Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:22 PM
Planar Protector

Default <Archers Vow> Guide to Archery!

So you have decided to become an archer have you? Good good, sit down and I will teach you what I know.

But be warned....archery is one of the most powerful forces in all of Norrath! You must use your power responsibly!! For example, did you know with a long enough ranged bow and arrow....you can shoot further than any creature can cast a spell?!

Indeed, you may discover that as an archer....you can do things you never dreamed possible. Soloing a sand giant at level 20? Yes, you can do that with a sturdy bow and patience!

Most likely you are a young ranger, so that will be the focus here....paladins, warriors, shadowknights, they can not match a ranger in the art of the bendy branch.

Stats -

To begin, you will need to know that in this world (this server) strength is the most important for an archer....effecting your attack rating and damage with a bow. Perhaps some day this will be fixed to be dexterity as it should be....but not today.

Dexterity is also fairly important. Not only for the increased critical hit chances....but also for the increase chance to proc (and considering 4 of the best bows have procs, it is worthwhile). To give you an idea of what dexterity means for procs....going from 100 to 200 dexterity will DOUBLE your proc rate!

Bow Damage -

You may have noticed that a 20/40 bow doesn't quite act like a 20/40 sword.

That is because bows true stats in comparison to other weapons is actually doubled!

So, that 20/40 bow you hold is really more like a 10/40 sword.

But don't despair! For unlike a sword, bows also benefit from both the range and damage of the arrows they shoot! So a 20/40 bow with 100 range using 8 damage arrows with 50 range effectively gives you a 28 / 40 bow with 150 range (or a 14/40 sword with 150 range).

Haste -

Bows gain the benefit of worn haste (such as flowing black silk sashes)...as well as spell haste.

But they also gain benefit from one additional type of haste, quiver haste!

A quivers haste is equal to 1/3rd of its weight reduction. So a fleeting quiver with 60% weight reduction will give you 20% bow haste on top of any other form you have!!

((At the time of this writing, there is a bug which doesn't apply the worn haste from the rangers epic to bows. It is a bug which is also effecting rogues epics and their backstabs)).

Magical Damage -

To hit magical beings, you must have EITHER a magic bow or a magic arrow. Magical arrows are fletched or summoned.

Arrows -

This is often quite overlooked.... access to arrows are the lifeblood of an archer!

To maximize the time you can spend away from a town, you will need to carry as many bags as possible, with as much space as possible.

Do not try to fletch your own arrows for casual hunting. Not only is this far too costly, but it is also a lot of trouble! You will be going through many hundreds of arrows easily.

Luckily there are merchants around the world who sell a range of different types of arrows!! Memorize the list on this page....these are your dealers....

It is also worth noting that you can buy 3 types of arrows at these vendors (ones that fly further or do more damage). But typically simply this basic arrow will do.

There is also a bracer that can be used at level 46 which summons a stack of 20 arrows. While expensive, it is well worth it to any archer!

The Great 51 (Double Damage) -

Upon reaching level 51, a ranger gains the ability to deal double damage with their shots against non moving and non rooted targets.

Master Archer 55 (Trueshot Discipline) -

Upon reaching level 55, a ranger gains the trueshot discipline. This can be used every 72 minutes, lasts for 2 minutes, and has the effect of doubling the damage of your bow shots (combined with the level 51 double damage, that means 4x damage) as well as giving your bow skills a +12% boost for the duration.

Fletching -

A skill which is handy to have if you can afford to create higher quality arrows for special occasions. You can also craft a variety of bows (including the Trueshot Longbow!) Follow this link for more information on this trade-skill.

Now, that gets the basics out of the way. It is time to dig a little deeper.....

Bow Progression -

((Here is a list of all of the bows a ranger can use, but I will tell you my progression))

I will assume you are a fresh ranger in the world, without a friend in the world. No, don't cry, for the bow shall be the only friend you need.

But to begin you are cold and alone....you must find that first friend....find your first bow!

To do that you will have to go out and hunt decaying skeletons with an....ick....sword. It is dirty work! Not befitting an archer!!! But, there is no other option.

Find ones with weapons, cracked staffs being the best! And sell these things to the merchants in your town! Collect money....lots of money....and then learn to fletch.

While you could create a hickory bow fairly quickly, it isn't powerful enough for a true archer. No, you must hold out. Save your money and keep learning to fletch....until...you have almost 60 skill (though the trivial is 68, so it might be worth it to hold out just a little longer for that)!! Then, go and create your first bow...a strong one made of elm!!

Elm, Hemp - 13/51 - Range 75

After that you must continue to hunt...and continue to practice your fletching....for while the elm bow is mighty, you have your sights on something greater....the legendary Trueshot Longbow!! This quest can be done alone starting at level 9 (when you can go to steamfont mountains and hunt the clockworks there with snare and bow kiting).

