Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 05:18 AM
Fire Giant

Default Druid/Paladin duo

I recently rerolled from wizard. Half because I wanted to do more in the game that port people and quad wyverns, and partly because my sister who mains a paladin is getting to the point where she could use a good partner. Went full in on the reroll, sold most of my wizard's gear and everything.

Originally I rerolled as a shaman, but try as I might I just couldn't get into the class. Made it to 16 before I couldn't take it anymore. I know the class picks up much later, but I just got sick of looking at my troll pretty quickly and none of the other shaman races appealed to me either. I looked up some options and mulled them over. Enchanter seemed good but it also seemed like kind of a show-stealer, and I wanted my sister to be the star there. Necromancer also might have worked, strangely enough, but I decided on Druid in the end.

Just thinking about the future with this soon to be duo and had some questions.
1. Can this duo make it to 60?

2. In your guys' opinion, how well do you think this will work in the endgame? Would we be able to accomplish a lot with this setup?
Old 08-07-2021, 06:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. Can this duo make it to 60?

2. In your guys' opinion, how well do you think this will work in the endgame? Would we be able to accomplish a lot with this setup?
1. Sure it can since each class can do so individually. It's slower than some other duos and will demand patience past level 45-50 or so, but you can get there if you're dedicated.

2. Moderate. It's not a helpless duo, but it's not a powerhouse either. Enchanter- or Shaman- based duos will do more than you can. This is a serious limitation if you plan to play primarily or solely as a duo, but if you figure on being more social it's largely a nonissue. Druid charm might open a few areas like Siren's that few folks care to try. As a rule I think it's a better idea to pick a class you enjoy playing and see what you can do with it rather than trying to force yourself into something you don't like. Pushing the limits is its own sort of fun. The "better" choice won't do you any good at level 60 if you quit long before getting there.

Danth
Old 08-07-2021, 06:19 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. Sure it can since each class can do so individually. It's slower than some other duos and will demand patience past level 45-50 or so, but you can get there if you're dedicated.

2. Moderate. It's not a helpless duo, but it's not a powerhouse either. Enchanter- or Shaman- based duos will do more than you can. This is a serious limitation if you plan to play primarily or solely as a duo, but if you figure on being more social it's largely a nonissue. Druid charm might open a few areas like Siren's that few folks care to try. As a rule I think it's a better idea to pick a class you enjoy playing and see what you can do with it rather than trying to force yourself into something you don't like. Pushing the limits is its own sort of fun. The "better" choice won't do you any good at level 60 if you quit long before getting there.

Danth
Thanks for the response. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I knew druids can solo well, wasn't aware that a paladin could either. I do know that my sister is 45 now though and finding spots she can solo in has been tough. I didn't mind rerolling to help out, partly because I was getting kind of sick of wizard and not being able to group with anyone. Druid itself seems like a pretty fun class so far.

I certainly don't expect to do crazy stuff like duo WW dragons or anything like that with us two. It would just be cool to be able to do more than my wizard was able to. There's still a lot in the game I haven't seen yet, and just being able to level/gear up a bit, then explore through SolB or something for the first time will be fun. Was just wondering if we'd even have some Velious options open up for us as well.

We're not opposed to being social of course and we did consider that having a tank + supporter/porter already set will make forming groups easier when we're able to, but on those offtimes when others can't be counted on it'll be nice to be able to progress as a duo. Maybe no one responds to our LFM check in the Hole one evening or something.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:32 AM
Planar Protector

I wouldn't call the Paladin a "good" melee solo'er past 50, but people have solo'd them to 60 so it's possible. With a Druid partner and some cheap health recovery like a Deepwater Helm it's definitely doable, albeit it won't set speed records. That's all the more reason to pick a class you enjoy playing, since you can expect to be playing it for awhile.

From what you describe as your goals it sounds like the Dru/Pal duo should serve your purpose. With lull splitting you can work your way from Guk or Sol-B through most of Sebilis, some of Velketor, most of the Hole, and so forth. With charm or the use of some click items there's space for more advanced progression and some ability to experiment in some out of the way places. You should be able to do much of Plane of Mischief for example. If I don't call it quite the top tier for duos, it's certainly not junk either, and ought to fit the bill you describe.

Danth
Old 08-07-2021, 06:41 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldn't call the Paladin a "good" melee solo'er past 50, but people have solo'd them to 60 so it's possible. With a Druid partner and some cheap health recovery like a Deepwater Helm it's definitely doable, albeit it won't set speed records. That's all the more reason to pick a class you enjoy playing, since you can expect to be playing it for awhile.

