Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Green Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you feel the Green Server should revisit it's naming Policy?
Yes! It is supposed to be a fresh start! 91 53.53%
No thanks, i'll take the naming leftovers from Blue's 1,000,000 toons. 79 46.47%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 09-18-2019, 06:29 PM
loramin loramin is offline
Planar Protector

loramin's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess "compete consensus" is one way to describe a poll that is literally a dead 50/50 split.
Was this the poll question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly I have not heard a single person object to renaming level 1 toons who haven't been played in awhile and who have <5 pp and no No Drop items except from newbie zones.
No? Then I guess I'm not arguing with the poll results.

But if you wanted to disagree with what I actually wrote, how about you just quote a single person making the argument (not checking a box in a poll, but actually saying) that renaming level 1s no one uses would be a bad thing? Then I can read it, then I'll no longer be able to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly I have not heard a single person object ...
__________________

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous>
The wiki's Per-Level/Treasure Guides have hundreds of places to earn XP or plat.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 09-18-2019, 06:40 PM
Daud Daud is online now
Aviak


Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was this the poll question?
Yes, it was. The poll asked asked if things should stay as is or if we should revisit the naming policy for a rename/delete. OP was quite clear what he explained in his OP, and it seems half of the people want things to stay the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(not checking a box in a poll, but actually saying
Oh, yeah, of course, it doesn't count.

Edit: Whoops, you said rename not delete, my bad.
Last edited by Daud; 09-18-2019 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 09-18-2019, 08:05 PM
Nilstoniakrath Nilstoniakrath is offline
Sarnak

Nilstoniakrath's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly I have not heard a single person object to renaming level 1 toons who haven't been played in awhile and who have <5 pp and no No Drop items except from newbie zones. Heck, I haven't even heard anyone be against deleting such toons, or just renaming any level 1s that haven't been played in awhile.

I really think there's a true community consensus that we should at least go that far.
Uh, mmmm, there have been plenty of posts against the idea of any kind of wipe. Deleting characters is a serious step, and to do so just to free up names, when a character name is really irrelevant to the gaming experience, I am totally against.

BUT, I would be ok with a narrowly defined wipe. Only characters meeting the following criteria:

1) Level 1, AND
2) inactive for over a year, AND
3) only in possession of the items a character gets upon creation, i.e. the no drop food and drink, the guild note, and the noobie weapon

Also, there would need to be system messages in game, for at least a week or more before the purge, giving notice to players so that they can take appropriate measures if they want to avoid having their alts deleted
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 09-18-2019, 08:31 PM
loramin loramin is offline
Planar Protector

loramin's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilstoniakrath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Uh, mmmm, there have been plenty of posts against the idea of any kind of wipe.
Please don't misunderstand: I'm NOT saying "everyone loves wipes". Not at all. I fully agree that the server is conflicted on that.

What I'm saying is, when you get specific and talk about just renaming (or even deleting) toons that no one has played in over a year, and which don't have any meaningful loot, I've yet to hear anyone actually say "that sounds like a bad idea to me".

When you ask people for a knee-jerk reaction to a poll, do some people think "hell no, I like my character name?" Sure. But again, when you actually talk to them, no one is defending keeping the names on unplayed value-less toons.
__________________

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous>
The wiki's Per-Level/Treasure Guides have hundreds of places to earn XP or plat.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 09-18-2019, 08:46 PM
Daud Daud is online now
Aviak


Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please don't misunderstand: I'm NOT saying "everyone loves wipes". Not at all. I fully agree that the server is conflicted on that.

What I'm saying is, when you get specific and talk about just renaming (or even deleting) toons that no one has played in over a year, and which don't have any meaningful loot, I've yet to hear anyone actually say "that sounds like a bad idea to me".
I said it in a round about way, but yeah, I feel like renames/deletes are a bad idea. I've got no problem getting 5-8 letter names that aren't Aiqwej'apsdfji out of the random name generator.

For example, Gazran. Popped right out of the random name generator. That's a fine, strong name for a young ogre or troll. I deleted it, so it's still available if anyone wants it now. Go get 'em, Gaz!

