Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > PvP Bugs

Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigaslash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IIRC Innoruuk should have the same dispel attack as Phinigel Autropos, basically proc on attack.
Ok that's easy to do. What about the gravity flux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
These on hits like the Venril Touch were known to us as "touch" effects. Meaning very high chance to proc on hit and would proc on kick/bash.
This should be working as of a few patches ago.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Banned

Yaw you guys hit that nail on the head.

=)

Saw Venril tap to full on a lazy raid. I got immersed quick.

Remaining question is if the Inny/Phin AoE should also dispel.

And also to distinguish between Inny 1.0 and 2.0 functionality [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

Edit: Stream of Acid says not dispellable on a number of sites... but then again it lists winged death/ignite blood the same [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. I'd put it at 9 strength? Most guilds who killed warder/nex are wall dodging anywhere that I can find anything so it appears they went that route rather than worry about dealing with dispel... I'm just worried that some of the non-player casted dots might have issues after a change like this... tbh I'd say anything that isn't player castable from a raid NPC is strength 9 or something that cannot be dispelled.
Last edited by Nirgon; 08-19-2014 at 01:41 PM..
Old 08-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
It is fairly simple really.

First off dispells always land, even when they don't seem to do anything.

Then each buff gets a check vs your MR minus the spell modifier (or whoever the dispell is landing on).
If that buff fails the check it gets stripped.
If that buff passes the check then the dispell moves on to the next buff and so on. In the case of every buff succeeding the check no buffs will be stripped.

Some dispells strip multiple buffs, in this case the first x buffs that fail their check get dispelled.

In the case of some of the lower resist modified versions it will seem that random buffs are stripped, what is in fact happening is that the buffs above that are passing their checks. Next time you cast the dispell a different buff fails...etc.

In the case of spells like Recant which has a massive modifier (-400) it is pretty much certain to strip the 1st 4 buffs. However there is always a chance to save against it.

If you want a definitive answer from a dev, you might get lucky but its pretty rare for them to post info reguarding game mechanics.
Quote:
Strength comparison based on that number- that's not the number of buffs dispelled, but a strength rating of the dispel. Dispel checks against top buff, if the buff 'saves' against the dispel, goes down and checks next one. Continues until a spell is dispelled or all buffs/debuffs save.

It should be noted that because of that, dispels from lower level npcs against you are far more likely to appear random than higher level ones, since you are more likely to 'save' with your initial buffs. IE, level 55 western wastes dragon will probably make it down to your middle buff slots before a dispel finally succeeds, while a level 85 npc will strip your first consistently.
http://www.elitegamerslounge.com/hom...?f=179&t=71183

That gives a little insight behind why dispels seemed random.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds like it hits any buff where dispel counter >= spell counter. Skips what it can't hit and comes back and deducts counters from stronger buffs if it couldn't 1 shot a spell.

Think they should just increase buff and dot counters and be done with it. Maybe not perfect by way closer to how it was.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Flair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like it hits any buff where dispel counter >= spell counter. Skips what it can't hit and comes back and deducts counters from stronger buffs if it couldn't 1 shot a spell.

Think they should just increase buff and dot counters and be done with it. Maybe not perfect by way closer to how it was.
There are no buff counters to apply to. This theoretical parameter to apply against does not exist. This is not trivial to figure out.

H
Old 08-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Developer

Nake dispelling is the need. Add MR to see the impact. Do a variety of spells, assign buff strengths based on level of spell and/effect. Figure out how save chances work vs MR.

Oh ya, and thats a lot of work. Possible? If mechanics still exist on eqlive, then i can reproduce it probably.

H
Old 08-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Planar Protector

We have a couple people in Nihilum trying to log on to live servers to test dispel counters, though the system was largely changed around 2002-2004. Old posts about MR involved in dispels sound like someone was jumping to conclusions. Reading through all these old dispel related threads reveals most players didn't understand the concept of counters, especially as they applied to dispels, and this led to several weird theories including the involvement of MR.

Quote:
ONLY REMOVES ONE, By Ahappysk (1/28/2001)

This spell actually only removes a maximum of one (de)buff at a time. Also, it"s not guaranteed that a spell will be removed with each cast; if a debuff was cast by a very high level character or NPC it may take a few casts of this to break it. Robe casters get higher level versions of this that have a better chance of removing one or more effects (Enchanters" Pillage Enchantment being the ultimate spell in this line, IIRC). Finally, always remember that this spell IS considered an offensive spell by NPCs, and they"ll react to it as though you"d attacked them directly. Not sure how town guards react if you cast it on a group member (you must be grouped to cast it on a PC unless you"re PvP or duelling).
http://web.archive.org/web/200203050...ll.asp?Id=1368

I believe they were mistaken about the level of the entity being a factor in the counters rather than the level of the spell itself. High lvl npcs/pcs don't generally cast lower level spells and this isn't the way counters worked with poison/disease.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullah [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We have a couple people in Nihilum trying to log on to live servers to test dispel counters, though the system was largely changed around 2002-2004. Old posts about MR involved in dispels sound like someone was jumping to conclusions. Reading through all these old dispel related threads reveals most players didn't understand the concept of counters, especially as they applied to dispels, and this led to several weird theories including the involvement of MR.

http://web.archive.org/web/200203050...ll.asp?Id=1368

I believe they were mistaken about the level of the entity being a factor in the counters rather than the level of the spell itself. High lvl npcs/pcs don't generally cast lower level spells and this isn't the way counters worked with poison/disease.
Prove to me level does or does not come in to play.

Prove to me what does.

At this point I have concluded there are some mechanics at play that we do not fully understand. And I will probably need to spend 10-20 hrs on my own to figure out.

Will it be fixed soon? Not likely.

H
Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

Ya I'm testing it right now on live.

Will post logs, but seeing a lot of randomness. I'll do whatever I can to help, but I'm not sure at this point what can be proven using a version of EQ thats 13 years older than the one we're trying to emulate.

So far I'm seeing cancel magic take anywhere from 1-4 casts to remove an Aegolism casted by a level 85 cleric. Heroism takes 1-3 cancel magics to remove. I'm going to give heroic bond to a low level and see if its harder to remove a high level characters buff casting low level dispels.

The only thing I can see for certain is Annul magic 2x(9) takes top 2 slots every time.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Developer

I am thinking there are values based on the effects a spell has. Not always easy to look up. I will try to push my spell parser i use to git, so i can give it out. I did a version for dalaya, but this one is more for titanium. Big issue is the spell icons dont match.

H