From what you describe as your goals it sounds like the Dru/Pal duo should serve your purpose. With lull splitting you can work your way from Guk or Sol-B through most of Sebilis, some of Velketor, most of the Hole, and so forth. With charm or the use of some click items there's space for more advanced progression and some ability to experiment in some out of the way places. You should be able to do much of Plane of Mischief for example. If I don't call it quite the top tier for duos, it's certainly not junk either, and ought to fit the bill you describe.

Danth
That's awesome to hear, thank you very much. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

We don't expect to be a duo on the level of Cleric/Enchanter or anything like that, but having a good amount of the game be accessible to us is what we were hoping for. And that's not even counting the fact that we could always invite more people who are interested later on as well.

I hear you on the class choice as well. I genuinely think I will like Druid. I liked Wizard but got sick of the class not being able to get into groups (spent a whole day just LFGing in the Hole a while ago, still feeling kinda scarred by that), and I wasn't afraid to reroll from Shaman after I ended up not liking that class either. But the Druid is chugging along pretty nicely and at the moment I can see it being my future main.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:47 AM
Banned

You got like no dps, but you can survive.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:53 AM
Kobold

Uber slow dps, less effective heals, crappy mana regen, limited cc, it might not be efficient but yeah it could work. At least you have sow.
Ielwenu - 56 magician
Deeloofie - 49 monk
Old 08-07-2021, 06:55 AM
Kobold

In your 50s though you could Druid charm in chardok and paci pull.
Ielwenu - 56 magician
Deeloofie - 49 monk
Old 08-07-2021, 07:49 AM
Planar Protector

Just charm animals on the druid and have your sister help out when things are going sideways. It'll be far more efficient than trying to heal / DS / manage the paladin. You'll still be doing the heavy lifting, but it won't quite be the show-stealer that is enchanter (or charming necro for that matter).

Oasis crocs are great to cut your teeth on the method / strategy. From there, you can bounce around the outdoor zones until you get high enough for Cazic Thule. Its one of the highest ZEMs in the game, and you'll want to charm the crocs there until they basically green out. Not sure what level that gets you to, but it will be insane XP.

Maybe after / as a break from CT you could consider doing Overthere and funneling all the braid turn-ins to the paladin for a free OT hammer (bind at HH on the druid and no matter what your sister goes off and does by herself you guys can reunite quickly). In your late 40s you can do Bats n Bugs in SolB, Emerald Jungle has some gorillas, then once you get Call of Karana at 52 you can head over to Chardok for a few levels. You'll probably do 54/55 to 60 exclusively in Bear Pits way down in the bottom of Permafrost. Heck, even Kedge is an option if you want a challenge.

Having the pally there to stun / pick up broken charm pets will essentially take all the risk out of charm solo. Additionally, you don't have to worry about the charmed pet eating 50% of the XP in a duo. Just haste / DS the pet and let it tank until it gets low. Break the pet w/ invis vs animals (dispel it if its hasted / DS), and you and the pally finish it off for full xp. The paladin should only be taking damage when helping you with charm breaks, pulls gone sideways, or finishing off mobs if there is no other animal around to charm and do it for you.

That being said...you can always /who all and add a bard, enc, or shaman and trio with a dedicated slower. This will allow you to sit back and heal / CC and let your sister do some real tanking for a change (bonus points if you still continue to maintain a charm pet too)...and let you go explore some other awesome dungeons (early Permafrost, Splitpaw, Guk, etc).
Last edited by Toxigen; 08-07-2021 at 08:14 AM..
Old 08-07-2021, 08:04 AM
Fire Giant

Like many have said, it does work. It will mainly be doing stuff like charm kill with druid. And pally is there 2 help stun charm breaks, root, stun, backup heal druid. Early levels wont be an issue. But once ur around 50 this will mainly be only way to lvl. As most like hole groups won't really want a druid dps/healer/cc? Not saying you wont find a group as a druid its just rare.

Always play what seems fun[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mama Vinelsier Lepermesiah Server 1st 60 Grave Lord(And only The Grave Lord)//Resilak 50 Monk//Tenchi Masaki 50 Wizard//Jaskieer 48 Bard// Heeheehee Teeheehee 57 Mage// Belll Cranel 50 Monkdrackgon 54 rogue, Cuddlezzz 60 shaman
RIP<Gathered Might>
Closed Thread