Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Large Bat

Default Can't login on my laptop

I've been playing on my desktop for awhile now, but recently have had to swap to my new laptop. I can get to the server select screen, but when I click on the server, the game goes to window out for a sec, and crashes back to the log in screen after a moment of waiting. I'm on windows 7 64 bit, and have tried every fix and troubleshooting process i could find on the forums with no success, and on top of that, when i try to connect to the game through my dial-up connection (which worked fine on my desktop) the game acts like I'm not connected at all. Please help me get this working before kunark.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Planar Protector

your spell file is not up to date
Old 03-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Large Bat

I updated with v5, if it werent updated it would take me to the char select screen and tell me to download the file wouldnt it
Old 03-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Banned

Check your resolution.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Large Bat

Things i've tried so far:

I can log into the Server Select screen, but when I try to connect, the screen goes black and then goes to the login screen again.
There are multiple reasons that could be causing this. Here are some of them:

1. Most likely you are running the wrong version of Everquest. Only Legal copies of Everquest Titanium or Secrets of Faydwer completely unpatched will work.
2. You may want to try other servers to make sure that it isn't a problem on that particular server.
3. If you live in a dorm or are playing at work, you might be using a proxy that is blocking port 5998, which means you won't be able to connect.
4. If you are running a P2P or Torrent program, it might be using all of your bandwidth. Try turning them all off.
5. You may have a firewall that is blocking EQ. Disable all firewalls.
6. If you are running a Dual Core CPU or Windows Vista, you will probably need to read the following post and apply at least one of the fixes listed in it: http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/sho...t=25327∞
7. You may need to adjust your Windows Desktop and/or your Everquest Resolution settings.
8. Make sure your drivers are up to date for your Video Card.
9. If you have sound enabled, make sure your sound card is working.
10. Try resetting your router. If that doesn't help, try connecting your PC directly to your cable/dsl modem and see if that helps.
11. If you previously had another version of EQ installed and installed SoF over the old install (even if you uninstalled EQ before-hand), you will need to uninstall EQ again and delete the Everquest install folder completely, and then install SoF again from scratch. Otherwise, simply installing SoF to a new/different folder than your current EQ install works just fine.

i pulled this from the eqemu faq thread, there was also a section on:

I can get to the login screen, but I get an error saying that the connection timed out when I try to log in.
Either the login server is down, or more likely you need to adjust your eqhost.txt file as described in the play guide. Make certain that there are no extra spaces or carriage returns in the file. Also make sure you didn't accidentally save the file as eqhost.txt.txt or it won't work at all. Also, if you are trying to use EQEmu with an EQLive (Patched) installation instead of directly from the Titanium or Secrets of Faydwer Disks without patching, you will get a connection timed out error as well. In this case, though, it takes considerably longer before the error pops up after trying to log in. When the problem is with your network connection, the LS, or your eqhost.txt file, it should only take about 30 seconds or less to return with the error. But, if you are running a patched version of EQ, it can take minutes before the error pops up, if it ever does at all.

unless this gets fixed i simply have to abandon my chars i suppose, i've been working on this for days now with no success of my own.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56nodnarb [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I updated with v5, if it werent updated it would take me to the char select screen and tell me to download the file wouldnt it
not for me ... when they ninja updated from V4 to V5 without me noticing it, i was getting to server select screen, and then booted back to login, when i relogged in i got an error message about the patch server beeing down and got the server list displayed again ...

do you have EQ installed on C: and are using vista or windows 7? then maybe your files are not updated because UAC prevented the replacing of the files ...

Quote:
unless this gets fixed
this wont magicaly fix it self, its a client side issue ... so on your side
Last edited by Uaellaen; 03-21-2011 at 06:29 PM..
Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Large Bat

Ok, i've made a bit of progress in figuring out whats wrong. I tried this on another computer in the house on my satellite connection and it simply didnt work, but tried again on dialup and it connected fine, though the comp is too slow to play the game. i need some way to fix this problem and i'll be good to go i think:

i'm on an alienware laptop, i connect via USB connected dialup modem, the modem plays WoW and other games just fine, but when i try to connect to EQ, it waits around 30 seconds on t he login screen and says i had a timeout error, almost like EQ cant tell that i'm connected to a network, any suggestions? i think if i can fix this problem itll fix the other one.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Planar Protector

oh so you have a dialup uplink and a satelite downlink?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Large Bat

no, i have dialup and satellite separately, also, i just now tried connecting via dial-up and it let me into the game just fine with absolutely no lag, but upon closing the program and trying again, it timed me out again...