But back to why I think renames/deletes are a bad idea, I'm really curious about what names we're talking about here. I know, no one wants to actually post it because it's all OC DONUT STEAL stuff so I get the secrecy. But I find it highly unlikely people are just sitting on naked level 1 random, generic fantasy sounding names account after account. Shit like Aaragon should never see the light of day again if someone forgot that garbage years ago and that's the kind of stuff I think people sit on, at least if you look at the couple "WTS name" threads that pop up once in a while. And that's what I think people are in demand for. So that's why I just don't have a lot of sympathy for a rename/delete, I can't believe most people can't at least get something similar to what they want as long as it's some semi-original fantasy-ish sounding name unless it's some stupid reference or pun.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 09-18-2019, 09:05 PM
loramin loramin is offline
Planar Protector

loramin's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I said it in a round about way, but yeah, I feel like renames/deletes are a bad idea. I've got no problem getting 5-8 letter names that aren't Aiqwej'apsdfji out of the random name generator.

For example, Gazran. Popped right out of the random name generator. That's a fine, strong name for a young ogre or troll. I deleted it, so it's still available if anyone wants it now. Go get 'em, Gaz!

But back to why I think renames/deletes are a bad idea, I'm really curious about what names we're talking about here. I know, no one wants to actually post it because it's all OC DONUT STEAL stuff so I get the secrecy. But I find it highly unlikely people are just sitting on naked level 1 random, generic fantasy sounding names account after account. Shit like Aaragon should never see the light of day again if someone forgot that garbage years ago and that's the kind of stuff I think people sit on, at least if you look at the couple "WTS name" threads that pop up once in a while. And that's what I think people are in demand for. So that's why I just don't have a lot of sympathy for a rename/delete, I can't believe most people can't at least get something similar to what they want as long as it's some semi-original fantasy-ish sounding name unless it's some stupid reference or pun.
I think the problem with that argument is, if you follow the premise of it then logically you pretty much have to be against any non-random name.

Look, I'm not a fan of the fiftieth dark elf named Drizzt. It was dumb on live, and it's dumb here. It also is jarring to anyone who sees it: it knocks you out of your stupid 20-year old elf sim fantasy world. But ...there's a vast spectrum of names, and Drizzt is only one end.

I've got an Enchanter named Kalasiris who is on the other end. It is not an original name ... but it's from an ancient Greek novel that no one except Literature majors would ever read, so it might as well be: (virtually) no one will ever see it and petition me, and if they did the GMs might not even believe it's from a book.

By your logic, if someone, me or anyone else, made a Kalasiris seven years ago, and never played him (or played him for only a few minutes), no one should ever be able to make a character on Green with the awesome name Kalasiris? I'm not trying to trick or argue with you here, but I'm asking is this really what you believe?

It seems to me that the good kind of name, the ones no one has heard of and sound fantasy, are still a finite good. There's less of that good to go around for everyone if 7-year old toons no one plays deplete the stockpile. IF you agree with that on any level, and you're still against renames, then you have to believe there's a corresponding value to letting those names stay unused, which makes me wonder ... what's that value?
__________________

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous>
The wiki's Per-Level/Treasure Guides have hundreds of places to earn XP or plat.
Last edited by loramin; 09-18-2019 at 09:08 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 09-18-2019, 10:14 PM
Daud Daud is online now
Aviak


Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the problem with that argument is, if you follow the premise of it then logically you pretty much have to be against any non-random name.

Look, I'm not a fan of the fiftieth dark elf named Drizzt. It was dumb on live, and it's dumb here. It also is jarring to anyone who sees it: it knocks you out of your stupid 20-year old elf sim fantasy world. But ...there's a vast spectrum of names, and Drizzt is only one end.
But your second paragraph directly addresses your problem with the premise in the first. It's a spectrum of names, on one end with Aaragorn/Drizzt/etc, and the other, completely random names. Everyone, including staff, has a line somewhere on that spectrum where they feel is "too far" and that's just a preference where people fall, there is no intrinsic right or wrong to it where you have to be for or against something. "I can't define it but I know it when I see it", that's just the way human things work a lot of the time; including how staff even enforces the rules here, I've seen that one come up a lot when dealing with some of the heavy LawyerQuest types. So that's my position on what is and isn't ok for a name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've got an Enchanter named Kalasiris who is on the other end. It is not an original name ... but it's from an ancient Greek novel that no one except Literature majors would ever read, so it might as well be: (virtually) no one will ever see it and petition me, and if they did the GMs might not even believe it's from a book.

By your logic, if someone, me or anyone else, made a Kalasiris seven years ago, and never played him (or played him for only a few minutes), no one should ever be able to make a character on Green with the awesome name Kalasiris? I'm not trying to trick or argue with you here, but I'm asking is this really what you believe?
Yes, because I just don't care about that kind of stuff. I just find another name and move on. Or I'd make Kalasirys or Kalasirus or something (and just for fun, I tried both of these and they worked, so I'd be happy with that). Someone else got Kalasiris, thems the breaks, either I mod it or move on. Daud certainly wasn't the first name I put into the filter for my rogue, and I've got several more characters like this and it just doesn't bother me or make me want to delete someone else's character to get something I want, even if it is just collecting dust as a naked level 1 on a forgotten account. I don't feel like it gives me that right to do that.

