that do this sort of thing (but usually with some kind of cost: either they charge you or they add a watermark to your images).
there is a way to use the old outlook email program to reduce file sizes en masse. Its done by attaching photos in an email, shrinking the size, and then grabbing the photos out of temporary files before they are sent.

i dont particularly like doing it that way as it feels cumbersome, but it does work
Old 09-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
there is a way to use the old outlook email program to reduce file sizes en masse. Its done by attaching photos in an email, shrinking the size, and then grabbing the photos out of temporary files before they are sent.

i dont particularly like doing it that way as it feels cumbersome, but it does work
Well, using a program designed to do that sort of thing should be a lot easier than "hacking" Outlook ... but again, I've never done batch operations with GIMP, so you'll have to see for yourself.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any tool that does this in batch has a quality reduction, as for outsourcing, i just hired 3 new guys to stock the new websites i launched since its too long / tedious to do it myself.
good to know man.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
i just hired 3 new guys to stock the new websites i launched since its too long / tedious to do it myself.
The programmer inside me dies a little every time I hear about someone doing perfectly good computer-automated work with human beings [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 09-26-2019, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
How you going to get a program to add products to a site, download images, upload them and configure attributes?
Why are you getting images for your products from other people's sites? That's kind of weird.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
i sell stuff from thousands of vendors as well as my branded products
Ahhh.

Well getting back to:

Quote:
How you going to get a program to add products to a site, download images, upload them and configure attributes?

Write me a program bro you have no idea how much money we will make.
That's almost all very automatable (web scrapers are simple tech). The tricky part is that different vendors have different websites. For just grabbing whatever images there's ways to work around that, but to get the "attributes" (data about those products I assume?) ... that would be nearly impossible to do, in an automated way, for hundreds of sites.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done (with AI or without), but it likely wouldn't be worth the cost compared to just paying humans.

For something like that I think the smart thing to do would be to automate as much of the process as you possibly can, but then yeah ultimately you have to pay some warm bodies to go onto each site and somehow mark (in your automation tool) that "the information we want is kept here on this site".

Closed Thread