Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 05:28 AM
Aviak

Default Enchanter for a casual player

I'm planning to play a bit of P1999 again once the green server launches.

I used to play a bard on live, but right now I can only do short sessions and have to constantly go AFK. Back in the day I was charm kiting and I simply can't go AFK for a minute and come back with the bard.
Besides that my ping on P1999 is pretty bad (300ms) and I'd rather not get carpal tunnel from the twisting.

A Necromancer would be good, but I assume the Iksar race won't be available yet when it launches and from what I read Iksar is by far the best option for a necro.

Now the enchanter is something I think I'd really enjoy playing and can solo pretty well. However I'm not so sure how "casual" friendly it is. Let's say the door bell rings is it easy to just camp and exit? Because this was impossible with the Bard back in the day. And is it a good class for short (30min) solo sessions or will the preparation for charming take up too much time?

Or would a necro be a better choice even without the iksar natural regeneration?
Old 09-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Sarnak

If the doorbell rings and your charmed pet breaks while camping, you're gonna be in trouble. That being said, I leveled my enchanter by playing fairly casually, so it is doable. There are plenty of times I'd log in, clear a camp (20-30 min), and log out. The charming set up is easy and doesn't require a ton of mana or time. If you envision yourself having to instantly camp every session though, I might suggest necro since you can FD. Or, just bind in the next zone over and gate/unplug.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:06 AM
Planar Protector

Bard charm kiting is way more lenient to afk sessions than enchanter charm kiting if thats your thing.

If you want the panic AFK, just roll monk.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:20 AM
Sarnak

I never understood why people think enchanters are not afk friendly, just bind in a safe spot near your killing spot but far enough so the mobs leash, that way if you have to afk you press gate then /q it doesn't take long at all and it's 100% safe.

If you absolutely want to stay in that area you can also break charm and use a long mez duration so you have time to safely camp. (Enthrall at lvl 16 is already a 48 seconds mez)

At high level you can also use blanket it's amazing.

Sure it's not as convenient as feign death but it's really not that bad.
Last edited by Sacer; 09-01-2019 at 11:23 AM..
Old 09-01-2019, 10:49 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder43 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If the doorbell rings and your charmed pet breaks while camping, you're gonna be in trouble. That being said, I leveled my enchanter by playing fairly casually, so it is doable. There are plenty of times I'd log in, clear a camp (20-30 min), and log out. The charming set up is easy and doesn't require a ton of mana or time. If you envision yourself having to instantly camp every session though, I might suggest necro since you can FD. Or, just bind in the next zone over and gate/unplug.
It wouldn't be every session I hope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. But I still estimate once every 5 sessions, probably the gate/unplug method would be best then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bard charm kiting is way more lenient to afk sessions than enchanter charm kiting if thats your thing.

If you want the panic AFK, just roll monk.
I haven't played in a long time, but the way I used to do it back in the day was I'd round up a bunch of mobs. Charm 1, let the others almost kill him and then break charm and kill him myself.
The only way for me to survive that train of mobs would be with selo and autorun. /quit and hope I'm still alive after that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
But either way with my ping as high as it is I don't think a bard would be good, besides I'm no fan of swarm kiting, I'd rather do some dungeon charming (which I'm pretty sure is disastrous if I have to AFK/camp with my bard, due to the low charm duration).
And I don't like playing a monk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never understood why people think enchanters are not afk friendly, just bind in a safe spot near your killing spot but far enough so the mobs leash, that way if you have to afk you press gate then /q it doesn't take long at all and it's 100% safe.

If you absolutely want to stay in that area you can also break charm and use a long mez duration so you have time to safely camp. (Enthrall at lvl 16 is already a 48 seconds mez)

At high level you can also use blanket it's amazing.

Sure it's not as convenient as feign death but it's really not that bad.
Thanks sounds I'll just give the Enchanter a shot when Green launches, unless for some reason iksars are available at the start and then I'll pick a necro.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:54 AM
Fire Giant

Not sure what you mean by kiting, but if you are charming a mob and not paying attention, then go AFK for a moment, chances are you will be at your bind point when you return.

You mention charming a mob and letting a group of mobs almost kill, then breaking charm to finish it off. Yes, that is one of the best ways to go about things on an enchanter. But, even if you have everything rooted nicely with PE, odds are that once you leave your chair, something bad will happen to you. Such is enchantering. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Fun class, but not an AFK class. If idle and a DE, you can always use Hide, and con a mob to check to see if Hide worked. You just don't want to mess around with leaving a charmed pet alone for any period of time.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:06 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canelek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure what you mean by kiting, but if you are charming a mob and not paying attention, then go AFK for a moment, chances are you will be at your bind point when you return.
Sorry I meant playing as a bard in outdoor zones. There was definitely no way I could go afk until I finished my kiting.

Quote:
You mention charming a mob and letting a group of mobs almost kill, then breaking charm to finish it off. Yes, that is one of the best ways to go about things on an enchanter. But, even if you have everything rooted nicely with PE, odds are that once you leave your chair, something bad will happen to you. Such is enchantering. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Fun class, but not an AFK class. If idle and a DE, you can always use Hide, and con a mob to check to see if Hide worked. You just don't want to mess around with leaving a charmed pet alone for any period of time.
I see in my initial post I put down going afk for a minute. But actually what I was more interested in is if I can have enough time to camp or gate in the middle of a fight. So in case the doorbell rings, wife calls, etc.. I can leave the game without dying every time (which would have been the case back in the day with the bard).

p.s. I was planning on playing the DE enchanter (or a gnome necro)
Old 09-02-2019, 02:39 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabouter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry I meant playing as a bard in outdoor zones. There was definitely no way I could go afk until I finished my kiting.

I see in my initial post I put down going afk for a minute. But actually what I was more interested in is if I can have enough time to camp or gate in the middle of a fight. So in case the doorbell rings, wife calls, etc.. I can leave the game without dying every time (which would have been the case back in the day with the bard).

p.s. I was planning on playing the DE enchanter (or a gnome necro)
Ohhhh I see. Yeah, mezz or AoE mezz then gate away yup.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:27 AM
Fire Giant

Even without being able to pick iksar I'd still roll a necro. The FD and solo power is exactly what you're after when you need to afk at the drop of a hat. Gnomes, Dark Elves etc still get the same spell book as iksars [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-03-2019, 09:10 AM
Planar Protector

You can always die and CR LATER?
Closed Thread