Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-24-2019, 10:49 PM
Sarnak

Default New Gaming PC inquiry

Soo.. Im looking to gain another gaming pc, but I thought to ask here first if there's anything I should be warned about.

A very long time ago Im pretty sure I read that this emulator will only run if you have windows 7 OS...

Does it run on anything newer, with mass ram and multi cores etc? Any issues I might run into that are avoidable?

Thanks

PS, this old antiquated pc is going to be my wifes gaming pc when I get her playing.. LOL!
Old 09-25-2019, 02:41 AM
VIP / Contributor

It'll run on anything Windows 7 and later.

RAM maximum doesn't matter, anything 2GB or higher can run EQ.

Multi-core doesn't matter either. EQ only really uses a few threads and only two of them are used intensely, so normally a dual core or higher machine is fine.

Your best bet would be a machine with a solid state drive. Faster the better.

Let's put it this way: Windows 10 takes more resources than EverQuest does.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 09-25-2019, 08:34 AM
Planar Protector

Limit your CPU speed. There's a known issue when people have OC'd their CPU's and P99 doesn't like that.

SSD is great for loading zones super fast.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:08 AM
Sarnak

You want a fast disk. Everything else is pretty much going to ship standard on a decent pc over $400.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:15 AM
Sarnak

I run on Win 10 using Titanium client. Like everyone said, SSD or NVMe for super fast load times. I run on a Lenovo Yoga judt fine, only get slight stutter in frames in the tunnel.

My desktop, which is in storage/transit because I moved, has a dedicated graphic card and run of the mill SSD. It runs the client flawlessly.

Old CPU 3770k, 1080ti, 2100mhz ram (32 gb)
Old 09-25-2019, 11:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCtastic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My desktop, which is in storage/transit because I moved, has a dedicated graphic card and run of the mill SSD. It runs the client flawlessly.
The one thing I'll say about this (for anyone considering getting just onboard graphics) is that while for like 90% of peoples' cases the onboard graphics are probably fine, especially if you plan to use your computer the way it was meant to (ie. a desktop as a desktop and a laptop as a laptop) ...

... if you're like a lot of people these days, who buy a laptop but mostly use it as a desktop, then getting an actual graphics card (even a comparatively cheap/weak mobile one) might be worth your while. An onboard graphics card can likely run EQ with a laptop screen or even a single external monitor just fine ...

... but if you're like me and use your laptop to power two (very large/high resolution) monitors and you want to play EQ on them ... your onboard graphics may not be enough. Personally my computer came with both and I tried running only the onboard for awhile (to save power), but ultimately I had to switch to the real graphics card.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:43 AM
Sarnak

All very good information, thanks for that.

Any recommendations on a cheap rig? I wont be using it for anything but playing p99. But, I dont want to be locked up playing a cleric on raids =)

Didnt find any reasonable priced rigs with ssd.. Ironic b/c priced independently they're pretty inexpensive.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubaton [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All very good information, thanks for that.

Any recommendations on a cheap rig? I wont be using it for anything but playing p99. But, I dont want to be locked up playing a cleric on raids =)

Didnt find any reasonable priced rigs with ssd.. Ironic b/c priced independently they're pretty inexpensive.
Amazon has lots of reasonably priced laptops with SSDs. For instance: 15.6", 128 GB SSD, $315:https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Display-...68&s=pc&sr=1-3 (not recommending that one specifically, just using it as an example).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:58 PM
Sarnak

Forgive me I am old and out of the tech loop since 2004.. So, I thought laptops are over heating junk.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubaton [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Forgive me I am old and out of the tech loop since 2004.. So, I thought laptops are over heating junk.
Heh, I hear you: I'm from the old days when men were men and we built our own (gianormous) desktops.

If you want to play the latest 3D shooter you still have a reason to buy/build a traditional gaming PC. But today, for P99 ... and really for just about everything except the newest games ... a cheap laptop, partnered with 1-2 monitors (not too cheap if you want two monitors) and a keyboard/mouse, gives you everything a desktop can ... plus you can take it with you.