I think the problem is people are getting real specific with what they want. When you want that name, and only that name, and that spelling of it, yeah, it's disappointing, especially if it's a level 1 character no one's ever seen. But I don't believe there's a shortage of names to the point where we should just delete or rename characters just because you happen feel disappointed that you didn't get specifically what you wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It seems to me that the good kind of name, the ones no one has heard of and sound fantasy, are still a finite good. There's less of that good to go around for everyone if 7-year old toons no one plays deplete the stockpile. IF you agree with that on any level, and you're still against renames, then you have to believe there's a corresponding value to letting those names stay unused, which makes me wonder ... what's that value?
Finite doesn't mean scarce, though. Unless you can throw out what percentage of the 15 quintillion possible names on this server meet your personal subjective definition of "good" and how many of those are taken, and I know there's a lot thrown out for ones like repeating letters and whatnot that doesn't make sense or violate CoC and every other obvious stupid combination, all we have really is how we "feel" how hard it is to get a name out of the name generator, and personally, I don't find it that hard. Obviously there's a lot of players who feel hindered that they can't get a "good" name past the filter, but, again, it goes back to my suspicions of what I think they personally consider "good", not feeling like there's a shortage, and not feeling it's right to delete other people's characters regardless of how much and when they've played.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 09-21-2019, 05:37 PM
callemosen callemosen is offline
Large Rat


Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 8
Default

People view names of characters in games very different, some like to use new names all the time, some people want the same name they've used in all other games.
If there's an easy way to accommodate all people, I'm sure that's what most server admins will go for.

That said; for blue server I don't think it would harm to delete any character with a total /played under 10 minutes. That should take care of any names sitting "reserved" and unused, without hitting bank mules and lvl 2+

Green is a new server, with new characters ... so it's only natural that all names should be up for grabs. If you have the same name on green as on blue, you wouldn't be able to merge "yourfavoritename" from green to blue without a name change anyway.

Just for fun, I made a new char (on blue), pressed "random name" 3 times, removed 3 letter and ended up with "Nirmin" which feels like a decent name. Even with 1 mill+ names registered I'm sure there are some good names left.
I'm more bugged by names like "Palediiin" than "Xorgizul", you would not wan't me in charge of the "character name black list" >:-)

I've played on P99 since 2009'ish, I have 10+ chars over lvl 20 and my highest is lvl 52. Not everyone plays the game the same way, don't just assume your way is the "right way" to play EQ and not having a lvl 60 means you're not "serious"!
Last edited by callemosen; 09-21-2019 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 09-21-2019, 06:33 PM
AbstractVision AbstractVision is offline
Sarnak

AbstractVision's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 221
Default

I would love to see the naming policy actually be enforced, only fantasy names.
No Truhmp Suhpporter or Beeg Cawk or Russel Crow.

I voted no because the less horrible names available the better.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 09-21-2019, 07:35 PM
Nagoya Nagoya is offline
Fire Giant

Nagoya's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 597
Default

Guys, go make an account right now. It takes literally 5 seconds.
Then create 8 toons.
Go for it! I'll wait.

I just got Republic, Maid, Motherless and other stupid 'wordnames' that were available (just randomly tried a few words and bingo).
Also got another 5 very easy to pronouce names under 6 characters. (ditto with names)

This is just fake news cause you got like one stupid name you make a fixation on and you believe you could get it in a new fresh FTE race for names. people wanna go grab Jesus or Love or Death or i don't know?

I've been wanting to name a toon Nausicaa forever and i'm kinda mad at the lad who took the name and never played the character.

but honestly, whatthefuckever. there are still about ten gazillions names available, including ten billions of very fine ones.

Stop whining and think about your name.

If anything, I think it will filter through all the crap and joke names that are already taken on Blue and it's great.

The name issue is a classic case of something that is only a problem in the head of people who didn't even try.

Don't listen to the whiners Devs. focus your CSR time on much more important/relevent issues please ^^ the system you devised is fine and will make sure nobody has their reputation stolen, for those for whom it matters. for everyone else we will find kickass names next month np.
__________________
Nagoya, Halfling Druid of Karana ♡54♡
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Everquest is a registered trademark of Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Project 1999 is not associated or affiliated in any way with Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.