Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 02:58 PM
Kobold

Default I am the warrior

I'm strongly considering warrior to start. I was a paladin for most of my play in live in the past and being a tank really speaks to me more than any magic.

That said, any tips on how I should go about gearing up once green goes live? I've been researching the wiki, but every time I find something it seems like it wasn't around in classic :P

I don't necessarily need your big strats, just some good thoughts on how to go about it.

Should I just be one of the knights instead?
Old 09-21-2019, 03:33 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai

There was a post on the Tanks forum about gearing a warrior that I provided a small amount of mis-information about: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=334292

Fine Plate was available at Blue's launch, which is why I suggested it. However it was apparently added later than the Vanilla Classic Timeline. However, other than that there is hopefully some useful information in my post over there
Old 09-21-2019, 03:39 PM
Planar Protector

If you want to play a Warrior, do so. There's nothing wrong with it. Gearing the three tank types in a launch-era setting is virtually identical other than weapon choice. Shadow Knights have the weakest overall weapon selection of the three tank classes. Paladins and Warriors both have numerous good options. The biggest difference will be the relative experience penalties and leveling rates. Warriors level much more quickly than Paladins or Shadow Knights and aren't shunned by some groups the way the hybrids sometimes are.

You'd wear patchwork/leather at low levels, up to 10ish. Ringmail or banded in the teens, up into the low 20's where you'd want to replace it with Bronze bought off all those mages/necros who rocketed up and are farming sol-B trash by the time you get into the 20's. Bronze can take you at least into the 30's where you start looking either for rubicite or mix-and-match upgrades (azure sleeves, enameled black chestplate, crested helm, etc etc) although tank types who're focused on leveling quickly quite often wear at least some bronze pieces all the way to 50. Expect to most likely be rather multi-colored at 50 prior to the addition of the planes.

Danth
Old 09-21-2019, 04:14 PM
Kobold

Are there any 'must have' items while leveling though? Something to set goals for? I'm not going to rush I don't think but I do want to find groups.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:20 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barantor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are there any 'must have' items while leveling though? Something to set goals for? I'm not going to rush I don't think but I do want to find groups.
My opinion is: Bronze Armor and weapons to hold aggro. The easiest to acquire are probably going to be Obsidian Daggers and Gnoll Hide Lariats.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

Polished Granite Tomahawk is pretty nice early on and can be got around level 15-20 in a group
Old 09-21-2019, 05:42 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Polished Granite Tomahawk is pretty nice early on and can be got around level 15-20 in a group
Is dual wielding the go to for warriors then? I went 2handed on my pally.

I was looking at stuff like the black alloy bastard sword from runnyeye.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:05 PM
Kobold

Yes DW is best for warriors. Gives you more chances to proc your threat weapons.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:19 PM
Sarnak

Dex gear and proc weapons.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Gnoll_Hide_Lariat
and
https://wiki.project1999.com/Polished_Granite_Tomahawk

Probably the best you can hope for, for a long time.

For a list of early magical weapons in general check out this list.
http://www.eqclassic.org/forums/view...a89a48&start=0
Old 09-21-2019, 06:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barantor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was looking at stuff like the black alloy bastard sword from runnyeye.
Don't look too closely at that one. It's post-classic and won't exist on "green" until after Velious opens. The one you'll have access to is blackened iron, which is 20/47--still level appropriate for the 20's and into the 30's, but not something you'll really want to push to 50 with. Most Paladins from mid levels onward will salivate over either the Ghoulbane or the Man-o-war prior to endgame weaponry.

Danth
Closed Thread