While the skill needed to trivial the Trueshot combine is fairly high, you will be able to attempt it far far sooner (even if it may take you many tries). Begin trying at 120 skill if you are brave....150 skill if you are less brave....and even higher still if you are even more less brave. Luckily each attempt is fairly cheap if you have thought ahead to prepare yourself for many attempts. Eventually you will do it though!! I believe in you!!!

Trueshot Longbow - 20/45 - Range 100

Now, the Trueshot longbow will last you a very long time!! In fact, it should be enough for you until you are 30...or even 35!!!

But if you must have a better bow sooner, there is a small upgrade which you could get at roughly level 20 from the centaurs in Karana.

Runed Oak Bow - 21/43 - Range 125

At 35 to 40 you may start to feel a bit anxious about finally getting a stronger bow. I understand your feels.....it is something all archers experience at some point.

It is time to do the quest for the Bow of the Huntsman !!

But you will likely need some help....for Vluudeen is no push over!!

Still, I'm sure you are resourceful and will figure a way to get her tail....and then take it to the giants city.

There, past the wolf pit, you will find Gleed ....whom even if you are an enemy, can sneak behind and turn in the tail for your bow! ((Though there are some see invis guards before him...so....find a monk to distract them, or get a little bit of giant faction so they are dubious).

Bow of the Huntsman - 20/30 - Range 180 (proc spirit strike, an 81 DD)

After that, it is up to you!! The huntsmans bow will take you to 50 and beyond! But never stop searching for a better bow! Adventure to the furthest reaches of Norrath!

The Bow-Sword (BFG) -

Without a multiquest...you can not get the Breezeboot's Frigid Gnasher on p99 any longer. It is a legendary bow-sword! The only bow that you can use with in your primary! And melee with! (Each swing taking your arrows)

Holding Weapons for Stats -

It is very worth it to consider holding unique weapons purely for their stats as an archer.

For example, here are two swords which go well in an archers hands.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Glowing_Black_Sword

http://wiki.project1999.com/Velium_Swiftblade

Look before you shoot -

Did you know an arrow shot will hit the first thing it comes in contact with in its flight path? (provided it is an enemy or wall). Just be careful of this in situations where enchanters are mezzing...or where friendly npcs are walking about.

Also, this can be used to your advantage by targeting a creature further away from you and positioning so the creature next to you is between you and your target.... I'm not too sure why you would want to do this, but you can for point-blank archering.

Grouping as an archer -

Using archery in a group is a highly debatable issue.

It largely depends on the status of your bow, the type of group, and type of weapons you have.

For example, in a group with a mage using its pet to tank...and no healer....using your bow makes, by far, the most sense (adding in your DD spells between shots to do decent damage).

In a more traditional group, you will have to compare your melee damage to your bow. Most likely though you will want to use your swords, and use your bow to damage enemies before they get to the team.

Always being aware of agro and controlling the situation or off healing. Remember, flame lick is very powerful to taunt with....only being a real problem if an enchanter is trying to mesmerize it.

Archery Techniques -

((Note on spells: Call of sky type spells do not work with bows))

The time has come to discuss the techniques behind being an archer.....for being a good archer is far more than simply shooting your bow!!!!

Tactics: Strafe Kite

This is a technique you can do beginning at level 1! Using strafe to travel forward and to the side at the same time...you can run just slightly faster than normal. Bow kiting using only this technique is possible without being hit....but it takes some time to master, and is only to be used in desperation.

Tactics: Snare-kiting

This is the most basic of techniques which you will be able to do starting at level 9 when you learn to snare. Simply snare the creature and run! Turning to face the creature and fire an arrow now and then!

Tactics: Hate-kiting

This is a more advanced technique which relies on another level 9 spell...flame lick! This spell is extremely aggravating to enemies, meaning they will focus on you exclusively. Use this to your groups advantage by taking the agro from monsters and running around as you shoot!

Combining this with snare means the monster will be slow enough for your team to hit.

This technique is useful far past the starting areas of the world!

Tactics: Spell Shooting -

Using spells in-between your shots is an easy way to add extra functionality to your damage. At level 15 you will gain your first DD spell....use this between shots and you will be able to boost your damage per second at ranged dramatically!

Tactics: Root-n-shoot -

At level 15 you also gain your first root spell! This is extremely valuable as you can root monsters and fire at them without risking the root breaking from arrow shots.

Not only that, but between shots you are free to sit down and meditate....standing for but a split second to fire another arrow before sitting again. Doing this you can keep a creature rooted forever while shooting them.

Don't be afraid to use your dots as well (including flame lick). Any extra damage is welcome to supplement your bow shots!

Advanced Technique (51+) - Windstepping

As you know, at level 51 your bow shots do double damage to creature which are not rooted or moving. While in group situations this is easy to pull off....alone it was thought to be impossible.

That is, before I discovered a new technique! The Windstep!

To perform this secret technique...simply run directly at the creature and shoot right before you come to it. If you time this correctly, by the time your shot reaches the target...you will be running on top of the creature (and it will have stopped moving). This allows the arrow to hit for double damage as you continue forward. It becomes easier to time if the monster is snared.

