Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > PvP Bugs

Old 08-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Developer

In a corner, you only got interrupted by stun, kick or bash.

So damage/normal hits does not make sense to apply if u didnt move.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Planar Protector

Ya, pretty sure those interrupts from non-movement hits was a change that came after velious.

Only thing I can say for sure, is standing in a corner getting chain interrupted casting 3 sec or faster spells isn't right, and thats how its currently working. I shouldn't be able to kill a cleric on a melee if he is in a corner casting Remedy. Not until he's oom at least.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:18 AM
Banned

One experience specifically:

I'v been in a corner on my 60 cleric with one 60 monk using epic fists only chain interrupting remedy /celestial
Old 08-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Channeling works by loc and skill combined. If you end up in the same spot at the end of cast as the beginning, you will cast through it. So the corner is your friend! Try this. Say, above Kaesora in FOB, go to corner, cast CH, run around building back to corner, and spell will hit! This does not prevent interrupts due to bashes or stuns.
http://www.paullynch.org/eqblog/?p=30
Old 08-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Banned

http://www.oocities.org/xymarra/Stra...rStrategy.html
Quote:
Learn how to avoid interruption. One of the most frustrating things that can happen is being continually interrupted until everything wakes up and your group dies. Two factors affect interrupts: damage taken and total distance moved. Rune and Berserk spells will help prevent interrupts due to damage taken. Most of the time, however, creatures interrupt your spell casting by pushing you around. If a creature pushes you backwards, try to take a tiny step forward to counter the motion. If many creatures are hitting you at once, try spinning in place; this sends constant motion requests to the server and helps maintain your position.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Banned

interdasting
Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Learn how to avoid interruption. One of the most frustrating things that can happen is being continually interrupted until everything wakes up and your group dies. Two factors affect interrupts: damage taken and total distance moved. Rune and Berserk spells will help prevent interrupts due to damage taken. Most of the time, however, creatures interrupt your spell casting by pushing you around. If a creature pushes you backwards, try to take a tiny step forward to counter the motion. If many creatures are hitting you at once, try spinning in place; this sends constant motion requests to the server and helps maintain your position.
http://www.oocities.org/xymarra/Stra...rStrategy.html

Well, we do know at some point channeling did have something to do with just getting hit, not just the push related to getting hit, but this person doesn't seem to understand the mechanics here.

Quote:
Rune and berserk spells will help prevent interrupts due to damage taken
No, rune and berserk prevent damage, thus preventing push. You're not supposed to be able to interrupt a runed caster without bash/stun because you can't push them.

Just to note, this page is a post 2002 era (see bottom).
Last edited by Dullah; 08-20-2014 at 06:27 PM..
Old 09-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Banned

From Technique's post:

Quote:
The only "level" that factors into the equation at all is a bonus that gets applied if you are casting spells whose required level to cast them is lower than what you are currently
Wonder if there is more to casting spells where the required spell level is much lower than the character level.

Perhaps lower resist rate applied to lower level spells too? Would explain why shock of lightning/chaotic feedback wasn't resisted in pvp and things like voltaic draught had major problems.

Just my 2cp.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Banned

Meaning a lvl 8 spell has a better chance of landing AND successfully channeling versus say a level 40 spell of the same type?
Old 10-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Sarnak

Not contributing any "classic" input since r99 is only remotely classic, but as far as server history goes...

During red beta, you could literally channel through 50+ hits nearly every time. If you remember all of Lovely's screenshots of channeling ice comets through 2+ mobs and melee damage, etc. As a fix, we got the custom code where it was 5%(?) less chance to channel per melee hit, and the channeling chances were really good through classic and early Kunark.

The better haste and better weapons for melees later in Kunark really compounded the melee hit ratio problem, and the flat 5% could probably have been adjusted down slightly to keep balance, except...

Some months ago there was some sort of adjustment made to channeling chances for both servers, and I believe that it compounded with reds custom code to significantly decrease our channeling rates. Casting root with a level 55 I was getting interrupted 50% of the time from 2-3 melee hits. I was interrupted very often by only 1 hit, and if I took more, 5-7, I would almost never channel.

If the old code was a flat 90% chance to channel, no matter how many hits were taken like it seemed to be in red beta, and it was dropped to a flat 60% chance(or calculations were adjusted to put it in a similar range), our chances on red would be ~45% after 3 hits currently, where it used to be ~75%. When you consider that melees on red hit 90% or more of the time, your odds of channeling a 3-4.5 second spell are low to non existent.

As an example, a few weeks ago when I was running around on a 56 epic rogue and found a solo cleric(epic'd and near full EM), he only channeled 1 of 3 remedies and died when my backstab recycled. Similarly on a druid, I ran to a corner with DS up to out heal the damage of a dual wielding ranger and instead had to zone and cheetah since I couldn't channel even 1 sup heal. As someone who usually mains a caster, having played that rogue, I have absolutely zero desire to play a(higher level and better geared) caster for PvP.