Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 05-07-2023, 12:06 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Green or Blue Server?

Just started a couple days ago on Blue server. I searched and it's hard to find any updated information on what the difference is.

Seems Green has larger population. Other than that are there any other differences between Green and Blue Server? Rules or something?
Old 05-08-2023, 10:57 PM
Sarnak

No differences, if you're starting fresh you may as well go green.
Old 05-09-2023, 01:00 AM
Planar Protector

There might be minor and arcane differences in some of the raid rules.

I think the biggest difference is that Blue has existed for 14 years, whereas Green has existed for 3 1/2; so Blue has a lot more high-level characters and established players (some of whom have up to 10 level 60s), whereas Green has had less time to ripen in that way. Of course, there are different guilds and players on each, but I don’t know how you’re supposed to find out much about that without playing on that server.

There are supposedly more cheap items on Blue due to a decade of farming Kunark and ~7 years of Velious. Maybe a Blue player can weigh in on that.

There is much fun to be had on both servers. Can’t go wrong.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:16 AM
Planar Protector

If you're brand new just stay on blue. People will basically just give away their cheap items that have been rotting on their mules for years.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:57 AM
Aviak

If you prefer to solo: blue. Less competition for mobs. Cheaper gear. Freebies.
If you want to group on the way to 60: green. Much better distribution of levels, people to group with.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:08 AM
Sarnak

Blue: The economy is where its been because of total time online, /played and general age. Most items are cheaper, Best In Slot items are cheaper, but niche and truly game-changing/breaking items that are no longer dropping are extremely (in the millions of plat) expensive and scale as time goes on. A decent amount of these are readily available to buy if you have the platinum.. a few are still available if you can locate the guy that has it and are willing to broker a deal (See pre-nerf fungus staff and Scepter of Destruction.)
***For blue, its a great experience because a true new player will be treated like a rarity and showered with buffs, alts that have mains to make the exp flow faster, and general good-will. Blue is the way to go if you want to easy mode classic everquest as it was back when Luclin/PoP came out.

Green: The opposite, though now it seems green is going into a steady economy. You can expect to spend top dollar..but you can expect to sell for top dollar. All in all, if your trading items, you can retain plat value to time spent earning. However this server came out well after Project 99 blue was already very popular with people knowing the best camps and profit to seek when the server and its patches rolled out.
***For Green, It will be somewhat similar to blue, but the population will be much higher on prime-time and offpeak. There are both pros and cons to this. If you want to group, you should have an easier time here than on blue. But it also means there are more players playing an assortment of 12 classes that have mobs that drop items that you may need. Take that as you will but you will find a harder time finding a camp spot on green due to population and camp (play-nice-policy) than you will on blue.

I mention economy mainly because it seems to affect grouping, gear, etc as you level your character...Seems blue is going into what live is now; no one plays 1-40 zones grouping (If they do, its rare now to find an untwinked alt that can just duo or trio the zone.) A decent amount of people group in the upper 40's into the 50's because of mob scaling and the need for some crowd control and tank-healer-dps trifecta. I would say, the majority of every player you meet on blue are actively playing their main at end game raiding zones and ultra twinking alts to solo/duo through what was intended to be grouping content. Not that there's nothing bad with stampeding through a zone alone which was tedious and rough when you started out.. but the ones doing that got the experience of doing it classic back in the day and can revile in how hard it was and the accomplishment of doing it again, on easy mode.

IMO if your new, savor the last sliver of sunset and start on green, group up and try your darnest to get to 60 on at least one character with no alt help. Once you get there, maybe get a 2nd level 60 char (ideally an opposite so you have a caster main and/or a melee alt) then come to blue and experience end-game at a cheaper dkp-to-happines ratio.

TLDR - Green
Last edited by kgallowaypa; 05-13-2023 at 04:36 AM..
Old 05-13-2023, 04:12 AM
Planar Protector

It’s funny how back on live we complained about how all the new expansions were making the newbie zones, etc empty/obsolete.

Turns out this effect is just from having played for years on one server and everyone already having levelled up their favourite classes already.

Bring on seasonal servers!

Looking forward to green 2.0

I suggest levelling new toons on green if you want to group (more players) or blue if you want to twink (cheaper general items).

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 05-13-2023, 05:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just started a couple days ago on Blue server. I searched and it's hard to find any updated information on what the difference is.

Seems Green has larger population. Other than that are there any other differences between Green and Blue Server? Rules or something?
I’ve been on blue since it opened, and at this point, the only benefit to blue over green for a new player, is how easily you’ll acquire gear while leveling. People on blue toss low/mid level gear at newbies all the time, because the server has been around long enough that spending time in EC to sell a couple items for 1k each isn’t even worth it half the time. Green has a ton of untwinked lowbies, so the odds of getting charity gear is pretty slim and your plat won’t go nearly as far.

Green in most other ways is superior to blue, and I primarily play on blue.
Old 05-27-2023, 11:11 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I started a character on Blue earlier this year and can confirm on getting tossed all sorts of items and buffs. Items are affordable, too, relatively. So, if you are going to be happy solo, or you have a group of friends with you, Blue has perks.

Green is much easier to find groups at lower levels, however, so it's better for something more like the "classic" experience of teaming up with strangers.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:25 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by vondion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I started a character on Blue earlier this year and can confirm on getting tossed all sorts of items and buffs. Items are affordable, too, relatively. So, if you are going to be happy solo, or you have a group of friends with you, Blue has perks.

Green is much easier to find groups at lower levels, however, so it's better for something more like the "classic" experience of teaming up with strangers.
This is what has me convinced Green was the right choice for me. I have almost entirely grouped up to level 42