Now go!! Become a great archer!!! Show the world what we can do!!!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-26-2016, 07:38 AM
Kobold

Fantastic article!
Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I have a low level Ranger that I have been working on that I really enjoy playing. I have collected everything needed for crafting my Trueshot but I was getting frustrated at the cost/time involved to get my fletching skill up high enough. Now after reading this I really want to give it another go!

Classic:
Gruemm - Dwarven Scout of Fennin Ro
Member of the Grudge Bearers
Old 05-26-2016, 08:33 AM
Fire Giant

Awesome write-up. Is there a wiki page for this yet? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Planar Protector

The only problem is I forgot

Tactics: Sneak Pulling -

While an archers harmony spell is great for outdoors....sometimes there isn't time to memorize it, or an archer finds themselves indoors needing to pull. This is where using sneak to pull with a bow comes in handy!

This is a little difficult to explain....but basically, when sneaking if you are behind enemies, they will not agro other enemies around them unless the enemies around them are facing the creature you are pulling and / or you.

Using this, you can tag pulls off of a monk feign deathing a train....shooting the last one walking back to their spawn points safely (even if it is very close to the rest of the group walking back).
Old 05-26-2016, 07:25 PM
Aviak

Thanks for this, could you also go into recommended zones/mobs for bow kiting at different level ranges?
Old 05-26-2016, 07:38 PM
Planar Protector

Bump for awesomeness

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 05-26-2016, 07:50 PM
Fire Giant

Stagwolf inspects the large bear track on the ground, sniffs the dirt and looks in an eastward direction. "There is a kodiak near, its pelt and meat will serve Tunare in a different fashion."

Adding to the guide is a few suggestions, hunt near merchants who sell your arrows, basically track blue to yellow mobs, snare and kite away [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Archers always have the pulse of their next target, ready to loose an arrow into the heart of their next mark.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanks77 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for this, could you also go into recommended zones/mobs for bow kiting at different level ranges?
Here are just some places I like....I'm sure there are a lot more too. Once I find a nice spot near some arrow merchants, I tend to hunker down for a while (like on the Firiona Vie cliffs, or Dreadlands). I also found myself stuck in less than ideal places for a really long time as I tried to get better bows (hunting tizmaks to eventually track Vluudeen....or staying in wakening lands for a very very long time trying to get a chance at wuoshi)).

1-12 : It doesn't make much difference. Tons of places around every starting area.

12-15 : Unrest, Oasis, Bandits in Faydark, Steamfont mountains, Karana.

15-30 : Upper guk (shamans are a pain though), Oasis, Unrest, The Overthere, Lake of Ill Omen (better since closer to Firiona Vie for arrows), Karana, mistmoore, Aviaks (karana). Since you have root, you can even hunt in tighter spots (like upper guk).

30-35 : (30 you get sow!!) Firiona Vie cliffs, Lake of Ill Omen, Velious Tizmaks outside of thurgadin (to start to try and camp Vluudeen, but you will need help with the fight).

35-40 : Dreadlands, FV cliffs, wakening lands (tigeraptors near dragons city)

40-46 : Tigeraptors in wakening lands, Dreadlands, Oasis spectres (I don't like them too much though, they proc a lifetap even at a little distance...though you can outshoot it).

46-51 : Dreadlands! I really liked it there. Burning wood in theory, but I wasn't a fan.

51+ .....dunno. At this point can kill most anything that doesn't summon or cast (casters are annoying!). Kited some of armors in wakening lands...did ice giants outside of permafrost....went to western wastes and killed some of the rhinos....
Old 05-26-2016, 08:44 PM
Planar Protector

Why are you buying arrows when you're a ranger? MAKE them!! Ivory, you are good at what you do, but here you're wrong.

FACTS

1) It costs 4gp to make 5 stacks of the basic CLASS 1 Wood Point Arrow (8sp per stack)

2) Those 5 stacks of arrows take up 4 inventory slots before you make them. 10 stacks of arrows are 8 stacks before they're made. Space-saving!

3) Those same arrows have these stats: 1dmg / 50rng (vendor bought arrows are 1dmg / 25rng)

Bonus fact 4) Silver-tipped arrows make 10 at a time, meaning that 4 stacks of mats is really 10 stacks of arrows! (These are much more expensive, though.) (Please note that only rangers really benefit from the higher end arrows!)

Here is CSA's info on how to determine arrow stats based on materials used

Here is CSA's prices sheet for fletching materials (every combination in game) (prices are the totals for 1 stack of each material, which is 5 stacks of arrows)

The initial cost of leveling up fletching past the trivial on the basic arrow can be literally nothing (trivial on those is 16, you can reach 21 at your guild master).

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 05-26-2016, 09:38 PM
Fire Giant

It's a tragedy that this thread had no better place than the melee forum.
Closed Thread